1.    #1  
    Hi,

I've recently dropped my pre down four flights of steps. Despite bouncing off all the railings it still works! The only damage is a slight dent on the side and a missing power button which is the biggest problem. Does anyone know where I could get a replacement button from? (Or any alternative ideas)

Cheers,

Alan
    I was reading in here that the technicians at some Sprint stores have removed the buttons off of returned Pres to remedy this problem, try making a few calls to local Sprint stores.
  3.    #3  
    Sadly I'm in the UK and the O2 stores which sell the Pre here from my experience are pretty useless.
    I heard that some folks were able to get replacements from palm? I would get online and chat with them and ask....
  5.    #5  
    No joy from Palm - been quoted 130 for a repair (one cost any repair apparently) which is far too much just for a power button. Has anyone made their own power button?
    I dont know of any replacements but you could throw some duct tape over it until you find one... and Im pretty sure I saw an app in preware that does the functions of the pwr button, just have to slide open to turn the screen on... just another solution until you can find a replacement.

"Winning is not a sometimes thing; it's an all the time thing. You don't win once in a while; you don't do things right once in a while; you do them right all the time. Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. ~Vince Lombardi
    Maybe use some jewelry clay (i.e. FIMO - not sure if you have that in the UK) to create a new button? Or that plastic stuff you melt? (Form the button first, then stick it onto the phone, of course!)
    take a piece of paper, put a good sized glob of epoxy on it and let it dry. then after its dry, dremel it down and sand it. you could even paint it to match. just make sure you give it a nub to touch the contact.
    Palm prē-ist.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    take a piece of paper, put a good sized glob of epoxy on it and let it dry. then after its dry, dremel it down and sand it. you could even paint it to match. just make sure you give it a nub to touch the contact.
    Nice idea but I need to know what shape the button was - hard to guess looking at the hole it's left
    my power button died when i didsmothing simlar on a london road - got used to not using it now. There's some dead pres on ebay - best bet would be to buy one there & do a switch - you could even sell on the spares for cash....
    im in the same boat. Was hoping some dev could write a patch that turns the screen on using the volume buttons. I've tried dl'ing the webos doctor files my self and extracting them to see if i could do it myself but im getting a bit lost.