Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    try this

There's no doubt a sweet spot on the iPhone 4, but this issue seems so sporadic that it's difficult to actually pinpoint any real issue. I have walked into the AT&T store several times and tried to duplicate the exact same issue the fellow demonstrated in this video, to which I failed every single time.

It's ignorant at this point to argue that there is no problem, however what is the real significance of this problem? It doesn't seem to be that large of an issue if 3 million people have bought an iPhone 4 and a very small percentage of that 3 million have neither complained or returned their device, not to mention that the iPhone 4 continues to sell like crazy despite the internet being cluttered with iPhone 4-bashing articles.
    I think it was 1 % that complained but its becasue it was the Iphone that it turned into what it is. If the PRE was as popular as the Iphone we would have had the same situation with the PRE reception issues when it came out ( it was a small % but still a problem). Sprint fixed that quickley with free airraves for some of use.
    I know three people who have Iphones and they have no issue, they dont say its not there but they dont use the "Death Grip". It might be there.

I dont have a Iphone ( Pre , Centro and EVO) and not on AT&T ( Sprint) But I am not fooling myself into thinking this means anything. Iphone is King . They will still sell millions and there followers will buy the next one. The phone could be exploding and they will still sell.
    maybe so few people returned the iphone because most people with iphones are so busy apping away to actually use it as a...phone

hmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    maybe so few people returned the iphone because most people with iphones are so busy apping away to actually use it as a...phone

hmmm
    Lol, potentially. Everyone that I know and regularly talk to is through txt and other means (generally through an app like Facebook, etc.).

I have 450 minutes and last month I talked a total of 39 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I think it was 1 % that complained but its becasue it was the Iphone that it turned into what it is. If the PRE was as popular as the Iphone we would have had the same situation with the PRE reception issues when it came out ( it was a small % but still a problem). Sprint fixed that quickley with free airraves for some of use.
    I know three people who have Iphones and they have no issue, they dont say its not there but they dont use the "Death Grip". It might be there.

I dont have a Iphone ( Pre , Centro and EVO) and not on AT&T ( Sprint) But I am not fooling myself into thinking this means anything. Iphone is King . They will still sell millions and there followers will buy the next one. The phone could be exploding and they will still sell.
    For sure, and a 1% defect rate is low for electronics. It just so happens 1% of iPhone 4 sales is 300,000 people.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There's no doubt a sweet spot on the iPhone 4, but this issue seems so sporadic that it's difficult to actually pinpoint any real issue. I have walked into the AT&T store several times and tried to duplicate the exact same issue the fellow demonstrated in this video, to which I failed every single time.

It's ignorant at this point to argue that there is no problem, however what is the real significance of this problem? It doesn't seem to be that large of an issue if 3 million people have bought an iPhone 4 and a very small percentage of that 3 million have neither complained or returned their device, not to mention that the iPhone 4 continues to sell like crazy despite the internet being cluttered with iPhone 4-bashing articles.
    while I was bored out of my skull..waiting for my wife to return an item at the mall, I crashed the apple store. When greeted by a lil turd... I told him I was there to do testing on the antenna flaw. He said so was hundreds of others;-)
    what I found interesting was a family of three walked up as I was trying out the iphone. nman, late 40's, was asking all of his family to try and dup the issue. I asked him if he noticed a drop.. He said 2 bars. I had the same experience. The iphone in store had a strong signal, and we were able to drop it Are bars. So out in the wild...much bigger problem.
    it seems to be a flaw on every iphone if we could get instore phones to duplicate.
    so it's not a small % of the phones affected, it's a flaw in the controversial body antenna. Can it be avoided? Yes. Is it an embarrasement for apple? Yes, especially after touting this new antenna as a major improvement and it being referred to as genius.
    jobs arrogance is why this is a much bigger issue than it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    For sure, and a 1% defect rate is low for electronics. It just so happens 1% of iPhone 4 sales is 300,000 people.
    I think you mean 30,000 people.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

thank God!
    So... the amazing "genius" design of iphone 4 body antenna, needs to be scotch taped for it to work properly?
    LOL!
    i think you completly miss the point. If this happened to an htc phone, palms pre at launch last year etc... people would not be that surprised. These types of flaws are common place with new products. that is not the reason for all of the attention.
    After listening to Jobs sell the design of this genius antenna personally... struggle to connect to wifi during presentation... its an embarasenment to APPLE, and a ding on their reputation. To witness them deny it, drag other companies into the issue to make their flaw less of one... is shameless.

now, go scotch tape your iphone 4... and dont worry... this will all be forgotten about soon. Iphone 4 is still the best smartphone... for now.
    while I was bored out of my skull..waiting for my wife to return an item at the mall, I crashed the apple store. When greeted by a lil turd... I told him I was there to do testing on the antenna flaw. He said so was hundreds of others;-)
    what I found interesting was a family of three walked up as I was trying out the iphone. nman, late 40's, was asking all of his family to try and dup the issue. I asked him if he noticed a drop.. He said 2 bars. I had the same experience. The iphone in store had a strong signal, and we were able to drop it Are bars. So out in the wild...much bigger problem.
    it seems to be a flaw on every iphone if we could get instore phones to duplicate.
    so it's not a small % of the phones affected, it's a flaw in the controversial body antenna. Can it be avoided? Yes. Is it an embarrasement for apple? Yes, especially after touting this new antenna as a major improvement and it being referred to as genius.
    jobs arrogance is why this is a much bigger issue than it should be.

