Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    for all the battery complaints, tell me someone who owns a smartphone other than a blackberry who doesn't carry a charger, or have a car charger,or a spare battery or two around??? Gimme a break. Atleast with the palm phones, unlike that fruit phone, you can change the battery. Smartphones use data, and battery tech has not kept up with the times. I easily get through a 12 are workday with my 1400 mah Mugen battery. So while the palm phones don't use the battery optimally out of the box, if you know what you're doing the battery issue should become an afterthought.
    Sitting on my desk right now, left to right: Droid A855, iPhone 4, Bold 9650, Pre Plus, Droid X.

If I charge each overnight, the Pre is the first to go, every time, without fail.

I'm not saying it needs to last a week like an old flip ... I'm just saying it is the worst battery life I've ever had on any device I've owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    lock up? Never had that happen to any of my webos phones.

andriod is just easier to use??? Wow, personally I would rather have wimo over andriod, but luckily webos is available and will be for years to come.

I have a 'few' friends that are employees of verizon, they get a higher spiff/rip/ bonus (commisson) for android devices.
    coming from a current evo user, former pre owner, i can say the pre is much easier to use, thats whats so great about webos. palm just needs to pull their act together and release a powerful device and people like myself would consider returning to webos.
    are you comparing palm's measly out of the box 1100 battery to the other devices' who have atleast 1500 mah?
    that's not a fair comparison.

I don't know what you are doing, nor do I own the other devices you mention.

I DO know that my phone comes off the charger at 6 am, I surf the web a total of about an hour a day, have three email accounts polling every hour, check epocrates at work, check twitter and fb a few times a day, listen to podcasts to work, and check out the app catalog a 2-3 times daily,speak to my wife for about 30 minutes, and text about 10 times. With that, by 6 pm, I have anywhere from 30 to 50% battery left. Phone then goes on touch stone on the drive home.

How much more from my battery can I request? That's way more than enough.

So perhaps your battery is defective, or you don't have the phone's settings optimized to make the battery last longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    are you comparing palm's measly out of the box 1100 battery to the other devices' who have atleast 1500 mah?
    that's not a fair comparison.

I don't know what you are doing, nor do I own the other devices you mention.

I DO know that my phone comes off the charger at 6 am, I surf the web a total of about an hour a day, have three email accounts polling every hour, check epocrates at work, check twitter and fb a few times a day, listen to podcasts to work, and check out the app catalog a 2-3 times daily,speak to my wife for about 30 minutes, and text about 10 times. With that, by 6 pm, I have anywhere from 30 to 50% battery left. Phone then goes on touch stone on the drive home.

How much more from my battery can I request? That's way more than enough.

So perhaps your battery is defective, or you don't have the phone's settings optimized to make the battery last longer.
    Yes, I am comparing standard, included batteries because that's all the average user will ever see. The types of people who buy smartphones these days compare cost before they compare OS & features and if they are told that they have to buy a bigger capacity battery online from a website they've never heard of, they'll move on to something else.

I load probably about 50-60 websites daily, consistently refresh Facebook/Twitter, do about a few thousand sms monthly, probably about 40 minutes of calls daily, and have my email set to 'as they arrive.' I know I push it at a decent clip, but this is how I use my phone and other devices included, in-box batteries are better equipped to handle this workload.

Like I said, I love my phone's design and OS, but the battery is just not as strong. It's not a dealbreaker to me ... but I've seen a LOT of returns from people for which it is.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    This is why UberKernel, 102, 104, and now 105 are so popular, because they improve performance while helping increase battery life(reducing speed/voltage while the screen is off to save on battery life). I find the 105 kernel at 1005MHz to give me better battery life during NORMAL usage than the stock kernel. I don't play games on my phone as a part of my normal work day, which DOES draw more battery life at 1005MHz, so I save that for when I am at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    This is why UberKernel, 102, 104, and now 105 are so popular, because they improve performance while helping increase battery life(reducing speed/voltage while the screen is off to save on battery life). I find the 105 kernel at 1005MHz to give me better battery life during NORMAL usage than the stock kernel. I don't play games on my phone as a part of my normal work day, which DOES draw more battery life at 1005MHz, so I save that for when I am at home.
    Again, we're talking average, every day users who look to sales people for answers. Clearly you, myself, or anyone else here for that matter is a step above that in terms of technical know-how.
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    No, I was responding to a question based on my friends and my own experiences with the Pre here. Generally when you sell a device that has a high fail rate and therefore high likelihood of being returned, the people returning the device for service are less than satisfied, and it's a bad experience for both the rep and the customer - does that seriously not make sense to you? Perhaps you should google the definition of the word complaint, it might help in instances such as this.

And no, I don't know what the return rates are at Verizon, but I know at Bell they are very high (for the Pre). Several different sales reps from several stores have pointed this out to me.
    Ahhh, just so we're clear then. Your statement about the "high rate of return" was not based on any real knowledge, no was your statement about employees wanting to devote time to selling rather than taking returns (since you don't even know if salespeople take the units back or the service department handles it).

I don't think I need to google anything. I think I understand perfectly. Thanks for clearing it up for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ... It didn't stop the bleeding at Sprint, and it didn't save Palm from a bad death...
    Sorry dude, you lost all credibility on this one. Palm's not dead, they're still in business. And yes, being "bought out" does not qualify as "dying". Not in the business world. Elevation Partners made a profit. The brand still lives, and this is not the first time the company was taken over by another (though I'm thinking it may be permenant this time).
    Quote Originally Posted by gtstang462002 View Post
    I agree. I am on my 5th Pre plus. And this one is not any better than the other 4. The "r" button randomly doesn't register and the "u" typically will double or triple type on me. The battery life is pure crap at best. I take the phone off the charger at 6 am. I am lucky if it will make it to noon most days. If using the phone as a mobile hotspot it will kill the battery even if the phone is on charge. I would not endorse this phone if it was the only smartphone option available from Verizon. I love the OS, but the OS alone doesn't make the phone.
    I'm curious, why would you not hook the phone up to the computer (to keep the phone charged) when using it as an MHS? Or course it burns through the battery fast when you're doing that, you're activing using both the WiFi and the wireless radio almost constantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    *sigh*

I'll repeat again....EVERY poll on EVERY tech site that made one on Pre build quality had the MAJORITY reporting in that they were still on their FIRST Pre with no issues. Yes, some folks seemed to have bad batches shipped to their region and can't catch a break, others not.

I know 17 Pres personally and only 2 have had hw issues and NONE of them have "oreo" (still have yet to see it in person).
    Different folks, different rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by jphoenix View Post
    I have a Verizon Pre, worst phone I have ever owned. They give you Palm support in the beginning, took me 3 weeks to get my exchange email working.

No one at Palm tech support had a clue and documentation is non-existent.

It hangs often, it turns to landscape orientation for no reason. It is absolute garbage and Palm support is among the worst I have ever seen period! in 20 years of owning a cell phone.

Pre support doesn't even know that the updates are automatically pushed to the phone after you reject them a certain number of times.

I wouldn't recommend a Palm Pre to anyone, am shopping ebay and used market for a replacement.

I am a verizon customer with a Pre, garbage phone, with absolutley no support backing it up even from the manufacturer.
    I call BS on this one. Palm's website has documentation, the phone has documentation built in (type HELP), and Palm has well documented that the updates will push. Someone sounds like they're over-exaggerating just a teeny tiny bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    who cares verizon doesn't care about what you think. You can't do nothin about it but come to the forums and talk how you been treated.. Pre failed in their eyes the phone suks you all no it to many returns... Stop playn in them ppl store were you lookin to buy a phone.
    In an effort to make your posts a bit more readable - Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com
    We upgraded to two Verizon Pre+ at the end of May. Mine was defective out of the box. It would crash randomly, or crash when jarred even in just he slightest way. Then when it'd reboot it'd reboot in silent mode, not good when you're in my line of work. I also had serious issues with the keyboard not working properly. I"m an avid texter and letters would misfire, not fire or double fire, mostly not fire at all.

Took it back to the store they couldn't duplicate the problem. Called tech support that night and they authorized a replacement the next day, in store. Got my replacement, and knock wood, everything is fine.

My husband's Pre+ has a bright spot in the bottom right corner of the LED that I can't stand but he's ok with it. It's always there, in the area of the up arrow for the quick launch bar.

I was a die hard Palm user who was addicted to my DateBK6 and actually bought and returned the Pre+ when it first launched on Verizon because I didn't like the calendar. Now that I figured out how to have multiple calenders via Google I"m ok with the calendar on the pre. HOwever I'd REALLY Like more color options for the calendar instead of the 5-6 that the WebOS offers.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    There was an update in April to the hardware which is seen with versions that come with WebOS 1.4 pre-installed. This is why AT&T Palm Pre users have had fewer problems with their Palm Pre Plus than Verizon users, which had fewer problems than Sprint users.

Basically, the manufacturing process has gotten more mature and the quality of phones has gotten better over time. I hope this trend continues for the release of the next set of phones by Palm.
    On a positive note, I was at my Verizon store yesterday with a question about some charges (danged 11 year old and his ringtones! LOL), and commented jokingly that they needed to push the Pre+ more and stop being Droid sheep. The saleperson laughed and agreed. She admitted that the Pre+ was a very nice phone, that she still sells them and had just sold 3 the day before. So, not ALL VZW employees are bashers... though as a whole VZW really has not been supportive of the phones as they could have been.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I got my Pre+ at a local Verizon store in March. I walked in knowing that was the phone I wanted and told the salesman as much when it was finally my turn to be helped. He seemed to accept my choice and gave me no difficulty -- only asked me what is was about the Pre+ that I liked.

Last night my wife took my 19 year old daughter to the same Verizon store to upgrade her old phone. I had casually pushed the Pre+ on her over the past 5 months, but didn't really push it. She had maybe used it 2 or 3 times in that span. But when she got the official text from Verizon that she was eligible to upgrade her phone, she wanted to get a Pre+.

The Verizon folks did everything under the sun to convince her to get a Droid instead. I didn't go along, but now wish I had. She stuck to her guns and now owns her own Pre+.
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    The sales rep tried to get me to go Droid and I wish I wiud have listened LOL I would be much happier.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    When I got my Pre+ back in May the sales rep commented that he most Pre+ buyers seemed to have fairly researched their decision before coming in the store. We talked about the Droid but my main concern was that the device first is a business tool to me and the ability to sync with outlook was most important. That and the mobile hotspot feature which saves me $$ a month over also carrying an aircard made the decision easy.

This being my fourth Palm device, I knew there would be some issues and limitations but the Pre+ does what I want, mostly, and has worked consistantly well, mostly.
    All i am going to say is I have had many phones more than most people over 10 including the samsung instinct and the samsung upstage(both considered bad phones by many) and now I have had my 1st generation-right when it came out-Sprint-palm pre. I have NEVER i repeat NEVER had to return/exchange/replace ANY cell phone i have had (except once it was the first color flip phone to come out on Sprint)

I know how to treat my phones plain and simple. They dont crack,twist,bend,get dropped, dont leave them in the sun, drop them in puddles. Therefore they never have problems. There are no bad batches..just bad users. some ppl say they are on their 5th Pre...REALLY!?! I GUARENTEE you are doing something wrong. A phone cant protect itself from you. Its like some ppl want phones built like rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    All i am going to say is I have had many phones more than most people over 10 including the samsung instinct and the samsung upstage(both considered bad phones by many) and now I have had my 1st generation-right when it came out-Sprint-palm pre. I have NEVER i repeat NEVER had to return/exchange/replace ANY cell phone i have had (except once it was the first color flip phone to come out on Sprint)

I know how to treat my phones plain and simple. They dont crack,twist,bend,get dropped, dont leave them in the sun, drop them in puddles. Therefore they never have problems. There are no bad batches..just bad users. some ppl say they are on their 5th Pre...REALLY!?! I GUARENTEE you are doing something wrong. A phone cant protect itself from you. Its like some ppl want phones built like rocks.
    AMEN
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast