Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    When I connect to a USB I have two options, just charge or USB. When I pick one can I go to another one without re-connecting?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    so far from what i see....yes u can go from just charge to USB (just tap the icon in the dashboard after selecting just charge). but i havent found a way to go from USB to just charge without reconnecting.

    -david
  3. #3  
    that is correct. once in USB mode you have to pull the cable to force a quick luna restart. you can pug it right back in.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  4. davidtm's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    #4  
    Or, you can right-click on the Pre in My Computer and select "Eject" (Windows)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Or, you can right-click on the Pre in My Computer and select "Eject" (Windows)
    I didn't know that! If that works it would be a great "tip of the day" for the daily tip on the main page.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  6. #6  
    and yes just tested it....right-clicking on the palm pre in my computer and clicking eject works alot better then unplugging the device and plugging back in. clicking eject doesnt force a luna restart.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by david7598 View Post
    and yes just tested it....right-clicking on the palm pre in my computer and clicking eject works alot better then unplugging the device and plugging back in. clicking eject doesnt force a luna restart.
    For all versions of windows? (XP/Vista/Win7)? I won't get around enough PCs to try it for a day or two...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  8. #8  
    You should always eject before pulling the plug. If a file is in the middle of being written, and you pull the plug, you will corrupt your data. Eject stops all processes then tells you when it is safe to disconnect.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    You should always eject before pulling the plug. If a file is in the middle of being written, and you pull the plug, you will corrupt your data. Eject stops all processes then tells you when it is safe to disconnect.
    Nah...that's for Mac users ( )
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...



    ...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  10. davidtm's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I didn't know that! If that works it would be a great "tip of the day" for the daily tip on the main page.
    Well, you're welcome. But, guess what! I learned that little tip right here on Precentral a while back! Ain't we all great?!?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Nah...that's for Mac users ( )
    I'm a PC
    (not really. I'm human, but I am definitely not a Mac) <--- Not a 'Sad Mac'
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    that is correct. once in USB mode you have to pull the cable to force a quick luna restart. you can pug it right back in.
    Thats how you corrupt the USB drive...


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    For all versions of windows? (XP/Vista/Win7)? I won't get around enough PCs to try it for a day or two...
    yes. i just tried it on my windows 7 laptop.
  14. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #14  
    There are two ways that USB devices can be configured under Windows, either performance, or for fast removal. The idea is that for the best performance of a device that you will leave connected, as you save or load from the device, applications mostly just save to memory, and Windows itself will finish all writes to the drive in the background. If you tell it to set the device for fast removal, you tell Windows that you want data to be saved NOW, even if that will slow system performance significantly.

    So, if you just disconnect a device set for performance(not quick removal), then there is the possibility you will pull the device as it is being written to, which can cause filesystem errors.

    Since we are talking about the Pre and Pre Plus, there are clearly some things that need to happen on both sides of the connection. You can tell Windows to safely remove hardware, but it is also a good idea to make sure the Pre Plus exits that mode properly as well. I've done the "safely remove"
    on a Pre Plus, and I will still get the occasional error on my Pre Plus that there is filesystem damage that has been fixed.

Posting Permissions