1.    #1  
    Okay, so I'm new to Preware and I've been messing around with patches and themes on my Pre. I just was curious about a few things. I know that I have to uninstall before reinstalling a theme or my phone could malfunction. So if a new update comes out, how do you handle patches and themes? Do I have to remove patches and themes before installing the new update? Also, what are the risks to my phone if any of installing patches and themes? Sorry for so many questions, and I probably should have asked them before customizing my Pre. Thanks!!!
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...recentral.html

I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Here is how to find almost anything at PreCentral...

Say you want to find the "Preware" thread. So you click Search at the top menu and type "Preware". There are thousands of threads that mention "Preware" so that is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Here is the trick.
    1. Click Search at the top menu but this time click Advanced Search.
    2. We want a thread with "Preware" in the title so type "Preware" in as your KEYWORD.
    3. Click the drop-down arrow just below and click "Search Titles Only" and click Search Now.

Now the "Preware" thread is near the top of the search results.

Advanced Search also lets you search for posts or threads by a certain user and in certain forums.

If anyone is having trouble finding something, please post it here so that others can help you.

- Craig

For more general tips like this, please see the PreCentral Getting Started Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmanhulk View Post
    Okay, so I'm new to Preware and I've been messing around with patches and themes on my Pre. I just was curious about a few things. I know that I have to uninstall before reinstalling a theme or my phone could malfunction. So if a new update comes out, how do you handle patches and themes? Do I have to remove patches and themes before installing the new update? Also, what are the risks to my phone if any of installing patches and themes? Sorry for so many questions, and I probably should have asked them before customizing my Pre. Thanks!!!
    Welcome to PreCentral.

Here is a long thread that discusses your issues:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2400017

The short answer is: remove the theme, leave the patches (assuming they are AUPT-compliant).
    As bevcraw says above and you might also want to see the following thread to understand what AUPT is: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...highlight=aupt
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. So how does one go about acquiring AUPT?
  6.    #6  
    Forget it...I'll use the Search function again...lol
    patches from preware come w/ aupt. You just have to check if theyr up to date with the emergency file verification patch. If anything comes up red in the ipk log from that you should remove it before update. Always remove themes...
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    welcome to P/C (PreCentral). No stupid questions here. Just make sure to do a search before posting and you'll be fine. Lots of stuff to learn and try out. Enjoy Beastmanhulk !
    Thanks for the replies. So how does one go about acquiring AUPT?
    AUPT is a built in feature of all patches from Preware, you do not have to do anything to get it
  10.    #10  
    THANKS EVERYONE!!! Very helpful forum and very noob friendly. I will check the search function before asking any questions
    THANKS EVERYONE!!! Very helpful forum and very noob friendly. I will check the search function before asking any questions
    Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere. The fact that you've found and installed patches means you are in the top 10% of webOS users (my estimate) and are enjoying the real power of webOS
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I use the search function and I've been on these forums since september, but sometimes it takes alot of digging to find the answers I need. I don't think anyone should be slagged for asking questions sometimes time is limited and just asking is quicker. If you don't want to help someone use the search function to find another post to read. Just my take on it...
    I agree. I suggest you put your question or topic in the title to make it search friendly for those that come after you.

and you are right, this is a friendly place. Almost too friendly.