1.    #1  
    I was listening to TWiT July 3 podcast and they said that like the IPHONE 4 the Pre drop calls or loose signal if you hold it a certain way.

so I try to covering my Pre with my whole hand while making a call and no lost of signal..

have any of you experience this or TWiT defending Iphone?
    yep, i just posted this in another thread. Someone I know that used to work for a mobile phone company showed me that you can do this with any cell phone. I asked if the Pre was immune because it is plastic, and he said that doesn't matter.

He held my Pre in the left-handed death grip and then cupped his right hand over the front to that he touched his left and right hands on both sides of the phone. All that was showing was the top half of the screen. I went from 5 bars to 2 bars, and my 3G connection dropped to 1xEV. Needless to say, I was astounded... and I didn't understand one word of his explanation about attenuation, etc...

Ps, I rarely have a dropped call, even when applying the death grip.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    in the last year of heavy usage, I've dropped 3 calls.
    Very rarely do I experience dropped calls, mostly depends on how good the network coverage is where I am at, if I am in a good area, almost never (Sprint).
    Zero dropped calls with my six-week-old Sprint Pre so far. Since the reason I finally dumped my Treo 650 was that almost every other call was getting dropped, this is frankly amazing. I was ready to drop Sprint completely, but glad I didn't—I just feel dumb for having put up with that for so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_singh View Post
    I was listening to TWiT July 3 podcast and they said that like the IPHONE 4 the Pre drop calls or loose signal if you hold it a certain way.

so I try to covering my Pre with my whole hand while making a call and no lost of signal..

have any of you experience this or TWiT defending Iphone?

LOL just saying that's BS..... if the Pre had a dropped call problem due to design, it woulda been all over here LONG before the iphone 4 came out.

Ohhh and on sprint, I find our phones to be as reliable if not better than our Centros were. Issues come about based on single strength in location but not the phone itself.
    I've had no dropped calls unless talking to an iPhone user.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Mine only dropped some calls in the schools basement. Yes every phone loses signal but not to the point the iphone4 does. Ive read average 10-15% loss on attenuation due to shadowing (signal being blocked by body mass) compared to the iphone 40+%. I have read the iphones is due to grounding or shorting issues this amplifies the problem to the point of dropping calls. Makes sense if you touch 2 antennas working on different frequencies that they will short out. If you take the Pre's battery cover off you can see the antennas. 1 next to the speakerphone 1 on the side by the camera and the last one at the bottom. They are the gold looking pieces. I have tried covering them and its still EV and can call/browse the web. Also notice how the touchstone cover magnet and assembly is in the middle of the phone away from the antennas. As much as I think the phone had sub-par build quality specially with the slider the engineering is not as bad as the iphone4 but then again you can say that about basically any phone.
    don't think I ever had drop call
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I had one about two days ago. Was shocked as it had never happened before. The phone announced by message that the call had been dropped.
    I don't think that it's the Pre's fault.
    But I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the pre (this was before Verizon had it) and I have many, way to many dropped calls.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    i have had multiple dropped calls due to bad signal but the roam only patch never a drop call...just sometimes i don't even get the call and it goes straight to voicemail if they even leave me a message. The roam only patch helps but not fully since sometimes i don't even receive the call [sprint network]
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    But I switched from Verizon to Sprint to get the pre (this was before Verizon had it) and I have many, way to many dropped calls.
    As I experienced with the Treo, if it's dropping a lot in a strong signal area, there could be a problem with that unit's radio. It might be worth doing a swap to see if the problem persists with another phone.
    I've dropped one call in more than a year -- and I was in a roaming situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    It's possible you are in a bad Sprint coverage area..... as said before try the force roam only patch (or I believe you can manually change this setting as well without a patch). Sprint roams on VZW towers, so you shouldn't have to much issue, unless you are in an area where the phone is constantly trying to get back to it's "home" sprint tower over the roaming VZW tower (this is where the force roam comes into play).

The other suggestion, is it is possible you are having a radio problem (it does happen), so you may want to go into a Sprint store and have em test the radios. There are people that have gone in and gotten their phone tested and had it replaced based on the radio not performing up to spec.

Personally I have been on sprint for years, 5 or 6 phones, never had call quality issues anywhere I have been in CA and Nevada (other than the obvious mountains where there is no cell service some times). I think the wife is on her 4th or 5th Sprint phone with the same results.
    Only if I'm in the basement garage where there's barely some spotty signal. I blame Bell for that.

My friend's AT&T Pre Plus on Rogers gets full bars at the same location.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here