Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I always use to blame the connection, but now i did a test and realized that the Wi-Fi goes off on its own. Pretty much, i left the Wi-Fi app open and walked away from my Pre for about 20-25mins, came back and pushed the power button to turn the screen back on and the Wi-Fi app said Wi-Fi was off and right after, in a span of about 1 sec, it connected back again. I checked the setting in Wi-Fi and it was still toggled on "Keep Wi-Fi On". I switched my Pre about 4 months ago for this same exact issue and even afterward, i was still encountering the same issue. It seems like there's only a few people who have this problem. It really does bother me that my Wi-Fi just cant stay connected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pretty much, its not that the Pre loses connection. The Pre shuts the Wi-Fi app off thereby causing it to lose connection. Pretty weird stuff.
  2.    #2  
    Update : Pretty much, this is what i was told by Palm. 7:29 AM Sabino: The phone is not compatible with 802.11a or 802.11n routers unless the routers are backwards compatible with 802.11b/g.
  3.    #3  
    Palm gave me a list of capable routers...

Linksys wrt54g, linksys BEFw1154, Cradlepoint MBR1000, CTR500, CTR350, and PHS300 are compatible with Pre.
  4.    #4  
    Contacted Linksys and they told me to reset the router. I then went on the linksys page and upgraded my Firmware, then reset my router. I'll see if problems persist. I also changed from WEP to WPA - Personal.
    Last edited by Jason Black; 07/12/2010 at 08:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Interesting - I've noticed the same issue from time to time. But my router is 802.11G so it SHOULD be fully compatible with my Pre or vice versa. I've not done your test, but I have noticed that the Wifi icon at the top right of the screen disappears sometimes until I unlock the screen and then it reconnects, even though it is set to stay on while asleep.
    Have you tried changing the sleep setting to: "Turn Wifi OFF" while asleep, restarting the phone, and then resetting it to: "Keep Wifi ON" while asleep after it reboots?
    There was another issue I had which was the phone would not do an automatic daily backup to my Palm profile, even though it was set to do so. Someone on the forums suggested I switch the Auto-Backup button to OFF, restart the phone, and then turn Auto-Backup back on. That cured the problem. Maybe doing the same with the Wifi sleep setting would work for it? I'm going to try it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutz View Post
    Interesting - I've noticed the same issue from time to time. But my router is 802.11G so it SHOULD be fully compatible with my Pre or vice versa. I've not done your test, but I have noticed that the Wifi icon at the top right of the screen disappears sometimes until I unlock the screen and then it reconnects, even though it is set to stay on while asleep.
    Have you tried changing the sleep setting to: "Turn Wifi OFF" while asleep, restarting the phone, and then resetting it to: "Keep Wifi ON" while asleep after it reboots?
    There was another issue I had which was the phone would not do an automatic daily backup to my Palm profile, even though it was set to do so. Someone on the forums suggested I switch the Auto-Backup button to OFF, restart the phone, and then turn Auto-Backup back on. That cured the problem. Maybe doing the same with the Wifi sleep setting would work for it? I'm going to try it.
    Yes. I've tried resetting to sleep , restarting and the setting back to keep on. But whatever I did seems to have worked, atleast for now. I solely rely on wifi when I'm home because I don't get avdo connection at home. Btw,i have a befw11s4 linksys router
    Last edited by Jason Black; 07/12/2010 at 09:01 AM.
    It's a hit and miss issue here, some routers work, some don't.

It's related on how the wireless access point portion of the router handles low power devices. You may try updating firmware, but chances are it won't work reliably.

Unfortunately, this is not Palm's fault, is the manufacturers that don't adhere to standards. Bummer, I know, but that's the way things work
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post

It's related on how the wireless access point portion of the router handles low power devices. You may try updating firmware, but chances are it won't work reliably.

Unfortunately, this is not Palm's fault, is the manufacturers that don't adhere to standards. Bummer, I know, but that's the way things work
    Ohhhh!..I actually thought it wa Palm's fault. Thanks for clearing that up!
    I'm having the same problem. Could it have something to do with the router's/pre's handling/implementation of WMM? Perhaps the router's implementation of WMM (to help device save battery) does something that causes the Pre's wifi to disconnect?

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I've actually had a similar problem with a Nokia phone w/sip client, it drains the battery when attached to certain routers (which don't support power management). It also disconnects my Pre.

Cisco access points don't have this problem
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    I'm using the Netgear ProSafe SRXN3205 model, no issues at all. I never thought a router could create connection issues. When you enable WiFi, do you see a list of available networks to connect to?
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  12.    #12  

You're right. It still disconnects.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    I'm using the Netgear ProSafe SRXN3205 model, no issues at all. I never thought a router could create connection issues. When you enable WiFi, do you see a list of available networks to connect to?
    A 299.99 router...No thanks lol.
  14.    #14  
    The simple fix is to install the app "Nodoze" via Preware!
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    A small update here, I have an Acer Aspire netbook, one of the first ones, with Atheros wifi card. This is my main wifo access point - "router", equipped with a usb 3G modem. I use Ubuntu here.

Using the madwifi drivers, it runs "fine". It crashes from time to time and tends to lose sync with the clients. Using the Master Mode capabilities of the ath5k driver in the most recent kernels and the hostap daemon, I was able to create a VERY stable Access Point which even supports low power modes needed for the Pre to be kept connected

It's a router firmware issue. Palm supports the standard, some manufacturers don't. It sucks, but that's the way it is
    I have this issue to with my belkin N router...I always have issues with belkin, but the router is backwards compatible, in fact, i never had this problem until 1.4 came about
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I have this issue to with my belkin N router...I always have issues with belkin, but the router is backwards compatible, in fact, i never had this problem until 1.4 came about
    Download Nodoze via Preware. Connect WiFi and activate Nodoze and it will never disconnect again!

18.    #18  
    A small update here, I have an Acer Aspire netbook, one of the first ones, with Atheros wifi card. This is my main wifo access point - "router", equipped with a usb 3G modem. I use Ubuntu here.

Using the madwifi drivers, it runs "fine". It crashes from time to time and tends to lose sync with the clients. Using the Master Mode capabilities of the ath5k driver in the most recent kernels and the hostap daemon, I was able to create a VERY stable Access Point which even supports low power modes needed for the Pre to be kept connected

It's a router firmware issue. Palm supports the standard, some manufacturers don't. It sucks, but that's the way it is
    Sounds like a lot of stuff to do

Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I actually had a similar issue, but it wasn't my router, it was my pre. I put my pre next to my dad's, side by side. after about 5 minutes with the screen off, my wifi disconnected, while the other pre stayed connected. I went to a sprint store, and they gave me a refurbished pre, which solved the problem.

now, I didn't notice the problem untill 1.4, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. but my new pre is working fine, and since my dad's pre was staying connected, that pretty much rules out any issues with the router.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I actually had a similar issue, but it wasn't my router, it was my pre. I put my pre next to my dad's, side by side. after about 5 minutes with the screen off, my wifi disconnected, while the other pre stayed connected. I went to a sprint store, and they gave me a refurbished pre, which solved the problem.

now, I didn't notice the problem untill 1.4, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. but my new pre is working fine, and since my dad's pre was staying connected, that pretty much rules out any issues with the router.
    Yeah, thats what i thought too. Mine was fine until 1.4. I got a refurb and it still had the problem, but Nodoze solved it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast