Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. stoptripn's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
       #1  
    My 2nd Pre needs to be replaced, but because there is slight crack by my mini-usb port Sprint (Palm either) will not replace it. Please don't get me wrong...I love my Pre and WebOS, but come on you (Sprint) wants me to play $100 to have it replaced when we all know they are giving them away for free. Can someone please tell why I should bite the bullet and pay $100 for a used Palm Pre instead of going to the dark side?
  2. #2  
    If you're feeling bold, you can fix the crack yourself like I did.

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...usb-crack.html

  3. #3  
    please stay. if they are willing to send you another phone, and the thing will automatically sync everything back to the phone... seems like a plan to me!

    It's a shame that Sprint seems intent on charging for those cracks as if they are the user's fault. Verizon's stance is that unless there are signs of abuse (like scrapes from being dropped) it is a defect in material, and therefore covered by warranty. Have you tried calling Sprint customer service to get a replacement by phone? They may be able to exchange it for other complaints, and they are measured on happy calls. See of phone support treats you better, and tell them you will switch to Verizon... and see if that motivates them...
  4. #4  
    they will do what ever you want if you say yr leaving them,give it a shot. And nicer you are to them,nicer they are to you.
  5. stoptripn's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
       #5  
    I actually went in the sprint tech store today and was told after sitting in the chair for 2 minutes, that Palm would not replace it because of the crack. The tech even accused me of dropping the phone. So at this point, Sprint and Palm aren't in good with me.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoptripn View Post
    My 2nd Pre needs to be replaced, but because there is slight crack by my mini-usb port Sprint (Palm either) will not replace it. Please don't get me wrong...I love my Pre and WebOS, but come on you (Sprint) wants me to play $100 to have it replaced when we all know they are giving them away for free. Can someone please tell why I should bite the bullet and pay $100 for a used Palm Pre instead of going to the dark side?
    Have you call in or took it for repairs! If so,then I won't be able to help you get a new one. However, they (sprint and palm) are aware of that problem that most users have with the usb port. They have change many phones for that reason. They are just being jerks. I wouldn't recommend paying a hundred dollars for a known problem, that's not cause by you. Take the phone to a corporate store and stand your ground... In having them replace your device. (note) I have had several exchanges and most have been brand new replacement by sprint, and my problems wasn't severe as yours.


    Cheers!
    Last edited by rush; 07/06/2010 at 05:35 PM.
  7. stoptripn's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
       #7  
    Thanks for the info, but I think I'm going to passed on it.
  8. stoptripn's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
       #8  
    I was at a corporate store today and that's where the tech told me that I'd have to get it replace through the insurance because of the crack.
  9. #9  
    the sheer fact that your seeking advice on sticking with webOS makes you edicated to webOS itself.
    you need no persuasion.
  10. d.moss's Avatar
    Posts
    541 Posts
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    #10  
    peace out L7
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoptripn View Post
    Thanks for the info, but I think I'm going to passed on it.
    You can also hit the "live chat" button on the Palm site. I wouldn't be happy if a crack appeared by the usb port where impact wouldn't contribute.

    Also, you can put a skin on it (zagg, skintome, etc) to re-enforce the screen and perhaps keep it from spreading. As long as it doesn't get worse, it shouldn't affect the function of the phone - it's just annoying.

    Annoying enough that I'd keep escalating until I find someone that will make it right. Tell them (nicely) that you'd like to speak to their supervisor, and keep doing it until you get someone with the authority to override the script.
  12. #12  
    when I had my pre stolen I bought a pre off of someone who bought a htc evo for 60 bucks. You can try that route. I mean I could of bough an evo with my upgrade and all but my friends evo is boring and I like the video quality on my pre camcorder more than his. And his phone loads slow for some reason.... Stick with a pre.
  13. #13  
    I'm sorry to hear that... Next time come on the forum before taking your phone in for repairs. I could have help in getting a new replacement.


  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoptripn View Post
    My 2nd Pre needs to be replaced, but because there is slight crack by my mini-usb port Sprint (Palm either) will not replace it. Please don't get me wrong...I love my Pre and WebOS, but come on you (Sprint) wants me to play $100 to have it replaced when we all know they are giving them away for free. Can someone please tell why I should bite the bullet and pay $100 for a used Palm Pre instead of going to the dark side?
    Ordinarily, I would be the first person to tell you to jump ship. I hated this phone for a while. That was until I installed the F105 kernel and overclocked my phone to 1 Ghz. The difference is huge. It really is a great device, which suffers from hardware that is way below what this OS needs. This is a phone that can do 10x what the iPhone 3GS can do, except running on identical hardware.
  15. #15  
    I would love to tell you to stay with Palm, because I'm a big fan of WebOS. But in all honesty, the Pre's hardware was a total P.O.S. and with HP's affinity for manufacturing high volume, low quality hardware, I don't expect the next Palm phone (if and when it happens) to be much better. Get yourself an EVO and live happily ever after.
    The Saint
  16. #16  
    It's WebOS...what more reason do you need?
    Admiration is the furthest emotion away from understanding.

    Lou Holtz loves slurpies!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by clintwinstead View Post
    I would love to tell you to stay with Palm, because I'm a big fan of WebOS. But in all honesty, the Pre's hardware was a total P.O.S. and with HP's affinity for manufacturing high volume, low quality hardware, I don't expect the next Palm phone (if and when it happens) to be much better. Get yourself an EVO and live happily ever after.
    Comes with a free peel away screen
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  18. #18  
    I agree with clintwinstead. WebOS is promising, but the Pre hardware sucks, and so does HP's. I own an HP laptop and literally a couple days after the warranty ended the hardware started dying, it's a conspiracy!! But as far as Palm support goes, they're (mostly) useless. I was on chat with them for hours trying to get a replacement for my original first Pre I've owned since October 09 and the extent of their help was "doctor it". They're as clueless and dumb as it gets. I had the "Phone offline" error and they didn't care they were hellbent on charging me to have it replaced in a somewhat convenient manner. My brother just bought the EVO and it is an amazing piece of hardware, and the "peel away" screen is not nearly as irritating or bad as the oreo effect or any of the 100's of the Pre's defects. Plus he doesn't even have that issue so it was probably fixed by now. I really hope HP proves us all wrong by coming out with hardware that isn't as cheap as possible.

    I finally got a resolution to my problem by calling Sprint up and telling them the issue and they were super friendly and apologetic about it. As soon as they found out I was a Pre owner they transferred me to another department (and I was already speaking to Technical Support). I feel like they have a special department for Pre complaints because they probably get so many. Anyway, they're sending me a replacement FREE OF CHARGE overnight with a pre paid return envelope. In the 5 minutes I was on the phone with the guy, he managed to appease my issue more than any of the dumb*** Palm support employees I was speaking to for HOURS!

    I hope that in the end Sprint can help you because I know Palm won't.
  19. stoptripn's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by stoptripn View Post
    My 2nd Pre needs to be replaced, but because there is slight crack by my mini-usb port Sprint (Palm either) will not replace it. Please don't get me wrong...I love my Pre and WebOS, but come on you (Sprint) wants me to play $100 to have it replaced when we all know they are giving them away for free. Can someone please tell why I should bite the bullet and pay $100 for a used Palm Pre instead of going to the dark side?
    Thanks for everyone's info and knowledge. I heard back from Sprint via email and I will get a credit towards my replacement of my phone after I receive it. This makes me feel good because I really didn't want to go over to the dark side. Again thanks for all of you replies.

Posting Permissions