1.    #1  
    I converted a movie to mp4 using Nero Recode. I cropped and resized it to 480x320 and it plays fine...until a high action scene. During the action the image becomes pixelated. Once the action is done, the image is perfect again.

I might try a 2 pass process instead of 1 pass, but testing the 1 pass on the PC doesn't show the pixelation that the Pre Plus does. So is this just something that the Pre Plus can't handle or is there a Nero Recode setting that I could try to fix it?

Thanks!

BTW....watching movies on the Pre Plus is fun until my arm gets cramped holding the phone. LOL
    Maybe your PC is doing some post processing operations while playing and the Pre can't do them
    Same problem happened to me shooting pelicans flying around in close proximity. Don't its problem with Nero, I may have been shooting video right after previous video, still processing prior video. Bottom line I couldn't fix.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwerner View Post
    I converted a movie to mp4 using Nero Recode. I cropped and resized it to 480x320 and it plays fine...until a high action scene. During the action the image becomes pixelated. Once the action is done, the image is perfect again.

I might try a 2 pass process instead of 1 pass, but testing the 1 pass on the PC doesn't show the pixelation that the Pre Plus does. So is this just something that the Pre Plus can't handle or is there a Nero Recode setting that I could try to fix it?

Thanks!

BTW....watching movies on the Pre Plus is fun until my arm gets cramped holding the phone. LOL
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    How does the re-coded movie play on your computer? The pixelation could be in the movie file itself due to the bitrate, more action needs more bits because more stuff is changing from frame to frame...
    pixelation is generally a function of how the video is encoded. What is your original frame size and bit rate?

and what format is the original in??
  6.    #6  
    Playback on the PC shows no pixelation, both with 1 pass and 2 pass recoding. The original file is a VOB straight from the original disc, no compression. It is a letterbox movie that I reformat in Nero to fit the Pre screen exactly. I crop it in Nero and I resize it to 480x320.

I haven't loaded the 2 pass version on the Pre yet, but I have my doubts that it will make a difference. I'll see if I can load it up today.
  7.    #7  
    I should add that I have the file size at 750mb. Nero originally wants to make it around 1500mb in size. Maybe at the larger size the bitrate and higher quality would solve the pizelation issue?

Quote Originally Posted by rcwerner View Post
    Playback on the PC shows no pixelation, both with 1 pass and 2 pass recoding. The original file is a VOB straight from the original disc, no compression. It is a letterbox movie that I reformat in Nero to fit the Pre screen exactly. I crop it in Nero and I resize it to 480x320.

I haven't loaded the 2 pass version on the Pre yet, but I have my doubts that it will make a difference. I'll see if I can load it up today.
    Higher bitrate will mean higher quality (esp. in moving scenes). Of course, there is a tradeoff-- video size.

I have found that Handbrake set to the iPhone preset does great with size and quality. It'
    s a free program: HandBrake
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    Higher bitrate will mean higher quality (esp. in moving scenes). Of course, there is a tradeoff-- video size.

I have found that Handbrake set to the iPhone preset does great with size and quality. It'
    s a free program: HandBrake
    Totally agree - you beat me to saying it I use HandBrake for converting and as long as I choose the iPhone setting, I haven't had a single occurrence of of artifacting or pixilization. But is isn't only up to HandBrake to make a good conversion... you have to have a good initial copy to convert. I use DVDShrink to strip the original DRM info and if I don't set this correctly (shrink the file too much) I will get those problems the OP complained about.
    +1 for handbrake to iphone settings.