Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Me and my wife, both new Pre Plus owners. We are having some reception issues, dropped calls, people having trouble understanding us, etc. I called Verizon (I'm under the 30 day window, can still return everything...) and they are saying there are no other complaints about dropped calls in my area.

So, does the Pre have reception issues at times?

thanks!
    You're holding it wrong

But on a serious note I would say Verizon since you're both having these issues
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    You're holding it wrong

But on a serious note I would say Verizon since you're both having these issues
    I'm not so sure. My wife and I both have verizon pre plus's. I never have the issue, but my wife's phone is dropping calls constantly.

Her phone has the patch to bypass the pin to unlock (she needs the pin in order for her work email to be accessible). I have no proof, but I feel there may be a connection. Anyway, we will never know because she refused to go back to entering her pin for even a day or two to test my theory.
    Might have a bad radio... just exchange it
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    It's the phone. Reception issues are widely complained about with the Pre, everyone keeps passing the buck on the blame, though.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    What 063_xobx said.
    The easy answer is Verizon. Move to a different location and try both phones, if you still have reception problems, exchange the phones.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  8.    #8  
    Darn. Still having issues. Verizon says it's not the network and that they know of no reception issues with the Pre - - - but I'm at a loss of what to do. Think I'm just going to go to the Verizon store in the next couple of days, sit mine and my wife's Pre's on the desk and tell them to fix it, whether that means getting different kinds of phones or whatever.

I have quickly become a HUGE fan of webOS and would love to keep this phone, but... it's a freakin phone, first and foremost we have to be able to make clear calls without dropping.

It seems to me there are indeed reception problems with this phone. Enough others online have mentioned it that it doesn't seem like we are the only ones.

Anyone have any last things that I should try before I possibly end my short-lived venture into webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinoishere View Post
    Darn. Still having issues. Verizon says it's not the network and that they know of no reception issues with the Pre - - - but I'm at a loss of what to do. Think I'm just going to go to the Verizon store in the next couple of days, sit mine and my wife's Pre's on the desk and tell them to fix it, whether that means getting different kinds of phones or whatever.

I have quickly become a HUGE fan of webOS and would love to keep this phone, but... it's a freakin phone, first and foremost we have to be able to make clear calls without dropping.

It seems to me there are indeed reception problems with this phone. Enough others online have mentioned it that it doesn't seem like we are the only ones.

Anyone have any last things that I should try before I possibly end my short-lived venture into webOS?
    I've had my Verizon Pre Plus for about 3 and a half months and I don't have any reception issues. I've been with Verizon for a long time, and while I hate their guts (they've always been the biggest gonifs in the business, though AT&T is now tied with Verizon for the title) I have to admit that they have a damn good network. Every day in the school year I go back and forth between my house in Central New Jersey (it's close to Princeton) and my school in New Hope, which is in the beginnings of PA. At my house I have 4 or 5 bars almost all day with my Pre. The dumbphone I had before I got my Pre Plus was on Verizon too, and for the 18 months or so that I had it (well, it broke once and I swapped for a new one but it's the same phone) that god-damn thing always got about 3 bars in my house, sometimes just 2. I had that phone- a Samsung Sway- for the better part of a year before something-or-other on the phone broke (I forget quickly, ok? ) so I sent it back to Verizon and they mailed me a new Samsung Sway. The issue I had was gone because it was a brand new phone, but the phone still insisted that I got just 2 or 3 bars at my house. I don't remember how many bars I got at school, but I do remember that receiving texts always was considerably slower than it is on my Pre. Calls weren't great there either- on my Pre they're significantly better than my old phone and while still not as good as in my house, it's overall pretty good to decent call quality there. No dropping though. I've actually had very few dropped calls on my Pre- I could count them on my fingers. Probably just with 1 hand. To be honest, I'm not sure how to tell if I drop a call or someone else does. I have a friend who is on T-Mobile and most of the dropped calls I've had (again, I've had very few) have been with him- odds are he's dropping those calls and not me. He's the only person I know who uses T-Mobile by the way... there are maybe 4 places on our school campus where he can make a call without dropping!
    Point is that the Pre's radio is pretty good- especially when compared to some other Verizon phones. So I think you need to get your wife's Pre exchanged. And trust me, that patch he uses has absolutely nothing to do with any signal issues her phone is having. Patches are usually tested carefully for problems, and besides, that patch doesn't touch anything remotely related to telephony, the network, or signal strength at all- it has nothing to to with it. If anyone has any evidence that it does, I'd love to hear it. Verizon hopefully will give your wife a new Pre Plus if you explain what happens and there's no signs of major physical damage or any water damage. Hope they give you a new Pre without too much hassle
    Good luck!

PS: If you've got any questions about what I've said, or if you found it helpful (or not so helpful ) I'd love to know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    You're holding it wrong
    You came really close to making me spit my cider out from laughing so hard. I could've destroyed my MacBook if I spit it out! You know, I actually fried the motherboard on my first MacBook (this is my 2nd) by spilling half a glass of cider on it. Took a long time till I had the money for a new one. At least I've gotten more careful though. Seriously, this thread wouldn't be complete without an awesome "hold different" joke. Kudos to you.
    Last edited by Seb_or_Sam; 07/12/2010 at 11:47 PM.
    I have a Pre Plus with AT&T and I have no reception issues...
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I had the pre plus with verizon and could not get reception in my house or office but then again neither could my wife who had a Droid. Switched back to ATT(iphones) and problem solved. Verizon was the issue, so maybe if your within your 30 day return period try the pre plus on ATT?
    Quote Originally Posted by fussellino View Post
    I had the pre plus with verizon and could not get reception in my house or office but then again neither could my wife who had a Droid. Switched back to ATT(iphones) and problem solved. Verizon was the issue, so maybe if your within your 30 day return period try the pre plus on ATT?
    Some networks have better coverage than others in specific areas. Just the name of the game.

As for the OP, the Palm Pre has rarely had any complaints about the radios or signal strength although anything is possible for a faulty part. If your wifes Pre is having trouble with connections, yet your Pre works normally then I would suggest that. If both Pres are acting up, then I would blame the Verizon network since it is very unlikely to have two faulty Pres. You could easily this fixed by going to your Verizon store. Ask them nicely at first and state your situation. If they still persist on paying some fees or ignoring the issue, then threaten to switch providers and usually they act up. That is the last thing they want you to do and is the ultimate weapon.

Whether you actually switch providers is up to your discretion.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    That's you're iPhone 4. The Palm is the friendlier one with the small screen, snappy interface, and true multi-tasking. Oh wait, ATT? Your problem isn't with the phone then...
  14.    #14  
    Man, I've been dragging this out. I think I'm going to exchange my wife's phone today as she has been having more problems than me (though I've had some, too).

I haven't overclocked her phone or anything, but I do have some patches on it. Do I need to worry about them blaming the phone issues on the fact that I've put those on it?
    Its the Pre. I had great signals with my Treo and since updating to the Pre the reception has gone down (for me).

ET
  16.    #16  
    Is the Pixi any better you think? Maybe we should switch her to that??
    Is the Pixi any better you think? Maybe we should switch her to that??
    Pixi is probably the same.

Don't worry about patches. Nearly all technicians are unaware of their existence, and even if they do know, they don't care.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Hey, how'd it go? Did you swap your wife's Pre?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    Hey, how'd it go? Did you swap your wife's Pre?
    Yes, we did, on Friday. I'll know by end of day today if her reception is any better. Her initial impression was that it sounded better, so hopefully it was a bad antennae in the old phone.

Problem now is, I did the whole Save/Restore and Pre Backup process to make sure I got everything on the new phone and it worked except it jacked all her contacts. It restored only the names with no info behind them and if you click on one of the contacts it doesn't let you edit them. Not sure what to do about that at the moment...
    Yes, we did, on Friday. I'll know by end of day today if her reception is any better. Her initial impression was that it sounded better, so hopefully it was a bad antennae in the old phone.

Problem now is, I did the whole Save/Restore and Pre Backup process to make sure I got everything on the new phone and it worked except it jacked all her contacts. It restored only the names with no info behind them and if you click on one of the contacts it doesn't let you edit them. Not sure what to do about that at the moment...
    I know this isnt everyones favorite but you might visit the doctor in this case.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast