1.    #1  
    hello all. i just joined this forum. first post.
    i am a 15+ yr palm devotee, currently trying unsuccessfully to hold onto my 755p (touchscreen dying)

i want to want a pre plus, and am considering buying it this wk.

questions:
    1. how does the os5 emulator function? specifically, i have an OLD memopad replacement program that i still use daily, called HiNote, that functions with a palm prc program and a palm db file. in general, do db-dependent apps work on the emulator?

2. if my HiNote program doesnt work on the emulator (i know noone can guarantee me it will), does anyone know how to get my palm memopad data into the preplus? can i export my palm memopad to a text file? (the HiNote program has functionality to "export" to the native palm memopad.)

3. is there anyone on this forum who owns a pre plus, who now wishes they got something else-- why? ?android incredible, blackberry bold, other? (i live in an bad ATT coverage town, so iphone is not an option)

thanks in advance.
    1. I just tried out Classic Emulator (Palm OS) on my newly acquired Pre. Besides being a little difficult to tap certain links (using finger now instead of stylus), It seems to work great! I wanted it for a WeightWatchers program that I used to use on my old palm... It utilizes pdb files as a food database for restaurants and food types. Works just as well as it always has. There is a free trial for 7-days, then its $29.99 for the emulator, which I will be buying!

2.Not sure on this one, but hopefully it wont matter if Classic works...

3. I just got mine, so I was looking at other phones too (Android phones, etc...). The ONLY two things that I have been disappointed in is the microphone placement (people say I sound muffled when I hold it like I held my blackberry) and build quality (it feels like its gonna break!). I got a case to eliminate the problem of build quality, but the mic is taking some getting used to. Am I still glad I got the Pre? Yes. Have any Android envy? Not really.

Hope that helps!
    if you can get it into the palm memo pad, the third party sync product generally have a note program to sync with. Or you can export on your pc to a text format...
    also a forever palm user from the beginning. Despite current shortcomings, the pre feels more like a palm device than anything else I've tried, and I haven't looked back!
    First let me welcome you to the pre|central forum. Since you are considering the Pre Plus and do not have good AT&T coverage, I assume you are going with Verizon. I have Verizon and am willing to live with the high price and the crippled GPS because of the excellent coverage and tech support. I also came from a Treo 755P to the Palm Pre Plus and couldn’t be happier. I love the phone and the ability to use patches to customize it to fit my personal needs. I was amazed at how my contacts, calendar, email and notes from PalmOS ported over to the Pre Plus with out any problem. I did open a gmail account before getting the Pre Plus just to be sure I had a backup email and calendar.
    I am not familiar with HiNote but all of my notes from my 755P came over to the notes app in the Pre Plus. I didn’t like the post-it notes look of the native notes application so I loaded an application called ClassicNote and cut and pasted my notes to it. I assume you will be able to cut and paste your notes from a text file into the Pre Plus notes application.
    I used the free version of the Classic emulator for a couple of weeks but never bothered to upgrade to the paid version because there was nothing on PalmOS that I could not do without. I even practiced using my 755P without the stiles for several weeks to get use to using the apps in classic on my new Pre Plus but found out the light touch af the capacitance screen and the press of the resistive screen was a total different experience.
    I have to say that the Pre Plus is the most intuitive and powerful Smartphone or PDA that I have ever owned. I hope you enjoy the experience as much as I did.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6.    #6  
    @Workerb33
    what is the 3rd party sync product?

also, does anyone use mac as their laptop/desktop? seems like i will need "missing sync" for mac. what are folks' experience with this program?
  7.    #7  
    thanks not-yet-pre! super helpful and confidence building.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteabo View Post
    @Workerb33
    what is the 3rd party sync product?

also, does anyone use mac as their laptop/desktop? seems like i will need "missing sync" for mac. what are folks' experience with this program?
    personally I use pocket mirror because I am using outlook.

if you are on a mac, I think missing sync is your only option. Not sure.

even though I don't really like outlook, it easier to get supported by 3rd party apps than palm desktop. Now might be the time to switch. Just install outlook sync for your treo, and sync - and you are all set.
  9.    #9  
    does anyone out there use missing sync on mac for the pre? opinions? thx in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_rsp View Post
    The ONLY two things that I have been disappointed in is the microphone placement (people say I sound muffled when I hold it like I held my blackberry)
    Hold the phone more away from your cheek. I think we need a graphic to explain the proper and inproper ways to hold the phone while talking.

When I use it, only the ear piece is touching me.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  11.    #11  
    good to know.
    Hold the phone more away from your cheek. I think we need a graphic to explain the proper and inproper ways to hold the phone while talking.
    We could always go the apple way and tell them "You're holding it wrong"
    I don't know why att gets so much bad press about their network. I've never had a problem with att ever. I live in st. louis, MO. I get 3G everywhere I go with little to no dropped calls and I can surf and talk. The only thing that I hate about my palm pre on att is not having a cheap gps solution, slingbox player, kinoma or native olivetree biblereader app. other than missing those apps it's the best phone I've ever used. Not having voice dial kinda sucks too though.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by treogangsta View Post
    I don't know why att gets so much bad press about their network. I've never had a problem with att ever. I live in st. louis, MO. I get 3G everywhere I go with little to no dropped calls and I can surf and talk. The only thing that I hate about my palm pre on att is not having a cheap gps solution, slingbox player, kinoma or native olivetree biblereader app. other than missing those apps it's the best phone I've ever used. Not having voice dial kinda sucks too though.
    i imagine the only relevant comparison is community by community. where i am, it is so dramatic that its not debated-- verizon / sprint >>> att, coverage-wise.