Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    At the Verizon Store near where I go to school, the whole Sales staff CHOSE to have Palm Pre Plus's as their work phones, and not only that, they all would recommend those over the Android devices. I liked that a lot.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I was pleasantly surprised that when my wife was due for an upgrade, we went to the Verizon store and she said she wanted a Pixie plus and the rep said how great Palms phones were. I'm a Sprint/Pre user and it was nice to see them not try and push her to an Android phone.
    i don't think Verizon sales forces against palm - it is all about training. If the person is/was trained on Palm or using it, they would readily recommend the device. If they are not, and have no idea how to operate the thing, they would shirk away from that device.
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    maybe it's a huge pain in the **** to have to send in such a high percentage of pre's for repair/replacement. I have a pre and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, basically because the hardware is extremely unreliable. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Palm's biggest failure wasn't its marketing for the pre, but rather the poor hardware (not to mention buggy software) that make up these phones.
    I agree. I am on my 5th Pre plus. And this one is not any better than the other 4. The "r" button randomly doesn't register and the "u" typically will double or triple type on me. The battery life is pure crap at best. I take the phone off the charger at 6 am. I am lucky if it will make it to noon most days. If using the phone as a mobile hotspot it will kill the battery even if the phone is on charge. I would not endorse this phone if it was the only smartphone option available from Verizon. I love the OS, but the OS alone doesn't make the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I recommend this phone to everyone. I turned someone who was going to get a droid the other day to palm. We hear only people with problems mostly on these forums,thats what they are for, to help people. I do not believe the majority of pre owers have big time hardware issues. Myself,i know 4 people plus myself with pres,,none have had any issues.
    I don't know under what rock you live but every Sprint, Vzn rep I spoke with said that the return rate for this phone is higher than any other phone they have sold.
    I love my pre and have recommended it to everyone i know !!
    maybe it's a huge pain in the **** to have to send in such a high percentage of pre's for repair/replacement. I have a pre and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, basically because the hardware is extremely unreliable. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Palm's biggest failure wasn't its marketing for the pre, but rather the poor hardware (not to mention buggy software) that make up these phones.
    *sigh*

I'll repeat again....EVERY poll on EVERY tech site that made one on Pre build quality had the MAJORITY reporting in that they were still on their FIRST Pre with no issues. Yes, some folks seemed to have bad batches shipped to their region and can't catch a break, others not.

I know 17 Pres personally and only 2 have had hw issues and NONE of them have "oreo" (still have yet to see it in person).
    I have a Verizon Pre, worst phone I have ever owned. They give you Palm support in the beginning, took me 3 weeks to get my exchange email working.

No one at Palm tech support had a clue and documentation is non-existent.

It hangs often, it turns to landscape orientation for no reason. It is absolute garbage and Palm support is among the worst I have ever seen period! in 20 years of owning a cell phone.

Pre support doesn't even know that the updates are automatically pushed to the phone after you reject them a certain number of times.

I wouldn't recommend a Palm Pre to anyone, am shopping ebay and used market for a replacement.

I am a verizon customer with a Pre, garbage phone, with absolutley no support backing it up even from the manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The issues with the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon are not a hardware issue or OS issue. It is that Verizon has crippled the GPS and restrained the OS upgrades that the Verizon sales people get tired of customers asking why their Google Maps doesn’t work and where is their upgrades. I have a launch day Verizon Pre Plus and couldn’t be happier with the phone – the carrier is another “issue”.
    ditto
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    who cares verizon doesn't care about what you think. You can't do nothin about it but come to the forums and talk how you been treated.. Pre failed in their eyes the phone suks you all no it to many returns... Stop playn in them ppl store were you lookin to buy a phone.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    *sigh*

I'll repeat again....EVERY poll on EVERY tech site that made one on Pre build quality had the MAJORITY reporting in that they were still on their FIRST Pre with no issues. Yes, some folks seemed to have bad batches shipped to their region and can't catch a break, others not.

I know 17 Pres personally and only 2 have had hw issues and NONE of them have "oreo" (still have yet to see it in person).
    You seem confused. Perhaps you should read through this thread about the people who are on their FIFTH PRE, or how their pre frequently crashes, etc. Oh, and btw, I know of several people who have received several bad units, with the same or different issues. Just because you make up something in your mind (the stat that every tech site that had a build quality poll reported people still on their first pre) doesn't mean it is necessarily true. I haven't ever seen the oreo effect either, and that's not the hardware issue I have been referring to. Getting stuck in headset mode is one of them, and the screen crashing when closing the phone is another.

Also your 2/17 that you personally know is 11%. Even that imo is unacceptably high, I personally know 40 or so people who have iPhones and I have never had to take them in for repairs.

also @ cobrakon:
    http://bit.ly/JD2Ok
    http://bit.ly/dqadAX

I digress.
    Last edited by staeit; 07/05/2010 at 12:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    It may be the minority, but at my local Verizon corporate store, over half of the sales staff had a Pre Plus or a Pixi Plus as their personal phone. One of the salesmen even let me play with his Pixi Plus before I decided on my Pre. When I asked him how he liked it, he did say that it was pretty nice, took some getting used to, but that he was waiting for the Droid Incredible... At least he was honest about it. And at least he had used the Pixi before he decided to go another route.
    great phone,,one tuff phone,,love my pre.
    Well, the first PRE I got was defective because the store sold me a returned one. The second was a faulty USB port that Pre tech support told the store was 200 or so units with a bad batch of ports.

