View Poll Results: How is your battery consumption when using an overclock kernel?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good: It's been better since overclocking!

16 26.23%
  • Same: Haven't seen any difference!

32 52.46%
  • Bad: I've been seeing significant draining!

11 18.03%
  • I don't overclock and my battery life suck!

2 3.28%
  1.    #1  
    Hi, webos users/mobile accomplisher.

I'm doing a survey on the effect of battery life, when using a overclock kernel.

I believe this survey would give us a better knowledge of the percentage of users, that either have a better,normal,or bad battery consumption.

Please let your voice be heard in this pole.

Thank You!
    Most of the time I use 500/800 Screen State and battery life is the same with or with out it.

When I use 250/800 On Demand I notice better battery life maybe 2 to 4 hours more then stock but i don't use that as per it causes the phone to lock up every so often at night the screen state 500/800 does not.
    500/800 Screenstate; noticeably worse, but no drama.

EDIT: You're missing a less dramatic 5th option, as in "just a bit worse".
    Last edited by tomi666; 07/09/2010 at 06:22 AM.
    250/720 Screen State, still 70% after 9 hours in office.
    Hey rush, thanks for bringing this up.
    Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have done some prelim battery testing with stock/uber/F105. I posted my results in the F105 thread but am wondering if you mind me posting them here aswel to get some more attention for them and hopfully get others to test.
    Let me know
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    500/800 Screenstate; a little worse, but not horrible
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Hey rush, thanks for bringing this up.
    Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have done some prelim battery testing with stock/uber/F105. I posted my results in the F105 thread but am wondering if you mind me posting them here aswel to get some more attention for them and hopfully get others to test.
    Let me know
    Sure... I don't mind. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Sure... I don't mind. :-)
    Here is my prelim tests and their results:

Device details: o2 gsm pre, webOS 1.4.1. Amzen 1400mah battery

Three test states -
    1)Palm Stock 1.4.1
    2)Uberkernel 1.4.1-58 Govnah set Screenstate 500/800
    3)Thunderchief 1.4.1-69 Govnah set Screenstate 500/1005

Before each test I charged to 100% and rebooted my pre(orange+sym+r). All background processes were kept constant throughout all the tests. I used Battery Monitor v1.0.7 to calculate drain per hour. I used powernap to alert me to when the desired time was up (while not ideal, it was all I had to keep track of the first few test times so thought I would keep it this way).

Test A(control test):Idle for 8 hours with aeroplane mode on, wifi off. Battery Monitor set to poll every 30 minutes.
    Drain per hour:
    1) 0.24%
    2) 0.31%
    3) 0.12%

Test B. Idle for 4 hours data on, wifi off. BM poll set to 10mins. Room A, same spot (+/- 10cm) Signal was 4/5 bars 2g
    Drain per hour:
    1) 1.73%
    2) 1.49%
    3) 1.77%

Test C. 30minutes playing Asphault 5, home wifi on with full connection, data off, voice on full bars. BM poll set to 1min
    Drain per hour
    1) 29.96%
    2) 31.74%
    3) 33.76%

Again these are only prelim results and I hope to verify the drain per hours by retesting.
    I also want to do some more 'real life' testing to measure the effect that screenstate has on battery.

Any comments so far?
    Kernel users only? I'm pretty sure the stock pre uses a kernel....just sayin
  10.    #10  
    I know... But you know what I'm talking about. Your vote should be number 4.

I need votes and kernel being used.

cheers!
    This was a good thread idea.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    pip, when you did your test did you use the compcache option?
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    pip, when you did your test did you use the compcache option?
    I'm pretty sure I had compcache disabled for all the tests. I will definitely check this for the retests though.
    Do you believe there to be a link between battery drain and use of compcahce?
    Not a bad idea, but three options aren't going to tell you much. There are a lot of other options between much better, the same, and much worse. Just saying.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's been the same for me - with my usage the battery lasted all day and i re-charge at night, and that hasn't changed since implementing the kernel.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Not a bad idea, but three options aren't going to tell you much. There are a lot of other options between much better, the same, and much worse. Just saying.
    Do let me know what other options I'm missing.

I'd appreciate it!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    i use 500/800 and with moderate use during and bluetooth on sometimes it does seem to drain faster but if im at home on my wifi i could go all day and be around 50% at 9pm.
    Man, what would really be useful is a battery test application that could be run to perform a set of tests over, say, an hour, that would pop out a reliable number. That would give us some objective information.

Subjectively, I can say that I saw significantly poorer battery life running with 500/800 screenstate, and I also saw somewhat poorer battery life running with the Palm default profile on UK as compared to the stock kernel. Again, this is subjective "feel" sort of data, and it has to do with my particular device, which may or may not match the performance of other devices. So I'm not bagging on the great work that's been done on the other kernels.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    i honestly have a fixed 800 meaning 800/800 its been the same really from 9am to 4pm or 5pm battery is dead replace it with my spare and im good to go far the rest of the day till i get home and charge both. i tried a test my self im a heavy user. 5email recv every hr instant mesg with no wifi, at work,,,,,and that was at stock,,,,, switch it up and i say maybe 30min to 45min different from 800/800,,,, not a big deal i have 2 batteries
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Pip, i am using compcache and i think it might be the reason why the battery drains quicker...haven't tested it myslef but would like to see your results. Appreciate your efforts
    Sprint Palm Pre-