Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 91
  1. #21  
    When Verizon released the Palm Pre Plus they never intended to push/market the device and why would they? They just invested heavily with the launch of their Droid at a cost of over 100 million dollars (now well over 200 million dollars). I feel the only reason why was to retain their current loyal Palm users coming up for an upgrade at the time and also get back the customers they lost to Sprint when they launched the Palm Pre and at the time all they had to compete in that market segment was the poor excuse for a smartphone, the BB Storm. BTW, we still have 3 launch day Pre's in our family and they are holding up great.
  2. #22  
    I believe we have to accept that there were some batches of the Pre that had problems. I've dropped mine at least 5-6 times, and it is still running like clock work. Only issue: The Power button is slightly recessed. It is one of the Sprint Launch day phones. I typically avoid 1st Gen phones, but I had the BB curve, that I upgraded to because my 700P died, but I returned the BB in the 30 day trial and decided to give the Pre a try(too accustomed to touch screen). Glad I did.

    BTW: I also own an IPhone 3GS and need I say which OS I prefer(Haven't given up my Sprint contract yet)!
    Last edited by Pryormba21; 07/03/2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Comment: I do have the OS4 upgraded on the 3Gs, and I believe the Web OS is still superior
  3. #23  
    I went with a friend to a verizon store when he went to go decide between a Droid or a Pre. with help from the store rep, he got himself a pre.my friend asked about tethering, and the manager told him that mobile hotspot is free on the pre. He told him that webOS doest have vary many apps, but that you will have no problem finding apps to fit a normal persons needs. I think the experience you get really just depends on the store, not the carrier in general.
  4. #24  
    When I went into the Verizon store I was expecting to walk out with nothing less that the enV touch. The reason why was because I was giving my old original enV to my dads girlfriend daughter for her birthday and I was going to get an upgrade. With Verizon changing there plan requiring all phones but the crap ones to have a data plan I wasn't really interested even though it was only $10 extra. Well anyways after her phone was added to the plan I went shopping for a phone. The sales guy said it was basically a rip off for the $10 plan because you only get 25mb and with the $30 one you get unlimited (Basically $1 a day). So we went to the smart phone section and I was just kind of looking at the android phones when he pointed out the Pre and how it was only $50 and came with the free mobile hotspot. He seemed he really wanted to sell the phone more than any other smart phone. He was going crazy about how he loved the multi-tasking and I'm guessing he owned one because I think he mentioned the he had one in his car he was using for wifi. So anyways I walked out with a new Pre Plus excited for it being my first smart phone.

    If you don't want to read.

    Walked in Verizon store for an upgrade. Salesmen told me how great the pre was. Walked out with a new pre plus.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I don't think I have the courage to carry a solar charger around with me but pro0 ps to you for actually doing something about cruddy battery life instead of just complaining about it
    lol thanks,,hey it's not so bad,,its got a clip like a keychain and it's so small you can put in yr pocket. I use pre for very long bike rides,i keep it charging during them also.
  6. #26  
    When I went into my local Sprint store a month ago to talk about possibly adding a new line to my plan, I mentioned that I had just got a Pixi through the free with contract extension thingy. Immediately the Sprint rep had a look of disgust on his face and started telling me how I should give the Pixi to my girlfriend if I added her to my plan and use her sign-up discount to get an Android phone.

    There is definitely no faith in WebOS phones anymore. Unless he just thought I was a wuss for having a Pixi.
  7. #27  
    Verizon Simply SUCKS i hate them they were really rude to me when i went in to buy a pre at full retail so i gave them my thoughts and left got one on craigs list and then activated it on my sprint account (yes it can be done but it takes some doing)

    Well now that i think about it all US Cell providers are **** I use to live in japan were i am from and they are nice and at good cost as well you can get a smart phone for good price with no contract you can get unlimited Talk unlimited Data unlimited text unlimited picture mail or MMS JUST every thing unlimited with out a contract for about 40 a month
  8. ron2112's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    #28  
    For whatever it's worth, my wife and I were in the Verizon wireless store in the Burlington (MA) Mall two nights ago, and the reps there were very positive on the Pre. My wife wants one and they told her it's a great choice.

    They also had a good laugh about the Kin situation.

    EDIT: Oh, I should have mentioned that the fellow at the Verizon store in Manchester NH (Mall of NH) was also very positive on the Pre when I went in to buy mine a few months ago.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ron2112 View Post
    For whatever it's worth, my wife and I were in the Verizon wireless store in the Burlington (MA) Mall two nights ago, and the reps there were very positive on the Pre. My wife wants one and they told her it's a great choice.

    They also had a good laugh about the Kin situation.

