Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They thought it was hurting their reputation as well, thus the need for a press conference about it.
    makes perfect sense.... They held a pressconference. They are offering free rubberbands and scotch tape advice. They are offering 100 % refunds...because their product is flawed. Why would they offer any of this if it was not?
    but they spun it, dragged rim into it, and acknowledged palm software is good... Just like theirs? why would he bother mentioning it?
    did the design flaw/ apple response hurt apple's " trouble free_ gr8 design" image?
    yes
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/18/2010 at 09:56 AM.

Had Apple just acknowledged the problem up front, instead of blaming users and software, it would have been a non-story. Apple made it into a story.
    They did acknowledge the problem that only affected a few users early on by saying its an issue all phones inherently have. They recommended holding it differently or using a case if this issue affected you. Return it for full refund if not satisfied they said.

Hold differently? Use a case? The nerve. Not good enough.

Things erupt. Apple decides to hold a presser knowing it needed to actually do a presentation (as they always do) to explain such simple concepts. People in general are pretty stupid and Apple knows this...its why they're so successful.

At the presser, they basically repeat themselves yet again saying its something all phone's have a problem with. To use a case. Or get a refund. But throw in free cases as a gesture.

And now everyone is happy. Life goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    Coming from you... that is hilarious.
    I think it hurt their reputation. period
    The sales results say otherwise. So, shall we believe facts or your fiction?
    All those haters - yeah, like Consumer Reports.
    And who besides old people consults Consumer Reports before buying a cell phone?

Do you really think that the 25 - 34 yo target audience that is the largest market that buys cell phones looks to Consumer Reports for advice?

Consumer Reports jumped all over the iPhone 4 story to further their agenda. To make themselves relevant in a world where every tech blog, media, user forums, etc can review products. Thus, making Consumer Reports not that important anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    makes perfect sense.... They held a pressconference. They are offering free rubberbands and scotch tape advice. They are offering 100 % refunds( unheard of in any industry)...because their product is flawed. Why would they offer any of this if it was not?
    but they spun it, dragged rim into it, and acknowledged palm software is good... Just like theirs? why would he bother mentioning it?
    did the design flaw/ apple response hurt apple's " trouble free_ gr8 design" image?
    yes
    They are offering 100 % refunds( unheard of in any industry)...because their product is flawed.
    Really?? Because I just checked Walmart and Target's return policy and they offer a 90 day return policy on just about anything. 30 day return policy on electronics. The same amount of days Apple is offering for the iPhone. There was no mention of a restocking fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Really?? Because I just checked Walmart and Target's return policy and they offer a 90 day return policy on just about anything. 30 day return policy on electronics. The same amount of days Apple is offering for the iPhone. There was no mention of a restocking fee.
    you got me there. man you are really good at this.
    I want to let everyone know... i was hammered when i wrote that lol!!!
    5 hrs of drinking Karl Strauss keg beer at a birthday party... it was a blast.
    100% refund... unheard of in any industry.... stupid drunk

I guess i should have left that one.. very stupid comment out.

100% refund.. unheard of in the cell phone industry. is that any better? last time i checked.. you buy a cell phone, you return it, you pay restocking fee's. also, you are in a contract for up to 2 yrs standard.
    disclaimer : i am hung over ;-)
    is this fact...or fiction?

And who besides old people consults Consumer Reports before buying a cell phone?

I think that this hurt Apple's reputation. so do many others.
    i said "dinged"... not damaged...or destroyed.i am not asking you to believe anything... this is neither fact nor fiction.

I never said it would keep people from buying apple products...Im tired of bashing apple users... because they are sheep . Its not nice.
    So, what do you call the sales people at the Sprint store, or any retailer that STILL carries the Pre?
    you are asking me for my OPINION. this is not a fact, nor is it fiction.

The difference in the two.. IMO- the ones at the sprint store are being themselves and focusing on customer service. The ones at the mac store are trying to be cool... while providing customer service.
    i call people "trying" to be cool .. turds. i know, im sorry, that is not nice.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/18/2010 at 11:53 AM.
    so fly
    on the 8 reasons why apple should fear HP, you stated :

Clutch1222, you make my head hurt. I'm done discussing things with you.
    you find me one another thread ... and start debating with me all over again.

you have the options of making your own opinions... and leaving it at that.

whats up man... did you miss me? ;-)
    Last edited by clutch1222; 07/18/2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Interestingly enough, I cant remember my last "dropped call"....

It was probably WAY back on a generic slab candybar phone with god-knows-what carrier. I remember dropping calls back then, but we're taking about 1999 or so...

