Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    After hearing about Steve Jobs' Press conference on the iPhone 4 "antenna issues", I wanted to verify his claim that "smartphones aren't perfect" and that this issue affects most or all smartphones. I was skeptical as I had never seen this issue on my Pre, nor really any phone for that matter.

It's possible to see the signal strength in the ##debug# menu on the Pre, so I tried to see if I could hold the phone in such a way as to degrade the signal by a few bars. What I discovered was that if you hold the Pre in the same awkward way as basically any of the phones in question (Apple pointed out the Bold 9700 and Droid Eris had the same problem), my Pre's signal degraded by around 20 dBm - from -80 dBm to -100 dBm, which also incidentally translated to a drop from 5 bars to 2 bars.

Having found this for myself, it makes me really respect Apple's decision to include a free case with every iPhone 4. This issue really is a non-issue, as Jobs pointed out, because it affects tons of smartphones in the exact same way. I don't hold my phone when I'm on a call in such a way as to degrade the signal so significantly, and I don't think that's the case with the iPhone either.

Anybody else try this?
    If you believe what Steve said I feel sorry for you my friend Its a design flaw nothing more and nothing less i have never had any other phone no matter how i hold it drop calls because i am holding it a certain way.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I know that Rubinstein would sell his soul to get even a quarter of those sales in 3 weeks for the Palm Pre. That's a FACT, Jack. LOL!
    No, actually it's still an opinion. You don't know for sure that Rubinstein would "sell his soul", as a matter of fact, you don't know for sure that anyone would be willing to buy it.

There's little doubt that Ruby would like to have the type of sales that you're talking about, just as there is little doubt that Apple would like to have the type of market penetration for their OS as Microsoft does, or that they would like to have the computer distribution success that Palm's parent company has.

However, a desire for increased sales wasn't really the topic here. You somehow equated Apple's current sales of iPhones as evidence of your "fact" that Apple's reputation wasn't harmed by the antenna incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    I don't know. Look it up. But, I do know that only 1.7% have returned the iPhone 4 vs 6% that returned the iPhone 3GS with the initial launch for both products? So, I would say the policy change is a moot point. Appeasing the dumb media and CR because if they didn't offer it, the media and CR would find some reason to B****!
    Again, you keep the topic changing. You offered the conclusion that Apple reputation was not harmed, then implied that the return policy they offered was the same as the return policy everyone else offers.

Now, at least, you are acknowledging that there was indeed a change. If it was "moot", then why did Apple offer the change. More importantly, why are they restricing the amount of time they are offering the change?

I suspect your love of the phone is blinding you to some realities.

Apple made a mistake
    They were slow to respond properly to the mistake
    They realized their mistake, and knew it was costing them, both in reputation and in bad press.
    They made an attempt to correct that mistake.

Of course, you seem to not want to acknowledge that it was a mistake. Sorry guy, Apple doesn't hold this type of press conference simply to say "see, we told you". The altered their policies, and offered free cases, for a reason.

If the vast majority of iPhone 4 owners ask for the cases (and most will, whether they need them or not), it will cost Apple millions. A company doesn't throw away millions without a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    The latter. Ok with you?
    To each his own I guess, but it's sort of pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    In our Sprint-weak part of rural Wisconsin, the antenna death grip DOES apply to my Sprint Pre reception. I can go from 4 bars to 0-1 bar just by holding my Pre along both sides near the top. When I just hold it with 1 finger on each side, then the bars go right back up to 4-5. Takes about 7-10 seconds or so for both shifts, just like in the Apple videos. So I'd tend to go with the radio vs meatbag theory and not get too excited about it. Would like a nice bumper for Pre that could prevent it though!
    You won't find a "nice bumper for Pre that could prevent it", because you are talking two totally different problems. The bumper does not increase the signal, it decreases the possibility of shorting across the antennas. That possibility doesn't exist on the Pre.
    honestly, this video is not releated to Pre. It's about what is Antenna gate. The video is comming from Taiwan's NMA news. They created a lot of animations about the hot events.
    It's very interesting, u don't have to understand Chinese to watch it.

