Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Am I saving battery by leaving WiFi on at all times? Say I come home and my Pre connects to Wifi and then I leave and keep Wifi on, is it going to be searching for a wifi connection and wasting battery?
    You will probably save some unless you are going to a place where you'll get a signal soon after leaving home.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    If you are going to be away from any Wifi connection for an extended period of time, I would suggest turning it off. Your phone is constantly looking for a Wifi connection. If a connection is imminent, go ahead and leave it on. The battery drain between connections would be small, and you don't have to worry about remembering to turn it back on.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
    I normally just leave mine on. At first I kept turning it on and off but that got old real quick. If there is a difference I cannot tell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    I normally just leave mine on. At first I kept turning it on and off but that got old real quick. If there is a difference I cannot tell it.
    I could not agree more. In fact, I found that it was wasting battery to keep turning it off and then on. Why? Because I would always forget to turn it back on, thus using 3G data which saps your battery.

I leave mine on all the time (of course, I leave BlueTooth and GPS on all the time too).
    or here is an idea...turn your ev connection off as well as wifi. Only turn them on when you need to use data, saves you alot of battery. That's what I do.
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Hmm, good idea. I just starting using the f105 kernel so I'm going to test out battery life today. I have it at 250mhz with LCD off/800mhz on. Wish me luck.
    I use Quick System Tasks to turn wifi/3g on and off until I need them. I don't push my mail; I still use my laptop primarily for that.

However, I leave GPS on, because it takes so long to reestablish a connection when needed, and it doesn't draw that much battery.

IM doesn't need 3g, but Twitter and any web app do. Sending pics requires 3g. Texting doesn't. Phone calls (obviously) do not.

I went two days last week on one charge - just basic usage. I am also running Uberkernal at 250/800.
    what i notice is when leaving my wifi on the phone goes in and out, back and fourth between evdo and wifi, that makes my phone hot, so when i leave the house i turn my off. also what i notice is the phone acts weird, when going back and fourth and slugish turning it off helps that problem
    For the most part yes, but as posted in here, some brands of wireless routers do not play nice with the Pre. Last month I visited my sister and the first night while leaving my Pre's wifi set on, I was awoken to a low battery warning at 4am, so for the rest of my stay I kept the wifi turned off to conserve battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    For the most part yes, but as posted in here, some brands of wireless routers do not play nice with the Pre. Last month I visited my sister and the first night while leaving my Pre's wifi set on, I was awoken to a low battery warning at 4am, so for the rest of my stay I kept the wifi turned off to conserve battery life.
    That is an interesting thought! Never considered that before. Is there a list established yet that lists the ones that play better with the Pre (or worse)? A list such as that would be very useful for Pre users so they did not waste money on a router that does not work that well. I use an Apple Express and it seems to play well with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    the attachment is a rough test of f104 250/800mhz
    Attached Images Attached Images
    got a linksys at home. it works perfect with my Pre+. got a netgear at work. it'll chew up the phone in 4 hrs flat (without using it - only on standby - not one single call! - phone runs hot during this time).
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    yup i got a linksys at home as well and it does great with my Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    i usually keep mine on, so far its never drained my battery like crazy and ive been out of the house for a long time, but then again, i just got this thing a week ago, and just learned how to properly keep my battery going pretty good! so far, have not seen a huge drop in battery when im out of the house for a long time though when its still on.