1.    #1  
    Will the Palm Pre Plus work over wifi without a data plan? How about the apps, such as Facebook and Twitter? I am not planning to get a data plan, only a voice and text plan with wifi. I'm switching over from a Blackberry, which I had headaches with apps not working over wifi. I'm planning to buy an unlocked one from a friend and bringing it over to Hong Kong. I have read that there is no European/Asian band version yet, so 3G will not work here. When will the European version one available? Will it be unlocked? I am hoping to get this device before summer ends.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldudie3 View Post
    Will the Palm Pre Plus work over wifi without a data plan? How about the apps, such as Facebook and Twitter? I am not planning to get a data plan, only a voice and text plan with wifi. I'm switching over from a Blackberry, which I had headaches with apps not working over wifi. I'm planning to buy an unlocked one from a friend and bringing it over to Hong Kong. I have read that there is no European/Asian band version yet, so 3G will not work here. When will the European version one available? Will it be unlocked? I am hoping to get this device before summer ends.

Thanks
    Both Verizon as well as AT&T require SOME sort of data plan if you get the Palm Pre Plus.
  3.    #3  
    I won't be using the Palm Pre plus in the US. I heard problems of creating a palm profile over wifi and no bypass available...?
    Here is some information on bypassing carrier activation:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2111882
  5.    #5  
    I think I should use the second function, since I do want to make calls and send texts with it.
    But I have read the first post and I have no idea what to do when I get the phone and I don't even know what a doctor is! Can anyone explain in simple english?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Here is some information on bypassing carrier activation:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2111882
    If you do this, won't it be unable to make voice calls? My understanding is that you would need to have a data plan in order to have a voice plan on any modern smartphone for the major US carriers.

Is this being purchased from Verizon/AT&T/Sprint?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I think I should use the second function, since I do want to make calls and send texts with it.
    But I have read the first post and I have no idea what to do when I get the phone and I don't even know what a doctor is! Can anyone explain in simple english?
    The doctor is an official palm solution for when there is problems with software. Here it is: Palm Support : Resetting your phone with Palm webOS Doctor
    But I prefer getting from Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and then running it from the .jar file.
    There also threads on here with more info about the doctor, I'm not sure how it affects the carrier firmware though.
  8.    #8  
    I'm talking about the GSM version here. I hope to be able to surf the web and facebook on wifi and voice/text over the mobile network
    You probably want a German unlocked one or UK, Spanish, French one and buy an unlock code. see here:

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...my-pre-22.html

I'm using one mainly with wifi, I do get 3g here in Europe. I used a prepaid card with data 4 Euro for 24hrs data to setup the first use, etc. You just need to activate it in the country it's made for to get access to paid apps.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Will the Palm Pre Plus work over wifi without a data plan?
    All functions of the phone including softwares work just fine with only WiFi and no data. Ofcourse there is the issue of first time activation (creating a Palm profile). So, as long as you can borrow somebody's SIM that has a data plan to use for activation (creating a Palm profile), you should have no problems using the phone with just WiFi.

I'm planning to buy an unlocked one from a friend and bringing it over to Hong Kong. I have read that there is no European/Asian band version yet, so 3G will not work here. When will the European version one available? Will it be unlocked? I am hoping to get this device before summer ends.

Thanks
    You have not mentioned where you intend to get the 'unlocked' phone from? If you are getting the German unlocked version, then 3G will work just fine in Hong Kong. It is the US GSM phone sold by AT&T that does not have the European/Asian 3G bands. Edge/GPRS data will work fine on the AT&T phone.
  11.    #11  
    @Sanjay Sorry for all the confusion, I want the Pre Plus from AT&T in the US. I understand that 3G will not work here because it uses different bands, but GPRS/EDGE will work fine. One more question, I read this thread (can't post links: forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre/209819-o2-pre-international-networks.html) and in the Hong Kong part some of the carriers don't support "activation", but voice and data work. Can someone explain what activation is? Is it the creation of the Palm Profile?
    Thanks all!