Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    iPhone 4 has antenna/reception issues when it is held a certain way. While I don't believe all of Apple's excuses and explanations regarding this situation, some of their responses are being confirmed.

More and more tech analysts are saying that holding various smartphones "the wrong way" relative to their respective antenna orientations will cause phones, including the Palm Pre, to drop their calls/lose their signals.

I wondered if any of you have experienced this on the Pre? What's the "wrong way" to hold the Pre?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    iPhone 4 has antenna/reception issues when it is held a certain way. While I don't believe all of Apple's excuses and explanations regarding this situation, some of their responses are being confirmed.

More and more tech analysts are saying that holding various smartphones "the wrong way" relative to their respective antenna orientations will cause phones, including the Palm Pre, to drop their calls/lose their signals.

I wondered if any of you have experienced this on the Pre? What's the "wrong way" to hold the Pre?
    Upside-down.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Upside-down.
    LOL....

as a side note.. another poster point out this article wich basically says there No wrong way to hold a Pre Consumer Reports Disses The iPhone 4!)
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've seen no evidence to suggest that the Pre really cares which
    way you hold it. The IPhone4's problem is that the antennas are
    in direct contact with your skin and when you touch both antennas
    at once in a particular area, it degrades reception. People keep talking about
    using a full cover, but I wonder why they haven't tried something simple
    like a strip of scotch tape or a screen cover over the critical area.

ian

according to consumer reports new investigation the pre, and the 3gs don't have the iphone 4s antenna problems.
    furthermore, consumer reports has a fully isolated and controlled testing facility with the ability to directly and accurately measure the problem, while controling specific variables.

having said that, i find that if i cup my pre in both hands, after a 30 seconds i will see a few bars drop, but then in another 30 seconds, they will return, while im still holding it, dunno what THAT means.

"
    We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3G S and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.

Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that "mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

The tests also indicate that AT&T's network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4's much-reported signal woes."

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/2010/07/apple-iphone-4-antenna-issue-iphone4-problems-dropped-calls-lab-test-confirmed-problem-issues-signal-strength-att-network-gsm.html
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    according to consumer reports new investigation the pre, and the 3gs don't have the iphone 4s antenna problems.
    furthermore, consumer reports has a fully isolated and controlled testing facility with the ability to directly and accurately measure the problem, while controling specific variables.

having said that, i find that if i cup my pre in both hands, after a 30 seconds i will see a few bars drop, but then in another 30 seconds, they will return, while im still holding it, dunno what THAT means.

"
    We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3G S and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.

Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that "mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

The tests also indicate that AT&T's network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4's much-reported signal woes."

Consumer Reports Electronics Blog: Lab tests: Why Consumer Reports can't recommend the iPhone 4
    beat ya to it
    ive never had any problems with signal dropping by holding the pre a certain way. but i have noticed that if you slide open the pre you get better signal on both phone and wifi.
    What's the "wrong way" to hold the Pre?

I suppose I will probably get flamed for responding: "On a two year contract."
    Never dropped a call with my Pre.
    This is in San Francisco which is notorious for iphone dropped calls.
    Pre has great reception and sound quality
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I suppose I will probably get flamed for responding: "On a two year contract."
    youre right, always No Contract would be great, but than you would pay more for the phone...

Hmmmm unless you meant..

SHAME on YOU!
    lol. Now that was funny.
    Oh, and San Fran is like a home base for Sprint reception which is why you don't drop calls with a Pre.

Funny that they don't have 4G though.... Doesn't matter I guess since nobody can find an EVO.
    Any way, imo, because the radio on the phone is a busted piece of crap that won't even roam reliably.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    The Palm Pre is bringing ambidexterity to you.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    youre right, always No Contract would be great, but than you would pay more for the phone...

Hmmmm unless you meant..

SHAME on YOU!

Oh, I (mostly) kid; (I mostly) kid.
    I think people are getting a bit obsessive with this holding <insert phone model here> wrong. People are seeing problems where none exist just because Steve Jobs said **ALL** phones lose signal when held in certain ways. He was trying to do damage control due to a gross design flaw in **HIS** phone. Perhaps there is some attenuation, but here in San Antonio I can usually get a signal on my Sprint personal phone when my AT&T work phone has zero bars and can't connect to the tower.
  17.    #17  
    That's a different issue.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    All you need to know right here at this link! This antenna tutorial uses the Pre to show examples of "Inverted F Antennas" commonly used in cell phones, which are easily visable on the Pre with the back cover off.

So if you think you're not getting good reception, try extending the phone and holding it with your fingers, and not cradled in your palm. Because with any phone (Apple's right on this), you're hand will attenuate the RF signal. So a little spacing between your hand and the phone might help a little. The great thing is you have the "luxury" of putting your fingers anwhere you like! Unlike the iphone...;-)

Antennas: The Inverted-F Antenna (IFA)
    I grabbed my phone with both hands and covered it completely up. Yes I lost signal. Must be a defect.
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Upside-down.
    This has been confirmed.
    I can't hear a thing the other person is saying when holding it that way.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast