1.    #1  
    OK, I'm getting closer to getting an unlocked Pre, and MAY switch to AT&T anyways (not sure how long T-Mobile will last to be honest).

So, when do you think AT&T will add their mobi-TV equivalent?

Also, I'm just reviewing the ATT apps, and will be searching out my most favorite old Palm Treo650 apps such as:
    1. Tidetool
    2. Worldmate (but will settle for an equivalent and let the current subscription expire)
    3. pTunes - or really good music player app.
    4. TCPMP - plays multiple different video formats.
    5. Tealscript (scripting using the old cursor - kinda got used to using this rather than typing everything)
    6. Web - how is web browsing on the Pre? Really...
    7. email - what is native email app on ATT Pre?
    8. Uninstall
    9. SD card export - direct file transfer over USB like an i-pod.
    10. AudioGateway - listening to music using bluetooth headphone and able to answer phone while pausing music

Also, any latest news on 3G vs. 4G upgrades (new 4G chip on new Pre models?). Is AT&T TRULY 3G throughout the country?

How is AT&T service overseas? Can I swap in a Euro-SIM from O2, etc. while on extended stays in Europe?

What is the best Palm emulator, and how good do various Palm apps REALLY run on WebOS?

What's the latest unlock trick for T-Mobile on unlocked GSM Pre's?

Any other considerations? (searches on this forum take me all over the place, but I'd rather have everything in one place).

Thanks!

Greg
    "Also, any latest news on 3G vs. 4G upgrades (new 4G chip on new Pre models?). Is AT&T TRULY 3G throughout the country?"

Not even close! Verizon's 3G coverage is terrific and extends pretty well to wherever they have service...with AT&T, you better check the map. Their 3G coverage is limitted to more densly populated areas. Their claims to cover 97% of American's is limitted to voice coverage not data and certainly not 3G data.

Here is an interesting read...AT&T versus Verizon Wireless – A Breakdown: An Explanation of the Companies' Latest Ad Competition

If I were going to spend the money on the monthly fees at AT&T, I would look seriously at Verizon because it definatly has better 3G coverage where I live, work and travel and the free mobile hotspot is very attractive to me. Right now, I'm with Sprint because they (like T-Mobile) have really good data plan rates.
    Im using a self unlocked AT&T pre Plus on T-Mobile.

I purchased the unlock code on eBay for $20. Simple to do, and clean sailing after that, except for 3G, of course.. different radio bands ..

But, having said that, its well over a month now, and Im ecstatic. EVDO general access to the internet isn't the best, but, Im usually on WiFi here at home, at the office, or when travelling, to be honest, and nothing can beat that performance.

I should tell you that I came from a Treo 650 on T-Mobile, with TealOS's WebOS mock-up interface, which is why the switch-over to the Pre+ was so natural for me.

As for the "survival" of T-Mobile.. well, all I can say is that Ive been with them for many years.. since hey were originally OmniPoint (remember that parrot mascot from the early 90's?). The name may change, but, thier service will, as they have through two consecutive ownership changes after that, carry on, one way or another, and, yes, indeed, thier pricing is absolutely the most reasonable of all of the major carriers with true "national' coverage. The only pricing I have seen better is from Metro-PCS - a CDMA provider that is focused here in the northeast, boasting a $40/month, inlcuding taxes and surcharges, for unlimited voice, text and internet - but, thier "national" coverage is almost non-existant - not good for a guy who does travel on a semi-regular basis.

With my family plan at T-Mobile, I have two lines with unlimited (truly, no data limits) "everything" for $60/month, and I can add lines with unlimited text and voice for $30/month. Plus surchages.. ugh!

I stick with T-Mobile because I do travel nationally, on occassion, and have found that thier national coverage has worked extremely well for me and my travelling pattern(s), and thier coverage here in the NE is on par, if not better than the "other two". And the fact that thier plans are much more reasonable than those "other" two, who keep increasing thier marketting overhead by callling eachother names and trying to "one up" one another!

Last edited by LCGuy; 07/10/2010 at 09:09 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    "Also, any latest news on 3G vs. 4G upgrades (new 4G chip on new Pre models?). Is AT&T TRULY 3G throughout the country?"

Not even close! Verizon's 3G coverage is terrific and extends pretty well to wherever they have service...with AT&T, you better check the map. Their 3G coverage is limitted to more densly populated areas. Their claims to cover 97% of American's is limitted to voice coverage not data and certainly not 3G data.

Here is an interesting read...AT&T versus Verizon Wireless – A Breakdown: An Explanation of the Companies' Latest Ad Competition

If I were going to spend the money on the monthly fees at AT&T, I would look seriously at Verizon because it definatly has better 3G coverage where I live, work and travel and the free mobile hotspot is very attractive to me. Right now, I'm with Sprint because they (like T-Mobile) have really good data plan rates.
    I ultimately need unlocked GSM so that I can swap SIM cards when I'm working in Europe.

Thanks,

Greg