1.    #1  
    I have seen quite a few posts about standalone GPS, but nothing really recent about using it with maps from Garmin etc. I had a Samsung epix that I could use with Google maps and GPS. But given the memory size of the Pre Plus has anyone had any success modding it or am I better off just buying a standalone unit?
    I personally think it is crazy to use a phone for a GPS. I've been messing around with VZ Navigator, and it is missing so many features that are standard on any decent GPS. I prefer to have my Garmin sitting on the dashboard, and my phone available for calls... and not sitting in the sun.

That's my opinion.

There are threads around here that are discussing an open source GPS solution, and ebags33 has a patch that improves the performance of the verizon GPS. I have been using the GPS Wrestler app and that has been effective.

But I use my Garmin. The lack of features I've seen on cell phone gps apps is amazing. Notable exceptions are the TomTom and Garmin versions that run on some phones... they aren't quite so bad.

Bottom line: You can pay Verizon $240 over the life of your contract, or you can get a fantastic Garmin Nuvi with lifetime traffic, bluetooth, etc. for less than $200. Guess which path I chose...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I personally think it is crazy to use a phone for a GPS. I've been messing around with VZ Navigator, and it is missing so many features that are standard on any decent GPS. I prefer to have my Garmin sitting on the dashboard, and my phone available for calls... and not sitting in the sun.

That's my opinion.

There are threads around here that are discussing an open source GPS solution, and ebags33 has a patch that improves the performance of the verizon GPS. I have been using the GPS Wrestler app and that has been effective.

But I use my Garmin. The lack of features I've seen on cell phone gps apps is amazing. Notable exceptions are the TomTom and Garmin versions that run on some phones... they aren't quite so bad.

Bottom line: You can pay Verizon $240 over the life of your contract, or you can get a fantastic Garmin Nuvi with lifetime traffic, bluetooth, etc. for less than $200. Guess which path I chose...
    I was comparing the size of the screen of the Garmin Oregon 450 series and the Pre looked to be actually bigger. The different sales people seemed to to think that there were some open source maps that could be downloaded to any memory card of 2 to 4 gig. As much as I would like to have converged I wondered what the point of having a GPS built in device if it really does have to wait on ATT network. Yellowstone was pretty awful last year and that was just on the roadway.
    get the garmin. another reason is that the gps radio drains the battery and generates heat in the Pre more than any other radio... not a good thing if you are off road
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    What is THE best stand alone GPS device WITH live up to the minute traffic?
    this is one of the main reasons why I enjoy using google maps on my pre plus. I always check the traffic/congestion on the main roads I plan to use before taking them.

If I'm stuck in traffic, I can load the traffic map built into google maps and figure out how far ahead the accident or issue is and if it's long enough, I'll detour elsewhere.

Yet another reason why I'm still waiting for Verizon to fix GPS. Sure, garmin offers this, but you have to pay for traffic updates. In addition, it's nice to be able to be anywhere and pull this up. I'm not carrying my garmin with me everywhere I travel, and I travel quite a bit.
    I was also wondering about if there was a stand-alone map GPS option out there?
    Anything with basic features that could operate without needing to be connected to a network after install?
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkitty View Post
    What is THE best stand alone GPS device WITH live up to the minute traffic?

Anyone?
    Ebag333 gives instructions right here. You can seriously damage your Pre if you dont follow the instructions. It gives you a guide to enable various modes in your GPS.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html
    Last edited by Jason Black; 07/17/2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Wrong name