Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    I will not consider your response Tomi.

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    I think Jobs' biggest success here is convincing people that it's your hand blocking the phone that is the issue on the iPhone 4. Instead, it's a much larger problem that if you bridge the two antennas, signal greatly drops. Not only that, it's a spot that you can easily accidentally touch in normal use, hence the 'death grip' term.

Sure, all phones have some signal attenuation when you block their antennas. The iPhone 4, with its external antennas, is the only one that I know of that loses signal with just a touch to a specific area.

That being said, I do think that the issue is overstated, because if you're in a good signal area, then it probably won't affect you that much. Even still, it's just poor engineering from a company that usually doesn't make that kind of mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Yes, all phones suffer when you obscure the antenna. The iPhone4's specific antenna design makes this problem more localized and more severe.

agreed, I was just shocked by the poll results on the front page as of now after testing it my self.

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    That's not very friendly...
    there is a need for sarcastic font. lol

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    There is a difference between a "death grip" and simply bridging two metal pieces of the phone with a couple of fingers or your palm - no pun intended Jobs and co were simply comparing apples to oranges (again no pun intended) in the press conference.
    I think most phones will suffer some signal loss when smothered by your hand. The thing with the Pre is that it does not go from 5 bars to no service when put in the death grip.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 07/19/2010 at 05:21 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I have Verizon and even in the data center I am in now my siganl strength is 5 Bars. sitting on my TS
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    who tries to crush their phone when they are talking on it? i hold my pre with my thumb, index, and middle finger when i'm talking on it...
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    Jobs is right in the since that it is possibly to hold any phone a certain way and lose signal, it just requires bridging the two antennas in the phone.

So theoretically if you was to create a bridge between the two antennas on the Palm Pre you will lose signal.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Maybe I'm just not holding it wrong
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    OMG..

The issue isnt, never was and never will be the 'death-grip' - CR clearly showed that if you touch the antennae joint on the outside of the iPhone4, reception quality drops and eventually you will have a dropped call.

What Mr. Jobs did was what magicians do.. its called "misdirection" he ignored the complaint and discussed an issue that many smartphones do have, including the iPhone4; since they are both similar, many who didnt read the article will see what Jobs says and dismiss the CR article..

He is and was counting on the simplistic and gullibility of most people who don't pay attention to anything but the headlines of an article, and he was right!

I'll say it once more: this has NOTHING to do with any "Death Grip" .. the issue is specific to the iPhone4 with its uniquely deisgned external antennae.. touch it where that joint is and watch the signal drop. Keep touching it while you are on a call and you won't have to hang up on your own!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

jobs is a tool
    Is he actually gripping the phone in like a plush ball?

I actually hold my phone like that in a regular basis, except in my left, because the Pre is small enoug to rest easily between my forefinger and my pinky, my paslm is pressed against the left and mt thumb is either scrolling or resting on the top. I don't notice signal degradation (provided I actually have a signal, aka, I'm not at my house). Even now I'm gripping the phone like a dounce while sitting at three bars and it's not moving, so. YMMV I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think Jobs' biggest success here is convincing people that it's your hand blocking the phone that is the issue on the iPhone 4. Instead, it's a much larger problem that if you bridge the two antennas, signal greatly drops. Not only that, it's a spot that you can easily accidentally touch in normal use, hence the 'death grip' term.

Sure, all phones have some signal attenuation when you block their antennas. The iPhone 4, with its external antennas, is the only one that I know of that loses signal with just a touch to a specific area.

That being said, I do think that the issue is overstated, because if you're in a good signal area, then it probably won't affect you that much. Even still, it's just poor engineering from a company that usually doesn't make that kind of mistake.
    Exactly... the main difference is that the iPhone 4 has an external antenna that can in effect be "shorted" by the conduct touch of human skin. Thats WHY antennas on cell phones, external and internal have been covered with non-conductive materials for years. Its also why the bumper solution works for the iPhone... because it creates a shield between the antenna and the skin of the user.

Yes... anyone who knows a thing about antennas and cell phones know that if you block the signal you dont get good signal right? Thats why you cant talk in tunnels and large brick buildings. The human body is a great shield for blocking signals as well. Thats why you can walk around the room with an old radio and affect the signal it was receiving just by where you were standing, and why rabbit ears on televisions needed to be moved around sometimes to pick up a better signal. Certainly... if you cover the antenna up in any cell phone well enough its going to lose signal.
    Just put the invisible shield on the iPhone 4 metal sides and you will be fine. Anyhow, I have not dropped a phone call with my Verizon Pre Plus because of the way I hold my Pre Plus.
    The public could care less. I dont know one person who is thinking of buying a Iphone and is changing there mind. heck if Sprint got it tomorrow I still would try it.
    The poll came at a funny time for me. I was on my Sprint Pre talking to Verizon about my mom's Pixi Plus. I live in a Sprint low-signal area and Verizon great signal area. I kind of held the Pre in a death grip without really realizing it, and a few seconds later the call dropped. Then I saw the poll an hour later and voted. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    OMG..

The issue isnt, never was and never will be the 'death-grip' - CR clearly showed that if you touch the antennae joint on the outside of the iPhone4, reception quality drops and eventually you will have a dropped call.

What Mr. Jobs did was what magicians do.. its called "misdirection" he ignored the complaint and discussed an issue that many smartphones do have, including the iPhone4; since they are both similar, many who didnt read the article will see what Jobs says and dismiss the CR article..

He is and was counting on the simplistic and gullibility of most people who don't pay attention to anything but the headlines of an article, and he was right!

I'll say it once more: this has NOTHING to do with any "Death Grip" .. the issue is specific to the iPhone4 with its uniquely deisgned external antennae.. touch it where that joint is and watch the signal drop. Keep touching it while you are on a call and you won't have to hang up on your own!

I agree 100%. I do not believe that Jobs was correct. This is not a death grip issue.
    Regardless of this death grip or whatever it's called. Iphone is the one in the media, not my little pre.

I tried that little experiment, and the bars did go down a little. Phone still work perfectly though.
    Not enough in the world for "death grip" becoming an actual term for holding the phone in the palm of your hand. JFC.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast