Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I love the facebook integration (nearly as good as HTC Sense in both WinMo and Android), but I really have no need for all of my fb contacts showing up in my contacts. Is there a way to only sync fb info for existing contacts, delete some fb contacts, or at least hide them?
  2. #2  
    u cant delete facebook cantacts.
  3. #3  
    I believe it's an all or nothing proposition at the moment. You can remove the Facebook account from your Contacts app (and Calendar) and they won't show up there at all. You can still access the Facebook app, but not get the Contacts that way.
  4. #4  
    Sorry! Not at this time but we're working on it.

    Thanks for asking!

    Cheers..
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Sorry! Not at this time but we're working on it.

    Thanks for asking!

    Cheers..
    Who is?
  6. #6  
    why does it really matter,does anyone actually open the the contacts app for any reason. You don't need to open it to add a contact,u don't need to open it to find a contact. To me it does not matter if all 200 of my fb friends are in there,i never open it for anything.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    why does it really matter,does anyone actually open the the contacts app for any reason. You don't need to open it to add a contact,u don't need to open it to find a contact. To me it does not matter if all 200 of my fb friends are in there,i never open it for anything.
    This thread is not about you not minding all your fb friends are there.
    It's about someone else minding theirs are there.
  8. #8  
    This is a common question on the forum, and is usually from folks new to the Pre. Here's the scoop on it.

    The Pre's contact list isn't an address book, it's a contact list, and it combines all of the contact accounts to which you give it access. It doesn't "pick and choose" (with one very small exception) except on its own internal profile. It's not only Facebook issue, but all of the external accounts you sync with are "all or nothing".

    There is one exception to this. Google accounts automatically harvest the email of every email address from every email you receive. Palm finally realized how impractical this was, and changed so that instead of "all contact" on Google, it synced with "My Contacts", which the user is able to control.

    I suspect they were able to do this because "My Contacts" exists for all Google Accounts holders. There is no such standard minimal system in Facebook. Palm would have to expand the capabilities of the app to let you choose which group you wanted. Think how how they would have to expand that with every new account type they added to their "synergy" capabilities. Even now, that would be something of a logistical nightmare - they would need filtering capabilities for FB, Linkedin, AOL, and Yahoo (right off the top of my head), plus they'd need to expand it each time they added another account type.

    Instead, they count on us using Universal Search. I basically ignore the 200 or so FB entries in the contact list, and look for folks I want by typing their name without calling up the contact progrmam. The only time I use the contact program is when I need to edit someone's information.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/06/2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Mistyped account, the censor likes having that "o"...
  9. #9  
    Can I have one of those ac**** types?
    Sounds interesting.
  10. #10  
    If only "groups" worked, like with the Treo or the Palm Pilot. Then it wouldn't matter that there were hundreds of irrelvant names in my address book, I could still type "utility" and get one page of all the addresses for plumbers and doctors and stuff that's short enough to scroll through to find the guy I want.

    It's a real pain to have to remember the NAME of every contact. Sheesh, if universal search included the other fields, I could populate them with useful stuff like "electrician".

    Anyhow, that's why I don't like the Facebook thing, and I think there are better ways to fix it than by removing all the stray Facebook friends. I just wish someone would implement those better ways.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    This thread is not about you not minding all your fb friends are there.
    It's about someone else minding theirs are there.
    o man,,lighting up,thought maybe,just maybe,if they read my post,or another like it,they might say ,'wow that's right,ill check that out'.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    If only "groups" worked, like with the Treo or the Palm Pilot. Then it wouldn't matter that there were hundreds of irrelvant names in my address book, I could still type "utility" and get one page of all the addresses for plumbers and doctors and stuff that's short enough to scroll through to find the guy I want.

    It's a real pain to have to remember the NAME of every contact. Sheesh, if universal search included the other fields, I could populate them with useful stuff like "electrician".

    Anyhow, that's why I don't like the Facebook thing, and I think there are better ways to fix it than by removing all the stray Facebook friends. I just wish someone would implement those better ways.
    You can still have a sort of Quasi-form of Groups... by Using the Nickname field found in Contacts (at the bottom of every contact)... than use Uni Search for that Nickname... so for all your Doctors just put Doctors as the Nickname
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    o man,,lighting up,thought maybe,just maybe,if they read my post,or another like it,they might say ,'wow that's right,ill check that out'.
    <ignored>
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    If only "groups" worked, like with the Treo or the Palm Pilot. Then it wouldn't matter that there were hundreds of irrelvant names in my address book, I could still type "utility" and get one page of all the addresses for plumbers and doctors and stuff that's short enough to scroll through to find the guy I want.

    It's a real pain to have to remember the NAME of every contact. Sheesh, if universal search included the other fields, I could populate them with useful stuff like "electrician".

    Anyhow, that's why I don't like the Facebook thing, and I think there are better ways to fix it than by removing all the stray Facebook friends. I just wish someone would implement those better ways.
    There is a way to have the same functionality on the Pre.

    Add another contact listing (in the Palm Profile, so it doesn't sync anywhere) with the plumber's name, and add "Utility" as either the company name, or the nickname (pick one or the other for everyone, so you're consistent). Then link that new contact with the old name.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You can still have a sort of Quasi-form of Groups... by Using the Nickname field found in Contacts (at the bottom of every contact)... than use Uni Search for that Nickname... so for all your Doctors just put Doctors as the Nickname
    That'll work, but you're limited to one nickname per contact. If you create a new contact for the "group" name, you can have one user in multiple quasi-groups. Comes in handy for those doctors that are plumbers.
  16. #16  
    get super contacts plus, and you can set up individual groups of contacts, and name each group what you want.. Best dollar I ever spent

Posting Permissions