Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    is there a way to have a portable version of novacom? I want to have access to WQI on the go if needed but my work laptop is protected and won't allow any installs. is there a way around this? thanks in advance.
    What are you trying to accomplish? I have found I can do quite a bit with Internalz and Terminal on my Pre.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    install ipk's on the road, or just in case I ever had to hard reset I wanted to be able to get preware/homebrews back on my phone without waiting til I got home.
    The WebOS Internals site has instructions for installing without WOSQI but unless there is a way to get a Linux command line without Terminal or Novaterm then IDK. Sorry, I thought there was a different method.

Preware Wiki HERE
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 07/08/2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Correction
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    thank you that's helpful, with the ipk's is there a way to use internalz and terminal to install?
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gage View Post
    thank you that's helpful, with the ipk's is there a way to use internalz and terminal to install?
    I have asked this question before myself for the same reasons since I cannot have WOSQI installed on my computer at work. This would obviously be particularly useful when it is something not available in Preware. I suspect there is a way but I don't know. Somebody with some smarts will have to chime in.
    Use Portable version of Virtualbox?
    Use PC Anywhere to log into a remote computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    Use PC Anywhere to log into a remote computer.
    Or better yet set up remote desktop or ssh
    Quote Originally Posted by 12gage View Post
    is there a way to have a portable version of novacom? I want to have access to WQI on the go if needed but my work laptop is protected and won't allow any installs. is there a way around this? thanks in advance.
    if your work notebook has a locked hd and can install anything and has a cdrom you can down load ubuntu its a live OS on a disk boot up with it and you have a full unlocked open os no matter were you go and it makes NO changes to your work pc thats how i got by crap like that at my job i would just use a live cd. and boot from it.

www.ubuntu.com
    I think the easiest solution would be to get Terminal into the Palm App Catalog. Then anytime you re-load your Palm profile you can download and install preware directly from your Pre Linux command line.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I think the easiest solution would be to get Terminal into the Palm App Catalog. Then anytime you re-load your Palm profile you can download and install preware directly from your Pre Linux command line.
    That would be stellar. I wonder if Palm would allow it. My guess is no, but perhaps if there was a way to start it out in /media/internal or something or as a non-root user (so you have to sudo to do anything dangerous) then maybe, just maybe they would allow it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    That would be stellar. I wonder if Palm would allow it. My guess is no, but perhaps if there was a way to start it out in /media/internal or something or as a non-root user (so you have to sudo to do anything dangerous) then maybe, just maybe they would allow it.
    I know Rod is busy but perhaps somebody could contact him and see if he is willing to put a little energy into getting it into the catalog. (at least making the query)

The only other solution I can think of would be some type of self extracting and install utility so it could just be installed from the USB portion of the drive. Although I have no idea if that is even possible.