My Pre dropped called ledt and right in doors and at home. Pre had a reception issues and it had nothing to do with how you hold it. Alot of us had that with the Pre . Sprint gave us Free Airraves . Helped at home but my Pre drops calls all the time in buildings that other phones dont. My wife gave me back the Pre after I gave it to her . She works in a school and was dropping calls left and right.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    My Pre dropped called ledt and right in doors and at home. Pre had a reception issues and it had nothing to do with how you hold it. Alot of us had that with the Pre . Sprint gave us Free Airraves . Helped at home but my Pre drops calls all the time in buildings that other phones dont. My wife gave me back the Pre after I gave it to her . She works in a school and was dropping calls left and right.
    I don't think anyone is saying that the Pre never dropped calls; what (some) folks are saying is that the issue the iPhone is having is not common to other phones, as Jobs claimed it was. The Pre dropping calls indoors was consistent, in that it happened inside buildings in certain areas. This is different than the problem the iPhone is having.
    I tried the death grip shortly after seeing the press conference videos. I thought I found the death grip with my pre plus, but after trying it a few minutes after my first test I cannot seem to replicate the same results. I live in a building that was not built for cellphone reception and I know my phone struggles to get signal. You can literally lose data connection in my apartment, but I still managed to even gain bars with the death grip in place. Even went outside to see if I could lose it and had full bars the entire time.
    My Pre will drop a call if I hold i in both hands and covering the entire phone. iPhone you just touch it in the wrong place. I dont think you can compair the two. I cant get mine to drop any bars with one hand. Even trying the Jobs grip of death. The Pre is just a superior phone in that way. Now if it would just stop falling apart on me.
    My Pre also drops the call when I pull the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    After hearing about Steve Jobs' Press conference on the iPhone 4 "antenna issues", I wanted to verify his claim that "smartphones aren't perfect" and that this issue affects most or all smartphones. I was skeptical as I had never seen this issue on my Pre, nor really any phone for that matter.

It's possible to see the signal strength in the ##debug# menu on the Pre, so I tried to see if I could hold the phone in such a way as to degrade the signal by a few bars. What I discovered was that if you hold the Pre in the same awkward way as basically any of the phones in question (Apple pointed out the Bold 9700 and Droid Eris had the same problem), my Pre's signal degraded by around 20 dBm - from -80 dBm to -100 dBm, which also incidentally translated to a drop from 5 bars to 2 bars.

Having found this for myself, it makes me really respect Apple's decision to include a free case with every iPhone 4. This issue really is a non-issue, as Jobs pointed out, because it affects tons of smartphones in the exact same way. I don't hold my phone when I'm on a call in such a way as to degrade the signal so significantly, and I don't think that's the case with the iPhone either.

Anybody else try this?
    my Pre does not have reception at all when I put inside shielded steel box!!! I guess Steve is right - all phones have that issue...
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-usp45 View Post
    my Pre does not have reception at all when I put inside shielded steel box!!! I guess Steve is right - all phones have that issue...
    Which brings up the age-old philosophical question:

If a phone gets drops a signal and no one can see it happen, is it still an Apple product?
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/19/2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Ooops, left out "still"
    Toyota has the reputation of having an issue causing the car to accelerate uncontrollably.
    I can repeat the issue on my Honda Pilot by twisting my foot in such a way to bind it under the brake pedal.

See, Honda has the same issue.
    Just call me Berd.
    WRONG WAY TO HOLD A PALM PRE CONFIRMED:

While charging with a wall charger, do NOT, hold while standing in a running shower.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No, actually it's still an opinion. You don't know for sure that Rubinstein would "sell his soul", as a matter of fact, you don't know for sure that anyone would be willing to buy it.