My third PRE (since we are capitalizing to denote that it's not a Pre Plus I'm talking about) is rock solid. Overclocked. Hasn't crashed. Can throw it down on the table without an issue. Never stuck in headset mode. It has been A++ perfect. It hasn't been turned off or restarted in over 2 months.

So no - YOUR experience isn't the only experience. Some of us with a PRE and not a PRE PLUS have had experience with a great handset.

I think that like Crackberry this place is people who are overly picky about their phones. It's sad.

EDIT - I went through more replacements with my Blackberry Storm and Pearl and more buggy hardware than the Pre. You know, BB - the sainted holy one of the smartphone world.

I'll take the Pre any day.

Oh - and when I worked for Verizon the return rates on the Storm were far far higher than the Pre. And I wasn't in a store, I was phones.

Now, that's just absurd. Sure, some people might 'abuse things' but I sincerely hope you don't believe that all the issues reported by people, and the fact that the "General Pre Complaints" is one of the most commented and viewed threads is due to every single person abusing their stuff.

I personally [have to, annoyingly] BABY this phone, because Palm didn't properly design their battery for the phone, so when I set it down somewhere I have to do it slowly so it doesn't crash. It's gotten stuck in headset mode numerous times, something that every single person I personally know who has had a pre (a total of 3) has experienced. Until I installed the uber-kernel on this phone, it'd crash like 7-8 times a week (luna/gui restart, or screen freeze for 1-2 mins). NO, it's not because people abuse the phone. It's because the hardware is of very poor quality and design. And the stock software is soooo buggy. Thank goodness for precentral.

Now, maybe you've had a better experience with your PRE PLUS, which has updated specs and [possibly?] better hardware. Maybe the Pre Plus's are properly designed and more robust, but just because you haven't had any issues doesn't mean that everyone who has is as a result of negligence.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 07/05/2010 at 02:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Well, the first PRE I got was defective because the store sold me a returned one. The second was a faulty USB port that Pre tech support told the store was 200 or so units with a bad batch of ports.

My third PRE (since we are capitalizing to denote that it's not a Pre Plus I'm talking about) is rock solid. Overclocked. Hasn't crashed. Can throw it down on the table without an issue. Never stuck in headset mode. It has been A++ perfect. It hasn't been turned off or restarted in over 2 months.

So no - YOUR experience isn't the only experience. Some of us with a PRE and not a PRE PLUS have had experience with a great handset.
    In case you haven't been reading any of my posts in their entirety (as is clear from your post), I haven't been saying that MY experience (since we are capitalizing random words) is the only experience. Also, do you even hear yourself? You had to go through two units before you got lucky with a decent third. I don't see how the offence you took when I commented on how poor the pre hardware is justified given the fact that the majority of the PRE'S you have owned have been defective.

I'm also not saying that no other phone has suffered from hardware issues. But it is really hard to argue that the Pre doesn't have any hardware issues.

I purchase 2 pre's from sprint a year ago & both work great. Have never had an issue with either of them. I'm not the most careful person & have dropped mine at least 2@+ times & still no problems. So those that are having issues with verizon, switch to sprint. You'll pay less a month & get great customer service (at least that has been my experience).
    Here's my two cents (though I know I've given them before...)

I work for Verizon and I sell these devices. I use the Pre as my main line, Bold as my work phone, and I have a Droid that gets little to no use (just Maps Navigation really).

I love my Pre and I think it's the best phone in the lineup. To me, it's the perfect balance of all of the major OS' and it's a great design.

With that said ... the build quality is hard to ignore. It is cheap and flimsy. While I baby my phone and I do ok with it, most customers don't. Droids are built like tanks and Blackberrys are pretty good in their own right.

Battery life is ABYSMAL compared to other devices.

When giving webOS a proper demo, people tend to really like it. However, the Pre ends up being the number of 2 or 3 highest percentage of returns due to lag, battery life, and uh ... app envy, I guess you could say.

Now the fact that we're all here on a web forum discussing a certain mobile device puts us in a very small group of phone nerds and that's fine. We have the patience to deal with minor issues and we have the know-how to maintain and even toy with things like overclocking. My Pre is set to 800MHz and it's great, but I happened to pick up a co-worker's stock Pre to help him with something and the speed difference was glaringly apparent. To the average user, this can be a deal breaker.

I've given up on pushing the phone so hard. I'd say about 6/10 people I sell it to keep it, but that's a horrible percentage. While I wouldn't talk anyone out of it, a Droid or Blackberry just tends to be a sure thing.
    i was in an at&t store looking at a pre + and the toolbag of a salesman was practically pushing the htc aria down my throat. I mentioned something to him about homebrew and he said that when you backdoor apps like that, the charge will still end up on your bill. He had no idea what he was talking about.
    I don't recommend it to people because then if they have an issue I am the first they ask.

android and apple are faster, with less buggy software, and have far better hardware (no plastic screen..wobble preschool feel)

Pre's great for me, not my friend who drops his iphone all the time.
    my 2 year old son plays with my pre plus. No problem. Got a grt case to protect the slider just in case.

screen protector (skinomi) keeps the screen protected and clean.

for all the battery complaints, tell me someone who owns a smartphone other than a blackberry who doesn't carry a charger, or have a car charger,or a spare battery or two around??? Gimme a break. Atleast with the palm phones, unlike that fruit phone, you can change the battery. Smartphones use data, and battery tech has not kept up with the times. I easily get through a 12 are workday with my 1400 mah Mugen battery. So while the palm phones don't use the battery optimally out of the box, if you know what you're doing the battery issue should become an afterthought.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast