Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hey folks, question here: Does it happen to you too that after you do a backup (let's say using Pre Backup Utility for instance) and you save that backup in your PC, if you delete the file from your phone it continues to allocate that space in your phone??

    I've made 2 backups, about 700MB each, and in order to save space on my phone I've deleted those files after I've saved the .tar.gz files to my PC, but none the less the Pre doesn't show that 1.4GB as available....even after deletion of the files my available space is 100MB instead of the expected 1.5GB..

    Any ideas or explanation or light on the issue will be greatly appreciated!
  2. #2  
    You have to restart the phone. The space is available, but if you dont restart linux wont acknowledge it.
  3. #3  
    you say you have a pc I know mac users have stated they had to empty their trash folder to see the available space.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    you say you have a pc I know mac users have stated they had to empty their trash folder to see the available space.
    Nah hes talking about his phone. He used Pre Backup Utility which saves backup of texts messages and what not. The app encourages you to move all you backups to your PC after its done and then replace it when you want to do a restore. Basically, he's saying that he moved the files from the Pre, but the Pre didnt show an increase in space. All he has to do is restart the phone though, that also happened to me too.
  5. #5  
    OP are you running a custom kernel?
  6.    #6  
    I did restart the phone but the space still won't show as available.... and yes, I'm running a custom kernel F105 Thunderchief (1GHz)...
    I've tried everything I can think of...restarting luna, java, the phone, pulling out the battery and restart, and still it shows only 0.1GB of space when it should be showing around 1.5GB of available space...
    ??????
  7. #7  
    I had the same problem with the same kernel. Try removing the kernel and the problem should go away, then reinstall it and you should still be fine.
  8.    #8  
    Awesome! I'm gonna try that now.. Thanks QuarlesLT
  9.    #9  
    it didn't work :-( ... I still have only 0.1GB of space even though I removed 1.4GB worth of backups.. any other ideas?
  10. #10  
    Yeah try this, very similar thread from yesterday.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...any-space.html
  11. #11  
    Try enabling "Show hidden folders" in windows if you haven't already and see if there's something still showing on your phone that's not normally visible. If not then I'm stumped.
  12.    #12  
    @mjkjr: Dude, you rock! I'm a Mac user and "emptying the trash" cleared the space on my pre as well! I got now 2.7GB... Superb! Thanks!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Njtroncoso View Post
    @mjkjr: Dude, you rock! I'm a Mac user and "emptying the trash" cleared the space on my pre as well! I got now 2.7GB... Superb! Thanks!
    You're welcome!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    You're welcome!
    You're on a roll mjkjr
    There is no spoon
  15. #15  
    Freaking Macs.... read this whole thing trying to think of the issue as I was going through the thread... good to know you got it fixed!
  16. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #16  
    Ignore all of the other random posts on here. It's because you haven't emptied the trash. A little lesson on the way trash bins/recycle bins/etc work on modern OSes: a pointer to the file is moved to the trash, but the file isn't actually deleted until you empty the trash; that's what allows the "undo" button to put the files back.

    If you want the space on your Pre (or any other external disk, for that matter), you need to empty the trash before you eject or unmount the disk.

    P.S., that's the same for Macs, Windows, and Linux.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Ignore all of the other random posts on here. It's because you haven't emptied the trash. A little lesson on the way trash bins/recycle bins/etc work on modern OSes: a pointer to the file is moved to the trash, but the file isn't actually deleted until you empty the trash; that's what allows the "undo" button to put the files back.

    If you want the space on your Pre (or any other external disk, for that matter), you need to empty the trash before you eject or unmount the disk.

    P.S., that's the same for Macs, Windows, and Linux.

    However it's NOT the same on windows. And I'm almost positive not Linux either.

    Windows by default will simply delete the pointers along with the files on USB/External Drives. Otherwise it will (basically) create a virtual Recycle Bin on the device which, when removed, will be lost.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Nah hes talking about his phone. He used Pre Backup Utility which saves backup of texts messages and what not. The app encourages you to move all you backups to your PC after its done and then replace it when you want to do a restore. Basically, he's saying that he moved the files from the Pre, but the Pre didnt show an increase in space. All he has to do is restart the phone though, that also happened to me too.
    no. OP wants to delete the already deleted items from his phone. so plug it into usb drive, and users have reported that when plugging it into a mac via usb drive, deleting the trash will include deleting the trash on the pre/pixi, because the ._Trashes folder on the pre/pixi combines itself with the ._Trashes folder on the mac.

Posting Permissions