Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Adam Marks recently posted on the main site a short tutorial for Save/Restore including these steps:

    Here is a good cheat-sheet for the process you need to follow both before and after you erase/swap your phone:

    1. Open Preware, scroll to the bottom and select "Saved Package List" and click "Update"
    2. Open Save/Restore, select "Save Application Data" and click "Save Selected"
    3. Connect your phone to a computer, connect as a USB drive, and make a copy of the "saverestore" directory to your computer. Also, make a copy of any data that you want to back up from the USB drive since that data is also not stored in your Palm backup
    4. After a doctor/phone swap, sign back into your Palm Profile, let all your App Catalog Apps reinstall, and then install Preware and Save/Restore back on to your phone
    5. Connect your phone to a computer, connect as a USB drive, and move your old copy of the "saverestore" directory back onto the phone, along with any other data you backed up in #3 above.
    6. Open Save/Restore, select "Restore Application data", select only Preware and click “Restore Selected”
    7. Open Preware, choose "Saved Package List" and click "Install All"
    8. For each app that you plan on restoring data to, open and close each app in order to initialize the cookies and databases for that app
    9. Open Save/Restore, choose "Restore Application data", click "Select All" or choose the apps you want to restore, and then click "Restore Selected"
    10. Immediately perform a Luna Restart

    At this point, all your apps, patches and data should be back on your phone.
    He suggests going to the Save/Restore thread for help; however, I browsed that thread and it seems very technical and for developers. So I wanted to ask some basic questions that other Windows 7 users might have as well. (Sorry if there's another thread that addresses all this--if so, please direct me to it.)

    I cannot use the Homebrew/QuickInstall/RepairUtility/Doctor etc. from my PC as my PC will not recognize my Pre (I'm assuming this is because of Windows 7--is this common?). So, I installed PreWare on the phone and install Homebrew patches and a few apps directly etc.

    Anyway, I've been having a terrible time trying to get help to get ready for the next OS updates, i.e., getting rid of whatever bad patches are required to be off the phone before the update. So, now that I've followed Adam's directions through #3, can I just factory reset my phone before an update and, after updated, follow steps 4-10?

    And, finally, how would I back up stuff the Save/Restore app doesn't include if I can't connect the Pre to my Windows 7 PC?

    Sorry ahead of time if those are stupid questions...

    Thanks!
  2. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Adam Marks recently posted on the main site a short tutorial for Save/Restore including these steps:



    He suggests going to the Save/Restore thread for help; however, I browsed that thread and it seems very technical and for developers. So I wanted to ask some basic questions that other Windows 7 users might have as well. (Sorry if there's another thread that addresses all this--if so, please direct me to it.)

    I cannot use the Homebrew/QuickInstall/RepairUtility/Doctor etc. from my PC as my PC will not recognize my Pre (I'm assuming this is because of Windows 7--is this common?). So, I installed PreWare on the phone and install Homebrew patches and a few apps directly etc.

    Anyway, I've been having a terrible time trying to get help to get ready for the next OS updates, i.e., getting rid of whatever bad patches are required to be off the phone before the update. So, now that I've followed Adam's directions through #3, can I just factory reset my phone before an update and, after updated, follow steps 4-10?

    And, finally, how would I back up stuff the Save/Restore app doesn't include if I can't connect the Pre to my Windows 7 PC?

    Sorry ahead of time if those are stupid questions...

    Thanks!
    I wonder if you're not having a hardware/cable issue or perhaps doing something wrong? I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64 bit), and have no problem having my computer recognize my Pre. Are you getting a prompt to enter Just Charge or USB Mode when you connect the phone to the computer? Try rebooting both the phone and the computer and see if that helps.
  3. #3  
    Windows 7 here... everything connects fine for me.

    I'm also curious how you insalled Preware if you can't connect to your computer. At some point you have to connect via USB to get Preware on your phone. Unless I'm missing something.
  4. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Windows 7 here... everything connects fine for me.

    I'm also curious how you insalled Preware if you can't connect to your computer. At some point you have to connect via USB to get Preware on your phone. Unless I'm missing something.
    For whatever it's worth, one can install Preware without a computer connection (instructions at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals), but I guess one would need a computer connection to get Terminal installed (unless I'm missing something), so I'm not sure how this info I'm providing would really help someone, but just thought I'd pass on the instructions just in case because you raised the point
  5.    #5  
    I'm pretty sure I installed Preware without the connection--to be honest, I don't remember exactly how it happened. Maybe I did connect once for a brief time. I've been trying to connect ever since with no luck.

