1.    #1  
    So at the last minute yesterday I decided to run out to the beach house for the 4th. Husband had to work late night shift, so I would be alone and bored anyway. A friend who recently moved to Tampa also had no plans so we decided to grab up our dogs, and meet at my beach house.

We get out here, a pandemonium of 4 Golden Retrievers, getting to know each other, when I go to set up my laptop, and get my air card set up on my cradle point router so we would have our internet access, it dawns on , that OH NO! I forgot to grab my little pouch of electronics that I always take with me when I go away. IN that pouch is my air card.. DRAT!

I remembered I had Mobile Hotspot on my Pre, turn in on, worked like a charm.

My laptop sees it, connects, my friends laptop sees it , connects, we are IN BUSINESS!

The connection is not blazing, but it IS useable.

My friend, not as tech aware as I am was amazed. She had never seen or heard of a cell phone that you could connect a laptop to, and have instant wifi. She was very impressed, hehehe thinks Im a genious.

NOW if they could only make a patch to STOP the freaking RAIN out here..

We did get about 2 hours of beach time yesterday, between the deluge..

But YAY for PRE and Mobile Hotspot...

So once again, THANKS Homebrew/Patch community for making access to this possible
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Same here. We're on vacation and don't know the password for the wifi at the condo. Everyone is using my pre for internet and all is good. Our friends are connecting to my pre with their ipads. Not crazy fast but we have internet and we would have nothing without mobile hotspot.
  3.    #3  
    it really is pretty amazingly cool to share a cell phone for internet connection

How many are sharing your connection? Just 2 here for now.. but its all good

whooohoooo for Pre and MHS!!
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Mobile Hotspot trumps every other feature on other phones...It absolutely ROCKS!!!
  5.    #5  
    True Dat!!!!

I Pre

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    My wife was trying to figure out how she could get internet at her upcoming family reunion in August, on the Jersey Shore. I spent about 5 min explaining that she could use my phone with her laptop, and didn't need a cable or anything. I think I must have been explaining it badly.. she ended up more confused, and simply accepted that it would work. (hehe)
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
    Mobile Hotspot trumps every other feature on other phones...It absolutely ROCKS!!!
    Other platforms have this ability as well.. But yeah, it is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    But YAY for PRE and Mobile Hotspot...
    Weren't you (along with me) one of the ones who could never get MyTether to work properly?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  9.    #9  
    That IS correct jjeffcoat , dissapointing that paying for something that only worked early on, and was never supported properly again by who made it availabe by donation only.

So, when moving to Mobile Hotspot, I was amazed at how WELL and easily it worked FIRST time right from the get go.

(Here is the link with all the info about how to do it)

http://tinyurl.com/mhs-howto

(let me know if you need the 2 files needed to accomplish this, I am a software pack rat and save EVERYTHING)
    Last edited by dianehelen; 07/05/2010 at 03:19 PM.

I Pre

@dianehelen
    I also have made the move to MHS and it has been working fairly consistently.

I'm considering the $15 I "donated" to moronic to be my own "stupid tax".
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Sometimes I travel via train and use it there. I leave it open, so others can use my connection too. And guess what, there is always traffic on my connection from foreigners.
    Don't know what they think, if I am dumb to forget saving my connection or what...but it's fun. And it's even more fun if I quit the connection and they loose theirs too, you have to see the faces
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I love the way the phone simultaneously vibrates and rings when the computer connects to the phone. You feel that Santa Claus has arrived.
    My sister and I were vacationing with our netbooks. She texted me from the 2nd floor and asked if she could connect. I turned on the hotspot in my pocket from the 1st floor and got a text from her 'Thanks'. It was so 21st century.
    We were out of town over the long weekend and I wanted to check the weather forecast. The hotel we stayed at had free wifi, but since I'm a bit paranoid about public wifi I pulled out my Pre instead. Needless to say, I was soon making plans to enjoy the mild weather in the day ahead.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    The best part about MHS, (my|free)tether, and like solutions (personally I prefer bluetooth PAN), is the empowering feeling of going from a WiFi beggar to having access anywhere your cell phone works.
    Palm Pilot -> IBM WorkPad -> Handspring Visor -> Palm VIIx -> Palm T|X -> Palm Pre -> US GSM Palm Pre 2 [shelved] and 16GB HP TouchPad [died] -> (Samsung GNex and 32GB HP Touchpad with CM9)
    MHS is amazing. I am in Canada on bell though, and sorta jimmied it onto my phone, and we only have 500mb of data, so I am a little wary about using it so freely, but it really comes in handy in a pinch!
    The water was cold so I came back <3
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    My Pre didn't save the day, but it made it more interesting. Was at a friend's house last night and the topic of cell phones came up. Smart and dumb phones represented in the room, including a couple of Android phones, but I had the only Pre. When I told the room that I had a Pre, only one person of the five in the room had heard of it (not good), but that one person knew about the Mobile Hot Spot and asked me if I had it. A few months ago, when he was in the market for a new phone, he would have gotten the Pre Plus, but Verizon was charging $40/month, so instead he bought a Droid and rooted it to tether his laptop on the road. I told him that the MHS was now free on Verizon and he asked me if I'd demonstrate it. I couple of swipes and a tap later, I had the hotspot up and running, gave him the password, heard that little Pre sound, and he was surfing the Net on his Droid, using my hot spot.

My Pre Plus didn't save the day, but for a few minutes it was the most popular phone in the room.

JD
    defenetly have to try this!!
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    It's awesome, but my phone overheats every time I use it. :-(
    Comcast decided to be themselves and reset the internet in my parents' apartment, and because any connection to WiFi led to the "Contact Comcast" splash page, I whipped out the Pre Plus, turned on Mobile Hotspot, and presto! Decent speed, enough to even watch YouTube, was available to me. Thanks Palm/VZW!