webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > HTML codes <BR></BR> appear in Notes field in Contacts
HTML codes <BR></BR> appear in Notes field in Contacts

Old 07/08/2010, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

For some unknown reason, the text in Notes field of Contacts app includes html codes <BR></BR> in the midst of usual texts, without any line breaks.

As soon as I click Edit button, the Notes field all looks normal with line breaks, ready for editing. No trace of <BR></BR> codes.

By the way the Notes field looks normal in Gmail contacts.

Why is it? How to fix it?
appia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2010, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I happily ran the 1.4.5 upgrade this morning. The first thing I did was use Preware to upgrade all my existing patches to compatible versions. What brilliant people the webos-internals.org guys and all the patchers are!

The next thing I noticed, though, was a glitch in my Contacts. The Notes fields show parts of the HTML line break <br /> tag surrounding lines in the text. For example, a Notes entry like:

Spouse: Jane
Children: Johnny and Janey
Dog: Spot

now looks like:

Spouse: Jane
<br />Children: Johnny and Janey<br /> <br />
Dog: Spot<br />

This makes the long notes I use for my clients unreadable.

When I edit a contact and put the cursor in the notes field the text changes to not showing the HTML tags but as soon as I move to another field or swipe out of the contact the tags reappear.

My default mail, calendar and contacts account is on an Exchange 2003 server. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks!
ddreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2010, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I got this too, showing the br tags in the note field.

It has nothing to do with Exchange or Outlook or Pocket Mirror, etc.

I did a full reset, then put in a brand new contact and some simple entries in the notes section and the <br /> entries show up where i had pressed the new line carriage return button.

Talked to Palm about this, but there was no confirmation as to being a bug yet.

This problem was reported in this forum in the earlier O2 Intl release of 1.4.5 last month.

Can you say 1.4.5.1?

Last edited by pgmtech; 08/11/2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added link
pgmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2010, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddreger View Post

The next thing I noticed, though, was a glitch in my Contacts. The Notes fields show parts of the HTML line break <br /> tag surrounding lines in the text. For example, a Notes entry like:

Same here
KnoxBNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've only noticed this after the update (I think). can anyone else tell me why this is happening? Maybe it's a patch. I have the 'add more categories to the phone number patch.' Not sure what the name is, but it let's you choose more than 'mobile, home, work' for the phone numbers.

Help is always appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png contacts_2010-17-08_084946.png (55.6 KB, 169 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by voltageROCK; 08/17/2010 at 08:04 AM.
voltageROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

BTW, the <br/> that you see in the screen capture is where I hit the enter key to go to the next line in the Notes section.

Last edited by voltageROCK; 08/17/2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08/17/2010, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee, but the <br/> is the only thing I notice.
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

it's a bug that came with 1.4.5 the <br /> should make a new line... in the edit mode it's fine but in the contact
en0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey, I work in Middletown. That RadioShack is practically next door.
ronlongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
Maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee, but the <br/> is the only thing I notice.
Umm, <br/> is exactly the problem!! I don't know why it's in there, and what caused it, and if anyone else is having this problem as well. Is this happening to you too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
Hey, I work in Middletown. That Radio Shack is practically next door.
I guess you are in the Navy obviously, right? The problem with this phone is that I only know one other person who has it, and they don't know anything about Precentral or Patches or any of that!
Old 08/17/2010, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have the same problem, I deleted the new line (backspacing) and spaced until it was on the next line, only way to get rid of it for now, as it's very annoying!
KingRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

never seen it. Looks like an html tag. Did you try to remove it?

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
Reserve yours today!
Workerb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've got a similar problem that I've had for many webOS versions. It only happens when I download certain MP3's. For some reason it puts %'s all through the file name. Only some, not all thus making the file unplayable through any player. I must edit the filename (w/ Internalz or usb connection w/ pc) and remove the %s and save.

sorry for leaving the topic but I figured maybe it's related & something is not getting translated right? My PC will play the files with the %s in the name but I can't figure out why the PRE does it (puts %s in file name). When I download the file to the pc from the same place, there are no %s in the file name. I thought/think it is some sort of web language that the browser doesn't convert right.....??? FYI: I download files with the Multimod through the browser, w/ Sprint Pre, on 1.4.5.

this happens with MANY different sites I download MP3s from.
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Plays X files music
Old 08/17/2010, 03:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I guess no one else has seen this? It's rather annoying. I put a lot of notes down especially when I have multiple numbers for one store in different locations, like Best Buy, Radion Shack, CVS, etc. Could it possibly a patch? I have 37 installed and the only contact patches I have are and 'Additional contact labels' and 'Send all contact via email.'
Old 08/17/2010, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah it's a bug that I noticed soon after I updated to 1.4.5. This was not the case in 1.4.1.

*Reported the issue to Palm.

Last edited by Achill3s; 08/17/2010 at 04:12 PM.
Achill3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 04:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

</br> is a HTML tag that means carriage return (inserts a single line break.) it's what shows if you you a WYSIWYG editor hit enter and then veiw the source code

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
major payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 04:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
</br> is a HTML tag that means carriage return (inserts a single line break.) it's what shows if you you a WYSIWYG editor hit enter and then veiw the source code
If I could even understand your instructions, I would try it! I do appreciate your help in the explanation thou.
Old 08/17/2010, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
Yeah it's a bug that I noticed soon after I updated to 1.4.5. This was not the case in 1.4.1.

*Reported the issue to Palm.
Yes, it was noted by HardBeatZ in another thread that they have logged this problem. Kind of doubt it will be fixed until the next "maintenance" update, or maybe not even until the next major webOS update.

Wish there was something that could be done about it in the meantime, it is most annoying.

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
jjeffcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/17/2010, 05:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

So maybe Verizon Pre Plus will get webOS 1.4.5.1 to fix GPS bug and this bug as well! LOL
Kewl 700p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contact problems

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0