1.    #1  
    Is its ok to leave both google services and GPS on at the same time? I usually leave google services off and GPS on, but sometimes GPS cant find signal, you know since it doesnt use WiFi or EVDO, but google services does. So what do you think Precentral?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Is its ok to leave both google services and GPS on at the same time? I usually leave google services off and GPS on, but sometimes GPS cant find signal, you know since it doesnt use WiFi or EVDO, but google services does. So what do you think Precentral?
    I leave both enabled and have had great luck with getting a GPS fix. Both are enabled by default.

Also, GPS does use EVDO to help with locating you. It uses aGPS (as everyone on Verizon knows all too well.) The combination of normal GPS, Google Services, and aGPS thru Sprint have served me well.
    Life moves fast. Don't miss a thing.
    Ever since the young days of webOS (ok, so maybe after the 1.3ish or so), I've left these on with no noticeable increase in battery drainage. GPS used to be a big killer, but that has been fixed. It is so much easier just to leave it on.

I'm sure battery optimization purists will weigh in with "turn gps off", but I find the pain of having to remember to turn it back on worse than the extra "0.05% per hour" (completely made up btw ;-) ) battery drain.
    I always leave Google Services on. I travel frequently, and I use it to get the approximate location to find gas, food, lodging, etc on the go. True GPS takes too much convoluted chanting and hokus pokus to start up... I am on Verizon Wireless, you see....

Leaving Google Services running does not effect how to startup the GPS radios. I still have to open VZnavigator, let it run about 20-30 seconds before opening up 3rd party location apps.

I used to turn off GPS radios, ostensibly to save battery. Lately, I have been leaving the radios on 24/7. Doesn't seem to really significantly drain the battery. Besides, the GPS radios seem to go to sleep all on their own anyways in the absence of activity.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the response! i'll like to know more if possible
    I leave it all on. From time to time I find that I have to do a reset of my java to reset all the radios and then all goes back to normal. What's the point of turning them off. They are needed so often.
    so, does turning vz navigator on, even with no navigator account, help third party apps et a gps fix? I have been unable to get a definative answer for that, and I have searched. I am on a vz pre plus and the gps is waaaaay off sometimes...
    By the way, how does Google Services work? I have them enabled but I'm not sure what they do.
    From my understanding, if you have Google location services on, apps use cell tower triangulation to get a "coarse" fix on your position, usually within 3000 feet, in about 10 seconds. This is a good for getting the local weather, or finding business close by, for example.

However, it does not "follow" you and is not locked on your true location, just which cell tower you hit. If I'm looking to get a true GPS lock (for example in JogStats), I always turn Google Services off. It seems to me that many apps think they have a fix on you if you leave Google Services on, but it's just the cell tower fix, so things like speed, tracking, etc don't work correctly.

This post on the palm dev site has a little more info:
    Location Service – Palm Developer Center
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDrizzle View Post
    From my understanding, if you have Google location services on, apps use cell tower triangulation to get a "coarse" fix on your position, usually within 3000 feet, in about 10 seconds. This is a good for getting the local weather, or finding business close by, for example.

However, it does not "follow" you and is not locked on your true location, just which cell tower you hit. If I'm looking to get a true GPS lock (for example in JogStats), I always turn Google Services off. It seems to me that many apps think they have a fix on you if you leave Google Services on, but it's just the cell tower fix, so things like speed, tracking, etc don't work correctly.

This post on the palm dev site has a little more info:
    Location Service – Palm Developer Center
    Ahhhh there goes the answer i was looking for. But google map actually locks on to my house though. I tweaked the GPS with Ebaggs settings.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I leave both on, and GPS is somewhat accurate while still. Driving, GPS pinpoints me usually and follows me no problem.
    This is what I find (and I have Verizon/Pre plus, which makes a difference)

Using WIFI I can use google services and get a decent lock using google maps.

Using 3G, I have to turn off google services, turn on GPS, and start up Verizon Navigator. Then I will get a good lock (using google maps). (using google services causes an inaccurate position). However, if I let the screen shut off and don't keep the google maps session active for a "few" minutes, the position becomes locked to the last time and does not update. I need to close and restart verizon navigator to update the position then.
    If I start google maps with GPS on (google services off) and do not start Verizon Navigator, I either don't get a lock at all or it shows the previous updated position.
    I also have the "Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS" patch, but the only difference I see with this is my position stays accurate as long as I keep the google maps application active.