    Yes, I used "just charge" and put it in developer mode etc.

    Anyway, good to hear people with Windows 7/64 bit are able to make it work! I was under the impression that it caused problems from reading other threads etc. I'll have to mess with it again and repost what happens, I guess.

    Anyone have answers to my other questions about Save/Restore and backing up?
  6. #6  
    No need to factory reset your phone (patches appear to remain anyway after doing so from my readings in the forum). Beyond removing Themes, and any patches listed HERE, you should be fine since updates don't touch the USB partition anymore. As far as backing up your saverestore folder I'm not sure how you're going to do that w/out having access to the USB partition via a PC. The folder will remain intact however when updating the OS.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    For whatever it's worth, one can install Preware without a computer connection (instructions at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals), but I guess one would need a computer connection to get Terminal installed (unless I'm missing something), so I'm not sure how this info I'm providing would really help someone, but just thought I'd pass on the instructions just in case because you raised the point
    Yes, I am aware of the instructions at the WebOS Internals website. However, unless you know of a way to get a linux command line on your Pre without connecting to a computer at some point then getting Preware on your Pre is a no go.

    Thanks for pointing people to the proper instructions though.
  8. ay
    ay is offline
    ay's Avatar
    Posts
    720 Posts
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    I'm pretty sure I installed Preware without the connection--to be honest, I don't remember exactly how it happened. Maybe I did connect once for a brief time. I've been trying to connect ever since with no luck.

    Yes, I used "just charge" and put it in developer mode etc.

    Anyway, good to hear people with Windows 7/64 bit are able to make it work! I was under the impression that it caused problems from reading other threads etc. I'll have to mess with it again and repost what happens, I guess.

    Anyone have answers to my other questions about Save/Restore and backing up?
    I think you just found your own problem if I'm not mistaken. You're trying to get access to the phone as a USB drive, but you're selecting Just Charge and putting the phone in Developer Mode instead of selecting USB? You don't need Developer Mode to access the phone as a USB drive, and you should be selecting USB, not Just Charge. Unless I'm missing something?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    As far as backing up your saverestore folder I'm not sure how you're going to do that w/out having access to the USB partition via a PC. The folder will remain intact however when updating the OS.
    There is one way possible. Install Internalz from Preware, go to the saverestore folder in media/internal and rename saverestore.zip and then you will be able to attach it to an email. After you have sent it make sure it is renamed saverestore on the phone.

    Edit: Looks like this doesn't work on the folder. Seems like you will have to commandline in and use the zip service from webos-internals.
    Last edited by pip smith; 07/14/2010 at 05:20 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    There is one way possible. Install Internalz from Preware, go to the saverestore folder in media/internal and rename saverestore.zip and then you will be able to attach it to an email. After you have sent it make sure it is renamed saverestore on the phone.
    Nice Pip! I love finding ways to do things all from my Pre.
  11. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #11  
    agreed! Now, if only Preware could be installed as an app from the Palm app catalog, (I don't think it's possible, though), then I wouldn't even need the damm computer.

    I think the "30day" challenge app is funny, ...until last week, when I had to finally replace my launch day Pre, (every other key on the 3rd row of letters stopped working.), I had done without a computer for over 6 months! I did everything on my Pre!

    ...but, I had to get one to back-up my old Pre and to reinstall Preware w/ WebOS-QI... so, I got a cheap Compaq for $300 running Win 7. It's nice and all, but, if I had been able to install Preware without it, I would have never picked it up! ;-)
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    There is one way possible. Install Internalz from Preware, go to the saverestore folder in media/internal and rename saverestore.zip and then you will be able to attach it to an email. After you have sent it make sure it is renamed saverestore on the phone.
    Nice, didn't know you could simply rename the folder adding .zip to the end and it would include all subfolders!! Great post.

    EDIT: Not working for me. Email errors out when attempting this.
    Last edited by NachoB; 07/12/2010 at 01:08 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    agreed! Now, if only Preware could be installed as an app from the Palm app catalog, (I don't think it's possible, though), then I wouldn't even need the damm computer.
    Yeah, I don't think Preware stands a chance at making it to the app catalog. However Terminal might since it could just be branded as a Linux utility. Then you could install Preware from Terminal.

Posting Permissions