When greeted by a lil turd
    So, what do you call the sales people at the Sprint store, or any retailer that STILL carries the Pre?

Is it an embarrasement for apple? Yes, especially after touting this new antenna as a major improvement and it being referred to as genius.
    How is it an embarrassment for Apple when they have sold over 3 million iPhones in 3 weeks? More than the Palm Pre has sold in the past year and they did that with only 5 countries. Imagine how many iPhones they are going to sell after they start selling them in an additional 17 countries starting on July 30th. Then 24 countries in August and 40 more in September.

The only embarrassment is the media, Consumer Reports, and the haters that want to talk about the iPhone just so they can get some attention at the iPhone's expense.

From what I have read on here the Pre had some reception issues when it first came out and Sprint gave out some Airraves fo the issue. But, yet I never heard of the issue. Gee, I wonder why the media and Consumer Reports never talked about that? Probably because no one would care.

I do find it quite hilarious that I just Googled "Pre reception issues" to verify if it was in the general media or not and the fourth entry is about the iPhone 4. LOL!! The Pre just can't get any love.
    thank God!
    So... the amazing "genius" design of iphone 4 body antenna, needs to be scotch taped for it to work properly?
    How is this any different than applying a screen protector to your phone, which millions of people regularly do? As a matter of fact, that's what was applied, not scotch tape.

LOL!
    i think you completly miss the point. If this happened to an htc phone, palms pre at launch last year etc... people would not be that surprised. These types of flaws are common place with new products. that is not the reason for all of the attention.
    Exactly, and that's why this has been blown completely out of proportion, because the iPhone is held to a much higher standard. The slightest flaw and the media is going to be all over because it makes them money. Even if it's not really an issue.

After listening to Jobs sell the design of this genius antenna personally... struggle to connect to wifi during presentation... its an embarasenment to APPLE, and a ding on their reputation. To witness them deny it, drag other companies into the issue to make their flaw less of one... is shameless.
    I don't think that's really relevant. The WiFi issue was merely a spectrum that was overloaded beyond belief you had 500+ devices competing for a small spectrum and of course, the more powerful devices are going to overpower the much weaker phone.

now, go scotch tape your iphone 4... and dont worry... this will all be forgotten about soon. Iphone 4 is still the best smartphone... for now.
    I don't own an iPhone 4, yet. But when I do, I don't foresee myself putting anything on it or using any sort of case. I used my sisters for a week and had no issues with it (as neither does she). That may change as I use it, but I'm not going into it with the notion of it having a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Was that before or after you had to reboot?
    Apple recommends power cycling iPhones 3-4 times a week.
    thank God!
    LOL!

its an embarasenment to APPLE, and a ding on their reputation
    How is it an embarrassment or ding on their reputation when they have sold an unbelievable 3 million iPhones in only 5 countries in 3 weeks?

How is it an embarrassment or ding on their reputation when Steve Jobs has already said that 0.55% (less than 1%) of all calls to Apple Care have been about reception issues with the iPhone 4?

How is it an embarrassment or ding on their reputation when only 1.7% have returned the iPhone 4 vs 6% that returned the iPhone 3GS with the initial launch for both products?

Keep spouting false information. You are doing an excellent job!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    How is it an embarrassment or ding on their reputation when they have sold an unbelievable 3 million iPhones in only 5 countries in 3 weeks?

How is it an embarrassment or ding on their reputation when Steve Jobs has already said that 0.55% (less than 1%) of all calls to Apple Care have been about reception issues with the iPhone 4?

How is it an embarrassment or ding on their reputation when only 1.7% have returned the iPhone 4 vs 6% that returned the iPhone 3GS with the initial launch for both products?

Keep spouting false information. You are doing an excellent job!!
    Coming from you... that is hilarious.
    I think it hurt their reputation. period
    I don't think so. It's nothing but fuel for the haters at the moment. It will soon blow over, just like the iPad did when it dropped and everyone was expecting something different; three months later they still can't keep them [iPad] on the shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I think you mean 30,000 people.

LOL my bad.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    How is this any different than applying a screen protector to your phone, which millions of people regularly do? As a matter of fact, that's what was applied, not scotch tape.
    Because putting scotch tape on the antenna is an attempt to overcome a design flaw. Putting a screen protector is not.

Exactly, and that's why this has been blown completely out of proportion, because the iPhone is held to a much higher standard. The slightest flaw and the media is going to be all over because it makes them money. Even if it's not really an issue.
    "Completely" is a bit of an overstatement (in my opinion). I think it was blown out of proportion, but it was definitely a story worth reporting.

Had Apple just acknowledged the problem up front, instead of blaming users and software, it would have been a non-story. Apple made it into a story.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFly View Post
    Because there are those out there that believe Apple never does anything wrong. There was even a user on here that bragged about how they did xyz right "as they always do."
    They thought it was hurting their reputation as well, thus the need for a press conference about it.
    I don't think so. It's nothing but fuel for the haters at the moment...
    All those haters - yeah, like Consumer Reports.