I would be annoyed if I dropped -any- call, considering my track record. If Iphone owners are dropping calls repeatedly and in many ways due to a poor antenna design I could see how that would be an annoyance.

Course I've read that the Iphone 4's reception is massively better then previous generations and handles weak signal alot better then before. Is it really an issue or do 99% of iphone users simply enjoy their phone with no problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Interestingly enough, I cant remember my last "dropped call"....

It was probably WAY back on a generic slab candybar phone with god-knows-what carrier. I remember dropping calls back then, but we're taking about 1999 or so...

I would be annoyed if I dropped -any- call, considering my track record. If Iphone owners are dropping calls repeatedly and in many ways due to a poor antenna design I could see how that would be an annoyance.

Course I've read that the Iphone 4's reception is massively better then previous generations and handles weak signal alot better then before. Is it really an issue or do 99% of iphone users simply enjoy their phone with no problems?
    apple reports 99% of users are not experiencing issue's. that is good news for iphone users.
    It was enough of an issue for CR to unrecommended the phone, based on a design flaw.
    Apple handled the discovery of the flaw poorly... the issue became bigger because of it... imo
    Iphone 4 is still the best phone out right now... offering great new features and a polished OS. its not the best choice for me for many reasons...1 major reason is no physical keyboard. personal preference.

the issue can be avoided.. remedied ... etc.
    I kind of equate this to the iPad.

Remember when Apple first announced the iPad in January and it was COMPLETELY different than what people were expecting. No multitasking, not a desktop OS, etc. etc. It was just an "oversized iPhone".

Everyone (to include all the tech blogs) thought this was the wrong decision on behalf of Apple, it was bound to flop.

Fast forward six months and Apple still can't keep them on the shelves.

Granted, this is somewhat comparing apples to oranges, but the ideology is the same. Is this really a problem or something that is making people a lot of money so they're dragging it out for as long as possible? I say the latter because the numbers say so. There have been no mass returns, no mass complaints. People are enjoying their new iPhones with no pressing issues. Just like their iPads.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    They did acknowledge the problem that only affected a few users early on by saying its an issue all phones inherently have. They recommended holding it differently or using a case if this issue affected you. Return it for full refund if not satisfied they said.

Hold differently? Use a case? The nerve. Not good enough.

Things erupt. Apple decides to hold a presser knowing it needed to actually do a presentation (as they always do) to explain such simple concepts. People in general are pretty stupid and Apple knows this...its why they're so successful.
    I think you skipped one of the "blame game" episodes. Didn't they blame it on a software glitch?

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    At the presser, they basically repeat themselves yet again saying its something all phone's have a problem with. To use a case. Or get a refund. But throw in free cases as a gesture.

And now everyone is happy. Life goes on.
    Except their problem is not a problem "all phone's have". You can hold my Pre and any of my Treo's any way you wish, and you will not short across the antenna. And adding a case to my Pre or my Treo would only increase any antenna problems, not decrease them (because the iPhone is having a totally different issue).

What they did was spin, pure and simple.
    Actually, you're still expressing an opinion. You (nor I) know what their sales results would have been had they not had the problem, or had they handled it differently.

It might have helped, might have hurt, might not have made a difference. Pick one, but realize it's an opinion, not a "fact".

Do you really think that the 25 - 34 yo target audience that is the largest market that buys cell phones looks to Consumer Reports for advice?

Consumer Reports jumped all over the iPhone 4 story to further their agenda. To make themselves relevant in a world where every tech blog, media, user forums, etc can review products. Thus, making Consumer Reports not that important anymore.
    This is funny, in a sad kind of way.

Want to make a guess as to how many times Apple quoted Consumers Report before this?

Of course CR is "not relevevant", but that's just in the minds of some people because CR dared criticize their idol.

Not only that, CR is so totally ignored by Apple's base, that Apple actually took the time to scrub their discussion forum of all comments about the CR article.

Apple made the comments gone, thus they never actually existed. Would you like another cup of kool-aid?
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/18/2010 at 09:34 PM.
    What is Apple's normal return policy on the iPhone, before this?
    Hparsons has arrived.
    The Consumer Reports Agenda, coming to a theater near you.

SoFly is funny. Have you checked out the stand up comedian thread?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Hparsons has arrived.
    Well, thanks for noticing. Do the questions bother you, or is it a silly man-crush thing?
    Actually, you're still expressing an opinion. You (nor I) know what their sales results would have been had they not had the problem, or had they handled it differently.

It might have helped, might have hurt, might not have made a difference. Pick one, but realize it's an opinion, not a "fact".
    I know that Rubinstein would sell his soul to get even a quarter of those sales in 3 weeks for the Palm Pre. That's a FACT, Jack. LOL!