1.    #1  
    Can anyone advise me what a kernel is? I gather it is some sort of software to overclock the CPU but is that all it does?

I've only just heard of the term in relation to the Palm Pre and I'm curious. I already use various other patches and mods via homebre/preware, now I want to see what this Kernel thing is about.

Simply put..... 1) What does a kernel do? 2) Where/how do i install?

thanks in advance
    1) The kernel is the heart of any operating system. It's the bit that manages everything else that goes on.

2) read all the threads about it on PreCentral - carefully, several times.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    There are probably dozens of threads touching on Govnah and kernals, but I would suggest that you start your reading here: Application:Govnah - WebOS Internals

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys. I figure that I could mess my phone up so I will read every word before attempting.

Other than overclocking the CPU what are the advantages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasabi View Post
    Thanks guys. I figure that I could mess my phone up so I will read every word before attempting.

Some claims:
    1) Long battery use
    2) Cooler running
    3) Less "Too many cards"

etc etc,

If you read the other threads all will become clear
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway

Not meaning to nit-pick, just making sure you understand the terminology.

You already have a kernal. What you're talking about is a replacement kernal to give you the ability to overclock.

Replacement kernals are pretty common in the Linux world.
    Can anyone advise me what a kernel is? I gather it is some sort of software to overclock the CPU but is that all it does?

I've only just heard of the term in relation to the Palm Pre and I'm curious. I already use various other patches and mods via homebre/preware, now I want to see what this Kernel thing is about.

Simply put..... 1) What does a kernel do? 2) Where/how do i install?

thanks in advance
    Wikipedia has a good (but kind of long winded) description of what a kernel actually is/does:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)

Installing custom kernels on the Pre allows for some fine tuning of CPU and memory settings that is not accessible in the stock kernel.