Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    My wife is interested in a Pre - but the idea of installing software outside of the "conventional" app catalog method is beyond her technical capability.

Do you think there will be a "theming" app officially available in the app catalog? Seems like there are plenty of wallpaper apps.
    It's been over a year since the Pre was introduced. I wouldn't hold my breath on an officially sanctioned theming app being released anytime soon.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    is not as hard as you think if you really want to enjoy the homebrews and all it's patches and ovclocking. First look at the official catalog ( I love homebrews ) install it and from there it will tell you all tools you need.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 473x15 View Post
    is not as hard as you think if you really want to enjoy the homebrews and all it's patches and ovclocking. First look at the official catalog ( I love homebrews ) install it and from there it will tell you all tools you need.
    I've done it to my own phone I was just trying to see what options a "typical" user would have with regards to theming.
    leave the phone in dev mode and let her use preware.

preware is just as easy to use as the official app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    leave the phone in dev mode and let her use preware.

preware is just as easy to use as the official app catalog.
    Preware is super-easy, but..

1. I didn't think it had to be in dev mode for installing themes with Preware?
    2. Is there anything *dangerous* about leaving it in dev mode? If not, why is it an option?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    I heard that if you are in Dev-Mode there is a small security risk but it requires the phone to be connected via USB to be exploited so it's not an issue at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Preware is super-easy, but..

1. I didn't think it had to be in dev mode for installing themes with Preware?
    2. Is there anything *dangerous* about leaving it in dev mode? If not, why is it an option?
    It doesn't have to be left in dev mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    It doesn't have to be left in dev mode.
    I thought that was the case. I seem to remember installing lots of stuff from Preware without putting it into dev mode..

So yeah...to the OP...just set up Preware and its necessary cohorts and show her how to get to themes...piece...o'....pie...
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Unless something has changed recently, you'll need to remove any themes before applying an official upgrade otherwise weird things may happen. If your spouse isn't technically inclined, I would recommend against the full on theming of her Pre. Stick to wallpaper and ringtones. **nods**