    EDIT: Oh, I should have mentioned that the fellow at the Verizon store in Manchester NH (Mall of NH) was also very positive on the Pre when I went in to buy mine a few months ago.
    That's always good to here I am in Kansas right now and people here are just rude it seems not sure what the deal is...
  10. daniel329's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #30  
    Here in Charleston, SC we have great service reps but only one of them uses a Pre Plus and I don't think they work sales. I have watched the interaction when people walk in and ask about getting a smart phone (sometimes they just say "I want a blackberry") and they all march them straight to the droid/droid incredible section. I would appreciate it if they would give a more even showing of the features. I believe that more Verizon upgraders would want the Pre because it is so much more intuitive and has things like 3D gaming, true multitasking, and synergy. Also one thing I would always hear a lot of when people see the droid is "It's so big!"....I think this would also be a great selling point for the Pre Plus or Pixi if they would just mention that there are other smart phones out there besides BB or Android. Its almost as if they have lumped Palm in with the Windows Mobile phones *grimace*.....they only mention it if the customer specifically asks for it and is used to it.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    maybe it's a huge pain in the **** to have to send in such a high percentage of pre's for repair/replacement. I have a pre and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, basically because the hardware is extremely unreliable. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Palm's biggest failure wasn't its marketing for the pre, but rather the poor hardware (not to mention buggy software) that make up these phones.
    What's the return percentage rate?
    How huge a pin in the **** is for a sales rep to have to replace one?
    Do you know the answers to this, or was this just an opportunity to avoid the "general complaints" thread?
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by samecolor View Post
    Agreed. Sales reps working on commission aren't eager to promote phones that will eventually get returned because of quality issues. Even if they exchange the phone for a better build, or a different type of phone altogether to retain the contract, it eats away their time when they could be servicing a new customer with a phone that actually has no quality problems to begin with. This is the heart of the issue.
    Do Verizon or ATT reps replace the phones? The reps at Sprint don't. They have a department that handles phone replacement. The reps have nothing to do with it.
    I think some folks on here are kinda making things up as they go... but that's just a guess.
  13. #33  
    I would agree about the hardware, only because I have been hit with a an inordinately hi number of bad devices. But, I know I am in the minority and that the vast majority of Pre and Pre Plus users are on their first phones.

    That said, I totally disagree about the software being buggy. WebOS is way more finished and polished, and no more buggy than Android or iOS. What It is the reason I have stayed with Palm. I would rather have the far superior OS, with the unrivaled and unduplicated multi-tasking, and let Sprint keep replacing my phones as they fail, than be on an inferior OS like , well, anything else, and still be on my first device.

    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    maybe it's a huge pain in the **** to have to send in such a high percentage of pre's for repair/replacement. I have a pre and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, basically because the hardware is extremely unreliable. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Palm's biggest failure wasn't its marketing for the pre, but rather the poor hardware (not to mention buggy software) that make up these phones.
  14. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #34  
    I am going to start by saying that if you have a Sprint Palm Pre, YOUR personal experiences are not going to apply to the Pre Plus from Verizon or AT&T. The original Sprint version of the Pre was basically beta quality, around the 0.5.0 range. As a result, problems with returns or cheap plastic, or Oreo effects in general do not apply to these newer versions.

    I am not saying anything against Sprint, but Sprint employees must have dealt with a LOT of problems due to quality issues in the early batches of the Palm Pre, and they may very well have a reasonable grudge against the device.

    That has NOTHING to do with Verizon or AT&T for that matter ignoring the Palm Pre Plus, and going on the bad reputation of the Sprint version of the Palm Pre. By the time AT&T got the Palm Pre Plus, it was a GOOD quality phone, and it deserved a lot more focus by sales people. The Verizon version also was basically treated like a crap phone by the sales people, and they didn't show the phone to customers, which of course meant it wouldn't sell.


    The Pre Plus has sold better on AT&T than on Verizon, but neither company has given the phone fair treatment based on the quality of the phone as they got it. I've gotten complements on the Pre Plus from many people who had never seen one before, just based on the style of the device, as well as the ease of use.


    So, I will say it again, if you had problems with a Sprint Palm Pre, and still have problems with new Palm Pres provided by Sprint, you can blame it on Sprint still selling that original beta 0.5 version, or maybe a 0.6 or 0.7 version that still has many issues that the 1.1 versions do not have.
  15. staeit's Avatar
    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What's the return percentage rate?
    How huge a pin in the **** is for a sales rep to have to replace one?
    Do you know the answers to this, or was this just an opportunity to avoid the "general complaints" thread?
    No, I was responding to a question based on my friends and my own experiences with the Pre here. Generally when you sell a device that has a high fail rate and therefore high likelihood of being returned, the people returning the device for service are less than satisfied, and it's a bad experience for both the rep and the customer - does that seriously not make sense to you? Perhaps you should google the definition of the word complaint, it might help in instances such as this.

    And no, I don't know what the return rates are at Verizon, but I know at Bell they are very high (for the Pre). Several different sales reps from several stores have pointed this out to me.
  16. #36  
    I went to a Sprint store looking for a accessory for my pre last week and when I told him what I had he asked how I liked it. I said I like both the pre's I have, no problems. He said wow that's shocking, all I hear is they lockup. He tells me to do myself a favor and get something Android next time. I said I'll buy two of your EVO 4g phones right now if you can show me the local 4g coverage. He got quiet. Well it's coming soon. I said ok even guarantee it to me in 6 months, again real quiet. He said I can guarantee that android is easier to use. I said no thanks I'll just take my touchstone battery doors. It's unreal.
    Palm IIIe -> Palm m100 -> Palm 700p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre ->HTC Evo
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ian3047 View Post
    I went to a Sprint store looking for a accessory for my pre last week and when I told him what I had he asked how I liked it. I said I like both the pre's I have, no problems. He said wow that's shocking, all I hear is they lockup. He tells me to do myself a favor and get something Android next time. I said I'll buy two of your EVO 4g phones right now if you can show me the local 4g coverage. He got quiet. Well it's coming soon. I said ok even guarantee it to me in 6 months, again real quiet. He said I can guarantee that android is easier to use. I said no thanks I'll just take my touchstone battery doors. It's unreal.
    lock up? Never had that happen to any of my webos phones.

    andriod is just easier to use??? Wow, personally I would rather have wimo over andriod, but luckily webos is available and will be for years to come.

    I have a 'few' friends that are employees of verizon, they get a higher spiff/rip/ bonus (commisson) for android devices.
  18. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    lock up? Never had that happen to any of my webos phones.

    andriod is just easier to use??? Wow, personally I would rather have wimo over andriod, but luckily webos is available and will be for years to come.

    I have a 'few' friends that are employees of verizon, they get a higher spiff/rip/ bonus (commisson) for android devices.
    I've had my Pre Plus lock up on me once or twice while testing the F105 kernels(not the -60 version).
  19. #39  
    Have any of you guys ever been in sales? I have spent most of my adult life in sales, though not phones. I can tell you with a pretty good deal of confidence that the only thing a commission sales person cares about is their commission check, bonuses, and spiffs. No brand loyalty or hatred in the world will stop them from enthusiastically selling something that shows them the money. Steve Balmer would sell iPhones if it got him another boat.

    The only thing that would turn Verizon reps against a product is if people walking in the store didn't want the product, and pushing it became more trouble than just selling them what they wanted. Or, there was very little commission for selling the device. Or, the returns and complaints created chargebacks. There is nothing a sales person hates more than a chargeback. If a product becomes known as chargeback bait, it does not stand a chance in a commission sales environment.

    We do not get a realistic perspective on what is really going on with most of these products. The truth is never going to be reflected on a fansite. Sales people are the only ones who know the real story in a given market because they see how customers actually react to the product. They know what the real problems are with the product. They know how many the store purchased and how much left over, unsellable stock they have.

    We get glimpses of the real story, not by reading comments on boards like this, but by seeing how quickly and often the price drops, what incentives are being offered to move the product, and yes, how sales people feel about the product after trying to sell it for a little while. These are fairly reliable indicators of how the product is really doing.

    All of these factors combine to tell us how dismally the Pre has failed in the market. It didn't stop the bleeding at Sprint, and it didn't save Palm from a bad death. Don't blame Verizon sales people, or any sales people for that. First, people were all excited about the Sprint exclusive because it was like the iPhone. It would be the hero device on a single carrier. Didn't work. Then people said Verizon would save the day. They are the anti-AT&T/iPhone carrier of choice. Big company, big marketing budget, big sales force. Didn't work. Then people said, AT&T is carrying the iPhone. That's where the people are. Just putting it next to the iPhone will get tons of customers by accident. All those people who don't want an iPhone would have this great anti-iPhone alternative. Didn't work. In no market in the world has the Pre been a success. Not one single carrier in any market, under any condition, anywhere IN THE WORLD has been able to sell this thing. Please stop blaming Verizon. That totally misses the point.
  20. #40  
    dandbj,

    your argument is understood. BUT what major marketing did VZW do for palm, and when did the salesforce even try seling palm phones?

    the mom advertising was and still is VERIZON's failure on advertising for the phone, not palms.

    the salesforce has been promoting the droid phones since even before palm pluses came to VZW. They have not even tried selling the phone from day one and to be honest, VZW employees were not trained on the devices either. So your argument about the high return rate and therefore failure of palm to sell on vzw is not valid, because even before some people started returning devices the phone was never pushed by VZW. And, this doesn't just apply to palm phones. WM had some really decent devices on VZW as well, the htc imagio, touch pro 2, ozone, and samsung omnia 2. Except for the touch pro 2, which mainly businesses purchased, the other devices are sitting on vzw shelves, collecting dust. They were never promoted, and their build quality and return rate may be better than palms.

    so yes, the palm devices were not compelling in and of themselves to most consumers except when released on sprint...but, good advertising goes a long way and neither vzw or palm did well there. There is no other reason why the droid eris should have sold so well on vzw.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions