1.    #1  
    I'm going to South Africa for 7 days and was told by Sprint my Pre would not work.

Anyone know if I can still use it when in range of wifi? Will apps work? Etc.
    Leave it on Airplane Mode and turn WiFi on. Make sure you don't turn airplane mode off by accident, roaming charges are expensive!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    Leave it on Airplane Mode and turn WiFi on. Make sure you don't turn airplane mode off by accident, roaming charges are expensive!
    Didn't realize you could have wifi on when in Airplane Mode.

Thanks.
    sprint pre is cdma, south africa is only gsm, so in turn he wont receive signal so he won't receive charges but will drain the hell out of his battery. so just turn on airplane mode and turn on wifi after and ur good
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Try it while you're still in the states. The airplane mode thing, works like a charm.
  6.    #6  
    Try it while you're still in the states. The airplane mode thing, works like a charm.
    But you can't receive text or phone calls when in airplane mode with wifi on, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by apalemick View Post
    But you can't receive text or phone calls when in airplane mode with wifi on, right?
    Nope, you will only get data: web browsing, facebook, email, etc. Airplane mode means no phone radio at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Nope, you will only get data: web browsing, facebook, email, etc. Airplane mode means no phone radio at all.
    What he said haha.
  9. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    You can use google voice SMS via WIFI. Would not give u voice call ability . . . atleast the straight version wouldn't.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I am on Verizon. Do the data limits apply when getting data via wifi with airplane mode on?
    Quote Originally Posted by fed123 View Post
    I am on Verizon. Do the data limits apply when getting data via wifi with airplane mode on?
    no bc its not from the phone radio, its like using wifi on ur laptop, doesnt apply to ur plan
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Can anyone tell me whether a GSM pre/pixi can be used with a South African SIM card? My son needs a phone that will work as a tether and both are very cheap unlocked on Amazon.