1.    #1  
    I just received my first replacement Pre since I got it in October, and I wanted to conduct an experiment. I wanted to see how long I could go without tweaking the phone in any way, patches, themes etc. I received it yesterday (7/7/10) and so far I've noticed that it doesn't even need an overclock. My original Pre was never this snappy out of the box. Biggest issue I've had so far is the TMI error. Can't have more than messaging and a game (Deer Hunter) open at the same time which is understandable. With F102, I had a lot more but that isn't enough to turn me yet.

If anyone is curious as to what patches in specific I had before, I'd be glad to write out the list.

Basically the point of the experiment is to see if I need the patches. I've believed that the Pre needs the patches to be useful to me, and I want to see if I can prove myself wrong.
    I've been going two weeks now. I've developed a tweak withdraw twitch
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    may the force be with you

i could not do without the 5x4 icons, that i know for sure, after doing doctor once or twice and going back to the standard launcher page, it just didnt seem right at all.
    I just got a replacement yesterday at 4 pm. By 5 pm I had uberkernal, govnah, 4x4, and a few otehr patches installed. lol
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by z31dude View Post
    I just got a replacement yesterday at 4 pm. By 5 pm I had uberkernal, govnah, 4x4, and a few otehr patches installed. lol
    Haha believe me, I was super tempted.

I'm going to start documenting the issues I'm having as I go along.
    The TMI error obviously, and of course I would love to go back to 4x4, but the stock hasn't started to bug me enough yet.

The incoming SMS ringtone vibrate length is not nearly long enough, I need my 2 seconds back. It rings for about a half a second, I remember that's been a problem since 1.4 was released. But I'm still holding out.

I want to install Preware so bad but still holding out on that as well.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    un-patched, I HATE this phone... (except the form factor, I LOVE that)

...and uberkernal & govnah make the phone plenty snappy, too!

That said, I LOVED the voice-to-text SMS feature on the EVO, but, my god, talk about a huge, blah, slab of a form factor - feels like a thin brick in your hand... hope webOS builds-in, some of these features and patches. ...soon! ;-)
    I had to doctor my phone about 2 weeks ago and decided to use it un-patched.

I did break down and try out F105, but other than that, no patches installed! It runs great now.

I miss a few things that patches brought to the party,but it almost seems that if you patch it too much, that performance suffers. I think I will leave it this way for a while.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgetmedic View Post
    I had to doctor my phone about 2 weeks ago and decided to use it un-patched.

I did break down and try out F105, but other than that, no patches installed! It runs great now.

I miss a few things that patches brought to the party,but it almost seems that if you patch it too much, that performance suffers. I think I will leave it this way for a while.
    The phone does take a toll I've noticed when you patch it too much, and I can't stand that. Even after a doctor it still performs buggy. That's why I want to see if it's possible to go without patching or OC'ing.
  9.    #9  
    So far, I'm also really craving my messaging timestamps!
    pre anus experiment...
    That's some weird-*** experiment...
    Search the forums -- there are MANY people who state the exact same kind of behavior on performance when they doctor their phone. It appears that over time the performance degrades.

Many also suggest periodic doctoring just to improve performance.
    I had to doctor mine and I am currently patchless. I thought the update would be here by now. I am getting a lot of luna restarts and sometimes when I go to my email it opens to the all account screen. When I was patched I didn't have that problem. So as soon as the update hits I am putting all my gtray patches back on.
    Sprint launch day Pre owner here.

I've never bothered with hacks (ok, everyone calls them "patches" now -- too ambiguous for me) or homebrew apps. My phone runs great. I think those of you who have gone that route have spoiled yourselves and now you're missing them. Since I've never had that stuff on my phone, there's nothing for me to miss. Don't get me wrong, I would love to join in on the fun. However, I'm not interested in having to Dr my phone all the time as a consequence of buggy hacks. I'm a Sprint launch day Pre owner and have never doctored, never had restarts, never had oreo or other SW or HW issues. The only quirky thing I have is that my alarms occasionally get turned "off" somehow or the times on them change. Consequently, I've gotten accustomed to checking them every night before bed (which I admit I shouldn't have to do).

I do install and deinstall many apps from the app catalog. Play music on my phone all the time (I have nearly 7GB of music & pics on my phone). Regularly transfer media to/from my phone via USB. Use WIFI and Pandora (yes, I love my music). Take pics. Send 50+ mms messages a day. I now use my phone as my primary email client. Manage tasks and calendar events. Use my phone for navigation. Getting weather updates. Looking up nutritional info of foods (using the Absolute Fitness app). Track my workouts (using iStayFit). Always using the facebook app. Occasionally I use the crappy calculator. Use the web browser quite a bit (though I REALLY prefer to use a larger screen on a computer for that). And I use my phone for shopping (with easyShop). WHEW!!!!!!

I'm single, own and live alone, so there's a lot of stuff in my personal life I need to manage or it just won't happen (let's not even list all the stuff I use my phone for re work). So is there really anything practical that hacks/patches can do for me besides giving me greater ability to customize my phone?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Sprint launch day Pre owner here.

I've never bothered with hacks (ok, everyone calls them "patches" now -- too ambiguous for me) or homebrew apps. My phone runs great. I think those of you who have gone that route have spoiled yourselves and now you're missing them. Since I've never had that stuff on my phone, there's nothing for me to miss. Don't get me wrong, I would love to join in on the fun. However, I'm not interested in having to Dr my phone all the time as a consequence of buggy hacks. I'm a Sprint launch day Pre owner and have never doctored, never had restarts, never had oreo or other SW or HW issues. The only quirky thing I have is that my alarms occasionally get turned "off" somehow or the times on them change. Consequently, I've gotten accustomed to checking them every night before bed (which I admit I shouldn't have to do).

I do install and deinstall many apps from the app catalog. Play music on my phone all the time (I have nearly 7GB of music & pics on my phone). Regularly transfer media to/from my phone via USB. Use WIFI and Pandora (yes, I love my music). Take pics. Send 50+ mms messages a day. I now use my phone as my primary email client. Manage tasks and calendar events. Use my phone for navigation. Getting weather updates. Looking up nutritional info of foods (using the Absolute Fitness app). Track my workouts (using iStayFit). Always using the facebook app. Occasionally I use the crappy calculator. Use the web browser quite a bit (though I REALLY prefer to use a larger screen on a computer for that). And I use my phone for shopping (with easyShop). WHEW!!!!!!

I'm single, own and live alone, so there's a lot of stuff in my personal life I need to manage or it just won't happen (let's not even list all the stuff I use my phone for re work). So is there really anything practical that hacks/patches can do for me besides giving me greater ability to customize my phone?
    I'm actually really surprised you don't have Oreo, I got my first Pre in October and had the Oreo effect as soon as I walked out of the store. With my new one I'm a lot more careful though, using 2 hands to open and close the slider always.

I'm also surprised that you use all those things without any lag. I can imagine it being snappy at first but months and months after heavy usage the phone would probably start to take a drain. How is your battery life? When I have 3 bars, my phone will barely make it a day, but when I have full bars and even with moderately heavy use my phone makes it 1.5 days, but after about 6 months of heavy usage my battery started to die after around 10 hours.

I'm impressed that you haven't even tried patching yet. If I had known my performance would've degraded I wouldn't have started patching and hacking way back when. But the truth of the matter is, I had to at that point. The phone was incredibly laggy, so laggy that it would take 5+ seconds to respond to a swipe up or down, side to side and sometimes would just restart after being frozen for like 30 seconds. I have about 50-60 apps installed with a full page of games. I have 5 launcher pages because I added pages and that saves to your Palm profile (kinda funny that they don't have the functionality themselves). That's another thing, I'm assuming you have a lot of apps, but you only have 3 or 4 pages (I can't remember what the stock is). Scrolling up and down them is really irritating to me so that was actually the first patch I ever got.

There are patches that add functionality, and then there are those that make using the phone easier. There are even patches that fix known issues and bugs. You can head over to webOS-internals or Preware.org (I believe) to see the list of patches so you can find out which would be useful to you. But if you don't like them just run EPR and you can get rid of all them at once.
    Last edited by anus1220; 07/09/2010 at 03:11 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I had to doctor mine and I am currently patchless. I thought the update would be here by now. I am getting a lot of luna restarts and sometimes when I go to my email it opens to the all account screen. When I was patched I didn't have that problem. So as soon as the update hits I am putting all my gtray patches back on.
    That was mostly the reason why I started the experiment, I was going to wait for the update because I assumed it would come the day I received the Pre, then I figured I could wait a couple days. I'm actually loving the phone patchless. I got the same email error on my patched out the wazoo Pre when I installed 1.4.1, and it wasn't too much of a nuisance, but at the same time it was such a simple bug that got in the way. I've never gotten a Luna restart, and wonder why you do. There must be a reason.

But like I said I'm enjoying it patchless because it's running really smoothly for me. My old Pre I couldn't even scroll through the launcher pages, the phone would literally take 5+ seconds to respond to a swipe and sometimes just restart itself.

Of course there's all those patches that I sorely miss, and I give this experiment another week before I cave haha but let's see if I can go longer.