1.    #1  
    Wahhhh Im gonna cry here, and I rarely do that.. so Im counting on you smart people to help me

Background to issue:
    Believe my gmail acct was somehow hacked, as i was getting 50-100 of those annoying mail delivery subsystem errors a day. I went into gmail on the computer and changed my password. All was fine on my computer, and my outlook. Next step was to update the password on Pre.

OK, now the crying part starts

Went to Pre, and of course right away it asks me to change my login credentials,. I go in, change the password,. there is no "save" or "done" perse, but I swipe back and it says Login Upated. Go back to mail, and nope, gives me the message about login rejected.

Made mistake #1 called Sprint support, they tell me to remove the account, and re add. OK, I attempt to do that, and its taking forever, so I call back, and NOW they tell me, if that email is tied to my Palm Profile (I think it is, but not sure, how can I find out), then I cant remove it. Their next thought was to wipe the phone, ya well NOT gonna do that either..

Back to gmail online, moved all my inbox messages to another folder, just to try to make it easier/ less data.

Well now, on Pre it says my email addy is there, but I see NO inbox, and cant seem to send.

Soooooooooooooo my whole gmail on my Pre is FUBAR for now..

Any ideas on what I can do to make it all right in my world again?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Last edited by dianehelen; 07/11/2010 at 08:41 AM.
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

one thing to remember is that deleting the email account doesn't remove every instance of the account on the phone. It may also have to be deleted from photos and contacts...
    also, try setting up a new gmail account (can anyone have too many free accounts?) so you can try logging in to that account by adding in to your phone. That may eliminate a few possibilities or even wipe a gmail cookie.
    From reading this: http://alljeff.com/how-to-set-up-pus...l-on-palm-pre/

Turn off wifi when setting up your account.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    one thing to remember is that deleting the email account doesn't remove every instance of the account on the phone. It may also have to be deleted from photos and contacts...
    what does my email addy have to do with photos and contacts???

What am I missing with that?

Tks
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    From reading this: http://alljeff.com/how-to-set-up-pus...l-on-palm-pre/

Turn off wifi when setting up your account.
    That link does not work

I Pre

Here's what it says:

It’s only day two with my new Palm Pre and to say I’m a tad excited would be a huge understatement.

So far one of my favorite features is how it manages email – particularly multiple email accounts. This is a HUGE feature for anyone like myself who has tried to manage multiple email accounts for different personal and work related endeavors. I set up my primary Exchange email yesterday and within 2 minutes, my calendar, email, and 600+ contacts were completely in sync with the Pre!

I was even more excited today when I sat down to add one of my Google Apps email accounts. It turns out that the Palm Pre supports the IMAP IDLE protocol, thereby enabling “push” email with your Google Apps email, or any Gmail account for that matter. After a quick review of Gmail Help I was off to the races.

Getting Started
    Click the email icon to open your email.
    Click the “Email” drop down arrow in the upper left hand corner.
    Select “Preferences & Accounts.”
    Scroll to the bottom and select “Add An Account.”
    Click the “Email” drop down arrow in the upper left hand corner again.
    Select “Manual Setup.”
    Palm Pre Settings for Push Google Apps Email & Gmail
    Mail Type: IMAP
    Email Address:

Google Apps users – Enter your full email address (i.e. username@yourdomain.com).
    Gmail users – Enter your full email address (i.e. username@gmail.com).
    Incoming Mail Server
    Server Name: imap.gmail.com
    Username:* Same as you entered for Email Address above.

Google Apps users – Enter your full email address (i.e. username@yourdomain.com).
    Gmail users – Enter your full email address (i.e. username@gmail.com).
    Password: Enter your password.
    Port #: 993
    Encryption: SSL

Outgoing Mail Server
    Server Name: smtp.gmail.com
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Port#: 465
    Encryption: SSL

Root Folder: leave blank

Updates
    July 7, 2009

A few readers have provided additional pointers that I wanted to update this post with in case you don’t see them in the comments.

As Eric Marschall points out, be sure you have activated IMAP in the Settings of your Gmail or Google Apps email account. Eric also mentions that you may need to unlock the captcha.
    Kyle and Doc both point out that you need to have Wi-Fi turned off when setting up your email accounts on the Pre. Especially if you are behind a corporate firewall.
    Thanks to all visitors for your comments and additional tips…keep em’ coming!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    what does my email addy have to do with photos and contacts???

What am I missing with that?

Tks
    I don't know why, I just know that is the case. If you have more than one account set up in your phone now, you can see it. Go to photo app, and open the pref/account menu. There will be multiple accounts, including facebook.

not sure why, just sure that is the case...
  9.    #9  
    hmm ok thanks NachoB (btw love your avatar, is that your son? very cute)

Im not behind any firewall, so not sure if that has any play, but I'll give it a try, cant hurt ya?

I Pre

hmm ok thanks NachoB (btw love your avatar, is that your son? very cute)
    Yeah, that was about 3 years ago I think. Thanks!

Im not behind any firewall, so not sure if that has any play, but I'll give it a try, cant hurt ya?
    I re setup my account last night, and was having problems, then when I disabled wifi it worked. Found it strange myself but it worked.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    ...but I'll give it a try, cant hurt ya?
    Any luck?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  12.    #12  
    Oyeeeeeeeeeeeee head banging..

But after 3 hours messing with something that really should have been so simple, I think Im back to ok.

I DID turn off wifi, not sure if that helped, maybe it did.

Still seemed like the spinning thing forever to delete the account.

Dismissed it, came back, it still there.

Restarted phone a few times, still shows account, but no inbox.

Tried again to change PW , still no luck.

Then not really sure What the F happened, but all of a sudden I was in the dialoge to set up a new account??? ***???

I entered my gmail info, and magic, well molasses magic, gmail is back???

Clueless as to what happened..

But thanks for the help/support and hand holding

I Pre

wifi puts you behind NAT and firewall built in to router. Forcing it through the 3G radio puts you directly on the carrier DNS.

no idea why gmail would care, but that is one difference to consider.
  14.    #14  
    Huh, ok well good to know.

IF I run into this again, I will make turning off wifi step ONE

Thanks again, for the help & support.

One of the MANY MANY reasons I LOVE this community

I Pre

Just to add a note, everyone should pay attention to the info that Nacho provided, because I was also having trouble with setting up gmail on my used Pre. It has worked fine on my Treo, but no luck on the Pre.

I did a similar search when I was having a problem and stumbled on a very similar post, turns out I had to unlock the Captcha to get it to work on my Pre. For some reason, even if the phone has been doctored, this can be an issue if you purchase a used Pre.

Just adding this for anyone else that may have gmail problems in the future.
    I would also add that in my experience it takes FOREVER to delete an account. It seems like nothing is happening, and I don't know what takes so long, but it has taken me half an hour or more to delete an email account.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  17.    #17  
    Where and how would one unlock the captcha? It never comes up when setting up the account on the pre. Wouldnt that only affect when actually setting up a brand new account in gmail?

and thanks jbg7474 for letting me know it wasnt just me, with the excess long account delete deal.

You would think that these are some of the stock answers the Sprint tech support team should know, but I guess you'd be wrong

I Pre

No! It did it to me with my personal Gmail account and I've had it for several years now. I had just been using it that very morning on my Treo, before my Pre arrived. So, it really makes no sense, at all, when it happens.

You actually can't unlock the Captcha from your phone, you have to actually be on a computer to use it and logged into your Gmail account, then it's under the account page.

Can't post links, yet, so I'll do a botch job of it, LOL, but here's one article on it:

daggle .com/getting-gmail-to-resume-pop-access-with-captcha-unlock-134

Thing is, I wasn't even setting mine up for POP, I have it on IMAP and it still did it.

There are some known Gmail issues with POP access, such as receiving multiple copies of the same messages or having new emails disappear when you click them on a mobile device to read them, so I quit using the POP access a few months ago.