Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I've started streaming radio on my Pre recently. I knew the phone would get hot during the streaming and, indeed, it has. Is there any danger to the phone streaming for prolonged periods of time (several hours) due to the heat generated during streaming?

TIA
    Last edited by blaidan; 07/08/2010 at 06:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I have the UberKernel and Govnah on my Pre Plus. Whenever I stream media or use the Hotspot, I underclock to 250 MHz. Stays cool.
    is your uber from preware or testing feeds? didn't know the public release version of uber could underclock....
    I just installed the F105 1ghz kernel today and was streaming pandora for a couple hours and my temp never went above 35C. I usually plug my pre in when I stream pandora and I run the screenstate via govnah so it theoretically kicks down to 500mhz when plugged in, or when the screen is off. before the F105 I ran the F104, F102, and the older 800mhz patches and always use pandora for hours on end without ever noticing anything serious in the way of heat. My gps seems to get the phone much hotter than pandora ever has. I also use accu-radio and again never noticed anything overheating.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    is your uber from preware or testing feeds? didn't know the public release version of uber could underclock....
    It's the stable public release on Preware. With Govnah, I can set the clock to 125, 250, 500, 600, 720 or 800 MHz. My default profile scales from 125 to 800 MHz ondemand
    fascinating, is that the same for screenstate? I was under the impression that whatever you set it for, it won't drop below 500.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    fascinating, is that the same for screenstate? I was under the impression that whatever you set it for, it won't drop below 500.
    There are multiple govenors in Govnah:

screenstate, conservative, ondemand, powersave, userspace, performance

screenstate merely changes the clock based on the screen being on or off. userspace is a constant clock, the others all scale the ranges you set.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I don't have any overclocking patches on my Pre.

So, back to my original question... :-)

Is there any danger to the phone streaming for prolonged periods of time (several hours) due to the heat generated during streaming?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    I don't have any overclocking patches on my Pre.

So, back to my original question... :-)

Is there any danger to the phone streaming for prolonged periods of time (several hours) due to the heat generated during streaming?

Thanks!
    In general, it should be safe as long if you don't set it in direct sunlight and have some general air flow. The only damage to a stock Pre would be to the battery. Hotter temperatures degrade the life capacity of a battery to hold a charge and it also discharges energy at a faster rate.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Thanks for the detailed info, Abyssul.