Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    My launch day Pre seems to be shedding! The clear plastic coating is lifting off. It looks like little scratches at first but now I can actually chip it off. I have a touchstone back so no problem there just on and around the screen! I do not use anything to clean it other than a tissue.

Anybody else have this problem?
    Negative.
    Negative on my launch day Pre.

Been on a TS charger since day one.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 07/06/2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: update
    I had it with my launch day Pre. You can sand and polish it if you have the knack. I used to do antique fountain pen repair of all things, and they are mostly made of old style plastics. People would buy really nice pens then scratch them or chew them up like they do BIC's of today.

For this, I would recommend starting with the finest grain, or second finest grain, wet/dry sand paper you can find, that us used for sanding models (model or hobby shops or even Walmart can supply you). Sand it until it is smooth and has that grayish, matte finish that is caused by sanding. Do this lightly and only for a minute or so tops. It should even out very quickly. Then use a product called Simichrome, which comes in a little, yellow and red, metal toothpast tube. It's a chrome polish used on cars, and can be found at home depot (incredibly, auto supply stores don't carry it). Use a small amount on a soft cloth and polish in tiny, circular motions until the area looks like you've removed most or all of the sanding scratches. Then wipe with a clean cloth and it should look pretty close to brand new. If you want to go an extra step, use Maguiar's plastic polish, which can be found at home depot or an auto parts store. It's a very light weight, mildly abrasive polish, good for removing very fine scratches. It also doubles as a light protect-ant against scratching (I use it on the crystals of my swatch watches).

I have done this with easy success, but you must take time, work slowly, in small motions and be patient. ALSO... don't do this directly on the screen.

Good luck!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Thank Pelikan3, I probably would have gone your route if my Sprint Store tirade failed but they decided to replace it because it is a manufacturers defect. ( My Argument).

At first they wouldn't help and even had three individuals try to dissuade me. Got to the Manager who originally said "No way" but after some conversation, he agreed to replace it.

Should have it in a couple of days.
    lets see a pic of what it looks like!
    no problems like that here. Then again I have had invisishields and a hard case on for most of the 9 months. When I take them off this thing still looks brand new.
    No,and i bet the doctor has no cure either.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    lets see a pic of what it looks like!
    ............stand by
    mine is flaking on the ball (sprint pre) and the earpiece thing on the top.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    sorry for the crappy pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    another ...........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    wow that looks really messed up. from here it looks like the whole plastic is cracked
    Holy crap! Could you possibly take it to Sprint?
    probably caused from the heat of the touchstone. They are discontinuing them for a reason, excessive heat is my guess
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    probably caused from the heat of the touchstone. They are discontinuing them for a reason, excessive heat is my guess
    Wha?
    take care of ur stuff -_-
    The clear finish has rubbed off from the upper left corner of my device (is now a dull flat plastic look), but not nearly as bad as what is pictured.
    I had this issue on a much smaller scale. Mine was caused by a drop... well, two separate drops. Both top corners cracked (small ones) and one recently broke off so its a small chip now.
    ~Jhoove09
    Sprint|Palm Pre
    AT&T|Palm Pre 2
    Quit trolling and go buy an Android.
    My Twitter Account
    My Themes

Feel free to AIM or SKYPE me.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    It started real small and very faint on the actual screen. Looked like a few wrinkles but very faint. Then one corner started peeling and then the other. I have dropped it once or twice but there were no marks or anything. The funny thing is it is just the pastic coating coming off nothing is cracked!

Heat might be the cause as one day at the beach my wife had it in her bag and when I pulled it out it was ALOt worse. Perhaps humidity got it started and it just took off from there.

I went to sprint and informed them that it was an obvious manufacturing defect. At first they didnt want to hear me and really tried to dissuade me but when I go hold of the manager he says to me he thought the screen protector was what was flaking. When I told him there wasnt one on it, he apologized and is having it replaced.

I take very good care of my phones. This had nothing to do with me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast