1.    #1  
    I have doctored my phone before, but was wondering if I doctor my phone, would I lose an app that has been removed from the app store (free music ringtones) or would it come up with my palm profile and load back up?
    Quote Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
    I have doctored my phone before, but was wondering if I doctor my phone, would I lose an app that has been removed from the app store (free music ringtones) or would it come up with my palm profile and load back up?
    My guess is that it will be gone. Had this happen with the program Block Drop that was pulled from the app catalog.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Yep, you will lose it. Happened to me too. When you log into your Palm Profile it will download the apps from the App Store that you had installed and/or purchased. Your profile does not store the actual apps, rather just a list.
    You might get lucky, and it might not have been deleted from your backup. In my situation, twice I had to doctor my phone and both times there where apps that where not deleted from my backup that I had deleted from my phone. I have the automatic backup on. The apps where restored to my phone by the backup utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by kid james View Post
    You might get lucky, and it might not have been deleted from your backup. In my situation, twice I had to doctor my phone and both times there where apps that where not deleted from my backup that I had deleted from my phone. I have the automatic backup on. The apps where restored to my phone by the backup utility.
    I don't think this will help as the program is no longer available in the catalog.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    I don't think this will help as the program is no longer available in the catalog.
    I realize that, but it happened to me with this app 1 time after the app was removed from the app catalog.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I just doctored last week and my restore did not bring back free music ringtones.
    Looks like you will lose the app. I guess I just got lucky. I doctored my phone July 3rd.
    Last edited by kid james; 07/09/2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Just because an app isn't available in the app catalog doesn't mean you can't get it. Although in this case it does.

There are many apps though not in the catalog that can download by going to the Palm USA website. Here is one example... Mobile Declaration is a copy of the Declaration of Independence for your Pre. It was in the catalog and then removed. However it is still available on the Palm website and you can have an SMS message sent to your phone. It will have a link which launches the app catalog and allows you to download, review and share just like any other app.

Now, to clear one thing up, just because it is still in your profile as installed doesn't mean it will download with your profile. The app must still be available for that to happen. This is one of the causes of the "ghost app update" that happens when you go into the Update App and it says you have application updates, but when you go to the app catalog and your installed apps, there are no updates.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the info guys!
    I don't know how but I am pretty sure there's a way to pull an app while in usb mode to save it.
    Read the first post now, you can get it back (even has a few minor enhancements):

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...al-thread.html

The thanks button is below
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Read the first post now, you can get it back (even has a few minor enhancements):

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...al-thread.html

The thanks button is below
    Just so people know that there is no official support for it.... unless James has passed it off to someone else to distribute, continue development and support.
    Hi
    I'm not sure if this is relavent, since I do not know if executing a PreBackup restore process "undoes" (sp?) what one would be trying to achive by Dr'ing in the first place.

I have not "tested" a full PreBackup Restore yet (which goes totally against my "best practice" schpiel)... really don't want to potentially start over (doh!).

My primary use-case for my pre is business contacts, mail, etc, and that is synch'ed (easier than "Synergy'ed) with Exchange 2007, so that info is not at risk.

OK, pointless ramble done...

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Just so people know that there is no official support for it.... unless James has passed it off to someone else to distribute, continue development and support.
    I will offer homebrewers some support. It should be minimal and well within my capabilities. Just know that I may not offer 'priority' support for it.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook