Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Well, my Pre had a blast swimmin in a lake, was having a great time but alas it didn't survive the experience. It's toast...

I tried drying it out in a bag of rice, let it sit for a couple of days before I gave in and ponied up the $100 deductible on the insurance.

The question I have now is; is there anyway to salvage the memory? My contacts and apps are obviously backed up regularly but my pics and vids were not. I have hundreds of pics and a ton of video I really hate to lose.

Is there any way at all to retrieve it?
    Have you already attempted to hook it up to a pc? Does it refuse to show any signs of life?
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    Yeah water can do some wonderous things to electronic devices.

If you are getting absolutely no reaction from the device or from your computer when you are connecting then there isn't much you will be able to do except take this life lesson for what it is..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I have read several posts from people who baked their water soaked phones in low heat for a couple hours and were able to get them to work. I would keep it at 140 or less. At worst, you can eat it if it doesn't work....
    Haha take caution if you try the baking thing, I know someone who forget it was in the oven and melted their phone haha.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smknutson View Post
    Have you already attempted to hook it up to a pc? Does it refuse to show any signs of life?
    haven't tried hooking up to the pc, maybe just the display is dead? Worth a shot I guess...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    I have read several posts from people who baked their water soaked phones in low heat for a couple hours and were able to get them to work. I would keep it at 140 or less. At worst, you can eat it if it doesn't work....
    hmmmm, I'm supposed to return the old phone, not sure I want to chance that or I could get stuck payin the full replacement cost..
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw_2112 View Post
    hmmmm, I'm supposed to return the old phone, not sure I want to chance that or I could get stuck payin the full replacement cost..
    I don't see how that would be the case since insurance covers even a lost phone for the $100 deductible...
    If you are going to bake out the water I wouldn't go above 110deg. F
    140 is too much.
    I would also repeat the drying exercise (just in case), and test it with a new battery. It could be your battery is dead.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I would also repeat the drying exercise (just in case), and test it with a new battery. It could be your battery is dead.
    thought of that too, tried it and no joy...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aliatgb View Post
    I don't see how that would be the case since insurance covers even a lost phone for the $100 deductible...
    Had to give a desc of what happened when I filed the ins. claim, if it turns up half melted I'd have some 'splainin to do...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw_2112 View Post
    Well, my Pre had a blast swimmin in a lake, was having a great time but alas it didn't survive the experience. It's toast...

I tried drying it out in a bag of rice, let it sit for a couple of days before I gave in and ponied up the $100 deductible on the insurance.

The question I have now is; is there anyway to salvage the memory? My contacts and apps are obviously backed up regularly but my pics and vids were not. I have hundreds of pics and a ton of video I really hate to lose.

Is there any way at all to retrieve it?
    I took mine for a swim several months back. After trying the rice trick, I could not get it to boot up, and sucked it up to get a new phone. Just a couple of weeks ago, I randomly decided to try to turn it on, and voila - it worked. I accessed all my lost files. The only problem was that wi-fi and bluetooth did not work. So now I have a pre as an additional USB drive. So my advice is patience. Try it again in a few weeks after it's 100% dried out on its own. You might get your data back.
    3 days in the sun inside on a window ledge fixed the last cell phone my kid took swimming. We read a few posts of cleaning first with distilled water 9pool chemicals bad) but didn't bother. Phone worked fine for a year before it was upgraded.