There's little doubt that Ruby would like to have the type of sales that you're talking about, just as there is little doubt that Apple would like to have the type of market penetration for their OS as Microsoft does, or that they would like to have the computer distribution success that Palm's parent company has.

However, a desire for increased sales wasn't really the topic here. You somehow equated Apple's current sales of iPhones as evidence of your "fact" that Apple's reputation wasn't harmed by the antenna incident.
    Apple would like to have the type of market penetration for their OS as Microsoft does
    BUT, not at the expense of the profits they make on their hardware. Which is, obviously, more important to Apple than selling a ton of cheap PCs as HP does.

Apple's iPad may extend company's PC profit pole position | ZDNet

As quoted from the article...

Apple only accounts for 7 percent of the PC industry’s revenue, but lands 35 percent of the sector’s profit.
    So, HP wastes all that time selling all those cheap PCs and Apple still comes away with more profits than HP.

or that they would like to have the computer distribution success that Palm's parent company has.
    Yep, to sell a ton of cheap PCs, while Apple makes more money in the end with less.

Why do corporations exist? To increase share holder value and Apple does that way better than HP and all those cheap PCs they sell.
    As you may have seen the video, I was a skeptic, until I tried it w/my palm pre.

I was shocked! I had full EVDO service(sprint) and lost two bars of service when giving my phone the "death grip." Then upon releasing my hand full service returns.

In my home(where I tested) my service rarely fluctuates and before I tested it I stared at my service bars for forty five minutes (not really that long) or so (5min) and my service never decreased from 5 bars w/ EVDO.

Im really shocked to see that 84% of PC readers can't replicate the death grip. I'm going to say that thats BS and Jobs was right that all smart phones have this problem to some degree.

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    Perhaps 84% of Pres are fine build quality and yours is an anti-Chuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Again, you keep the topic changing. You offered the conclusion that Apple reputation was not harmed, then implied that the return policy they offered was the same as the return policy everyone else offers.

Now, at least, you are acknowledging that there was indeed a change. If it was "moot", then why did Apple offer the change. More importantly, why are they restricing the amount of time they are offering the change?

I suspect your love of the phone is blinding you to some realities.

Apple made a mistake
    They were slow to respond properly to the mistake
    They realized their mistake, and knew it was costing them, both in reputation and in bad press.
    They made an attempt to correct that mistake.

Of course, you seem to not want to acknowledge that it was a mistake. Sorry guy, Apple doesn't hold this type of press conference simply to say "see, we told you". The altered their policies, and offered free cases, for a reason.

If the vast majority of iPhone 4 owners ask for the cases (and most will, whether they need them or not), it will cost Apple millions. A company doesn't throw away millions without a reason.
    I sum it up this way. They sold more iPhone 4's than they did the last model in the same time frame. They sold an unbelievable 3 million in 3 weeks. Which is simply unheard of for any other product at similar cost. AND I haven't heard of there being tons of people returning them.

So, all the other stuff from the media, bloggers, haters, CR, etc is just noise. So, until you see the iPhone 4 sales drop significantly, or a line of people outside the Apple stores returning them, who cares what Apple does to get the media to shut up.

it will cost Apple millions.
    I'm sure Apple is saving millions with all the free advertising they are getting from the media with the iPhone 4 constantly in the news. That's less commercials Apple has to make to let the public know a new iPhone is out there.

Simple, ignore the noise and look at the results. When I see the sales drop or huge returns, then I will know that the public is not liking the iPhone 4.

But, please do keep up with all the theories. I'll just watch the results.
    I have tested this several times looking at the actual signal strength (You can see it by going to the phone app and entering ##debug#). The drop is usually in the range of 5-10db. The iPhone4's average signal loss when touching the space between the antennas is 20+ Db.

Yes, all phones suffer when you obscure the antenna. The iPhone4's specific antenna design makes this problem more localized and more severe.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast