webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > TouchStone VS. Wall Charger/Which is Faster?
TouchStone VS. Wall Charger/Which is Faster?

Old 07/05/2010, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Last night my battery was getting low & I had 10 mins before I left the house (to watch fireworks!). So, I threw my Pre on the Touchstone & scored about a 10% increase in the battery. But was wondering, does the phone charge faster if plugged into the the AC adapter & straight to the power outlet?

Just wonderin'.....

Last edited by sherryterry1; 07/05/2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling
sherryterry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 08:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ya. I would also like to know this

Follow me on Twitter!
mfaye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Official documentation says the Touchstone is just as fast. Anecdotal evidence suggests USB charging may be slightly faster, but I haven't seen any comparisons posted here.
cas_esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I haven't done any actually testing of this but I have noticed that when my phone is on the wall charger it gains more charge than laying it on the Touchstone. So I usually plug it in if I'm going somewhere and if I'm just hanging out at the house I'll have it on the touchstone throughout the day.
Stevesrjr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think all of us "forget" at times to put the phone on the TS & then realize we have to scoot out the door & won't have power access...so I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering...
Old 07/05/2010, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
I haven't done any actually testing of this but I have noticed that when my phone is on the wall charger it gains more charge than laying it on the Touchstone. So I usually plug it in if I'm going somewhere and if I'm just hanging out at the house I'll have it on the touchstone throughout the day.
Same here. Faster on the wall charger. Even tho I haven't time it, but it seem to get more power.
wikddrmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have used the battery monitor while charge on TS and USB. It's the same, about 48% per hour (standard battery).
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

I always heard that Touchstone was slower at charging, but never looked into it. Make sure if you are charging via USB that the cord is hooked into a wall outlet and not the computer.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

The TS just causes things to heat up quicker, other than that, same charge rate.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

If anyone is also wondering about charging via computer... I know for a fact-that's the slowest. I believe charging using touchstone or wall charger are almost the same. Maybe a little more/less.
Cheers!
RUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

ya computer is slowset the othet two seem about even
rexalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
webOS Enthusiast

Makes sense. USB cannot pull the same 1 amp as a wall outlet.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 11:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

wall imo .
gangland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 11:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
I always heard that Touchstone was slower at charging, but never looked into it. Make sure if you are charging via USB that the cord is hooked into a wall outlet and not the computer.
I never charge via the USB/Computer, always TS or via a power outlet/Pre AC adapter. (and occ. the car charger..)

Thanx for the comments thus far....confirms my suspicions, power via the wall outlet seems to be faster....
Old 07/05/2010, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

For me, the wall charger is faster than the touchstone. Not by much, but it is faster.
acidhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
...does the phone charge faster if plugged into the the AC adapter & straight to the power outlet?
The cable is faster. On long road trips, with GPS navigation and Pandora running, the charge rate is very slow. We plug directly into the phone otherwise one phone would die before the other was fully charged.

-Jay
jayhajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

I had a lot of unplanned testing over the last 5 days, and this is what I found:

Direct charge from wall into port was fastest and generated less heat. Touchstone was probably close, I would estimate about 80 to 85% charge rate when compared to the 'direct from wall'. I was using my pre+ (VZW) as a mobile hotspot. I had up to 3 devices sharing at one time. I would get the high temp warning (yes, there is a patch to allow the high temp warning, it isn't stock) pretty quick. I was sitting on a back porch in the shade, and the ambient air temp was about 80 to 83 degrees, and it would overheat on the touch stone pretty quick. So I went to direct from the wall (DFW), and it would last a little longer before the warning, and the charge % would actually go up whereas it seemed to stay steady on the TS.

But as the day grew warmer, even the DFW would hit the hot alarm. So, I got a freezer pack out of the freezer and put a paper towel between it and my Pre...kept it cool enough! Later, it got too warm to stay out on the deck so I came in and set my pre on the TS and set the TS on a floor air register, so the cool air from the A/C in the house kept it cool.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

My numbers are from using the "Battery Moniter" app.

Touchstone and USB Wall charger are both right around 50% per hour. USB from computer around 40% per hour. And best is my iGo charger in my car, it does about 62% per hour (but using it always gives me heat warnings).

I really wishes there was a way to determine what amperage the chargers were putting out, I would love to know what my iGo does.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 06:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Wall charger is faster, TS was mainly established as a kewl cosmetic alternative
Leke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/05/2010, 06:47 PM   #20 (permalink)

TS just as fast as wall charger, I can have both Pandora and the Nav app running while driving and my TS keeps my Pre at 100%. Very efficient way to charge my Pre and I don't have to deal with cable thingy.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0