Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Just you day dreaming again!
    ???
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Right before the Pre came out most of the Sprint marketing was accompanied with "Sprint - Home of the 4G Network" or something similar. Even though we all knew the Pre wasn't 4G and there were only two 4G networks running on Sprint at the time (I think it was Atlanta and L.A., might of been Chicago) it was confusing to the average person. Especially the TV ads by sprint and the mailer I got with the huge 4G logo behind a palm pre.

but why are we talking about this now again?
    Never got that impression.

Some of the early commercials Sprint put out said they were going to have America's first 4G network. Maybe that also lead some people to thinking the Pre had 4G.
    I remember regular ads showing the Pre with the 4G network card, promoting the first 4G network.

It definitely was intended to make people think it was 4G.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    One source of the rumor was one of Sprints 4g ads had both Palm Pre and 4g in the same commercial. ("Palm Pre exclusively on Sprint, now with the first 4g network" kinda thing) I believe some of the old threads here debated wither or not the Pre had a 4g radio.

Also for those of us who were not up to speed on Smart-phones before the Pre, there was no clear indication that it was only 3g, just that it had 3g.
    Exactly. I distinctly remember the commercials and thinking it was really clever spin on words or the Pre would support 4G, and even remember some talk about it being able to support it with SW.
    What, are you guys saying my Pre DOESN'T have 4G?!?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I remember the ads, and I thought it would be too. Also the Pre's Sprint webpage indicated that it would be 4G, or it mislead.
  8. Evansgw
    it depends on how you hold the phone

Oh wait that is another phone that put 4 in it's title to make people think it is a 4G phone... And then has such an innovative design it doesn't do what it is supposed to do... Call people.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    What, are you guys saying my Pre DOESN'T have 4G?!?
    Umm.. Yeah... Pretty much.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i ask myself same question?
    I hope hpalm don't make a 4g phone, at least not now. Why would someone want 4g pay extra $10 and not be able to get 4g for another 1 year or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Don't remember that stated in any commercials, 4g was a year away.
    To be fair to the OP, the was a Sprint commercial about the Palm Pre, and the tag line was that Sprint talked about Sprint being a 4g network. What they didn't say was that the only 4g service they offered (at the time) was the wireless card for your laptop.

Yeah, it was a little confusing for some folks.
    I guess I do remember that commercial... I can see how it could be confusing.
    It was discussed in this forum last year when Sprint first started advertising 4g wireless cards for laptops, people in here were asking if their Pre's were 4g ready if and when 4g became available but no way Sprint ever hinted that the Pre was a 4g ready device. More of wishful thinking from Pre owners.
    I don't think Hpalm should worry about 4g yet.. Just concentrate on solid hardware.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starling541 View Post
    Hey was it just me or did Sprint & Palm during the rollout make you believe the Pre was a 4G phone? Just wanting some thoughts on this?

Thanks

you are sure right I hate this palm really tricked us on this one
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starling541 View Post
    Hey was it just me or did Sprint & Palm during the rollout make you believe the Pre was a 4G phone? Just wanting some thoughts on this?

Thanks
    I believe the commercal said sprint with the first 4g network now brings you the first available 4g phone and they would show the palm pre

this is not good I will never foret this! sprint and palm! never
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cesarswc13 View Post
    I believe the commercal said sprint with the first 4g network now brings you the first available 4g phone and they would show the palm pre

Not saying it didn't exist, but I never saw that commercial. I remember commercials talking about the Pre then mentioning at the end that it's on the first 4g network. I never saw or heard an ad explicitly saying the Pre is a 4g phone. I never assumed it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesarswc13 View Post

Sorry, that's not what the ad said at all. I don't doubt that's what you thought you heard, and it's even possible that's what Sprint wanted people to hear (even though I don't think so), but that's not what they said.

In the commercials (there were 3 or 4 similar commercials), they showed whatever background view they were running, and then flashed a 3G network graphic, that then changed to a 4G network graphic as they said:

America's most dependable 3G network, bringing you the first wireless 4G network. Sprint, the now network.

The scene then became smaller, and appeard on the screen of a Palm Pre phone.

That's what led people to believe the Pre was 4G. However, they never said it.
    I was a somewhat early adopter of the Sprint Pre, and never under the impression it was 4G. The HTC EVO 4G is truly the only 4G phone out right now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast