View Poll Results: How many would you buy if unlocked & local?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • none

7 23.33%

15 50.00%

6 20.00%

0 0%

1 3.33%
  • 5 or more

1 3.33%
  1.    #1  
    HP & Palm, if you're out there, please sell the next GSM webos phones unlocked worldwide regardless of carrier. Most GSM users are used to buying their phones this way. I know you would get more sales this way than the current "supported carrier" model.

The poll -- assuming the next gsm webos phone fits your preferences. How many would you buy if it was available in your home country vice the current model?

In my case, I had to take a train while on a family holiday from Holland to Germany to get an unlocked one. I only bought one, because of concerns over unsupported repairs/exchanges in my home country. Now if I could buy locally, I would buy 5 as my whole family is jealous of my phone.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    It is my opinion (not based on any special insider knowledge) that HP will maintain good relationships with ALL worldwide based carriers by making sightly different versions of thier phones that will work with any/all of them, and NOT go the "carier exclusive" route with any specific one.

The only real successes to date for that business model are the iPhone and the Droid. The iPhone was a market-changing device, and Apple haad the financial resources to take advantage of that one-time situation and market thier product themselves, which they were successful at doing. The Droid was a Verizon-ordered phone for themselves - and THEY marketted it themselves, quite successfully, but, no where near as well as the iPhone.

HP will, IMO, see that these models will not apply to the next WebOS devices, as they may be special because of the WebOS experience, and exceptionally well designed and great performers, but, those are NOT enough to become another "iPhone" or Droid success - this market is now established, with all possible basic formfactors available for the choosing, so, these devices just need to be on par or exceed the quality of the existing competing models, and be affordable and available to EVERYONE who wants one.

That's how to make money in this still young and very large smartphone market.

And that's good for consumers, too!!!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

3.    #3  
    I hope you're right LCGuy.

I know they wouldn't sell as many printers, laptops or desktops if they went with an exclusive Internet provider deal -- LOL
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    I don't understand the 5 votes for 'none'. I mean, the only reason one would not buy a new Palm phone that "fits your preferences", is if you don't care for the Palm Pre/Pix to begin with. In which case I am wondering why these people would be hanging out in this forum anyhow. *CONFUSED*
    ....what would I do with 5 unlocked GSM phones? I can only use one at a time.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  6.    #6  
    I'd buy 5 for my family. I already buy them phones -- prepaid sims for the kids. Buying the phones right away saves me months of service fees. Here we have free incoming calls.

Perhaps those voting none want subsidized phones.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I'm cautiously optimistic that when Palm (a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard pty ltd) brings out its next handset, it will be truly international.

HP has made a few comments since the merger about how they're an 'international' company and that 60%(!!) of their profits come from outside the US.

And I'd buy one. But I'd work actively to convince everyone I know to get one too.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I don't need an unlocked phone. You asked, I voted.

WyreNut
    Pre2/3/TouchPad, and TouchDroid user.
    Quote Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
    I don't need an unlocked phone. You asked, I voted.
    Your response implies that you need a 'locked' one, what advantage does the locked phone give you over the unlocked one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    ...what advantage does the locked phone give you over the unlocked one?
    A carrier subsidy.
    I laugh at the guy whingeing about having to drive a hundred or so Km's. I had to ship mine from fracking Spain!!! I'd only ever need one at a time, but I've been evangelizing the device I have, and have really impressed the locals with the elegance of webOS. I am waiting for them to officially open Taiwan (and china and Thailand and India and Indonesia) and the rest of the world. There is so much US narcissism about Sprint or Verizon. Yes the US is a big market, but Europe is just as big, and Asia (WITHOUT china or India) is 1.8x as big. And they need to do what Nokia does here which is make a keyboard that can use the localized text input method. Taiwan is the home of HTC (and foxconn too). Palm still has brand awareness here, but it will still have to be a device that can outshine or at least equal it's competitors (and we have them all except Palm!!!!) while supporting Chinese.

But they will probably follow the industry model of selling to carriers for the bulk of their sales. It makes it easy for them with 1 point of contact and carriers like to control their networks, but I do hope they make it easier to buy full price unlocked GSM's though. HP definitely many sales channels from small dealers to large chains.

My big thing now is I hope they are brewing up some good stuff. Engadget et al always have some little scrap of apple or android news every day, but not a peep about webOS since the 1/2 price (ONLY in fracking America) sale. And a worldwide app catalog with Paypal. They gotta get some heat going!
    M100=> 180 => 270 => 600 => 650 => 680 => 680 => 680 => Pre(GSM Pre minus)=>Galaxy S2 32GB