Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I got a replacement Pre five days ago and not once in that time has the phone done an automatic backup to my Palm profile, even though the button is set to the ON position in the backup app. I can perform a manual backup at any time, but any ideas why the phone doesn't perform this operation automatically, and is there any way I can set it to start doing so?
    A lot of people had this problem in the old days - the way to fix it was to set backups to OFF (it will ask you to delete your backup - say yes, if you're comfortable doing so) and then reboot, and then turn the backup back to ON. That's how we fixed it "in the old days" - it might work for you
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by errade View Post
    A lot of people had this problem in the old days - the way to fix it was to set backups to OFF (it will ask you to delete your backup - say yes, if you're comfortable doing so) and then reboot, and then turn the backup back to ON. That's how we fixed it "in the old days" - it might work for you
    So what happens if I delete my backup? Do I just need to do a manual backup after rebooting to update my profile again, or does my profile get deleted too?
    Oh it definitely won't delete your Palm Profile - it just deletes their copy of the backup on their servers. When you turn backups back on it will backup your phone as it is now - purchased apps, contacts etc will be left in tact. You really shouldn't notice any difference in the way your phone behaves after doing this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I'll try it....thanks for your help!
    Can anyone else confirm that this works. Backup hasn't been running automatically on my Pre for many months.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    Can anyone else confirm that this works. Backup hasn't been running automatically on my Pre for many months.
    Yes
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    I just tried errade's suggestion. Now just got to wait and see if it does a backup on its own later on. I'll report back, but I have a feeling the issue is now resolved! Thanks again.
    One thing I don't like about Palm's auto backup is that it saves only one backup, you can't access it and you just have to trust them that it's a good backup.

What I'd like to see is an option on your Palm's profile webpage that allows you to store "X" amount of backups so in case one is corrupt, you have others to fall back on.

Say for instance, they let you store 5 total backups, you can go to the site and choose which ones you want to keep, like maybe one from a month ago, one from last week that are "locked" so they can't be overwritten. The ones that aren't locked are overwritten each time there is an auto backup.

Hopefully, in the future we'll have a true "image" backup like NVBackup on the Centro or Resco Backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    One thing I don't like about Palm's auto backup is that it saves only one backup, you can't access it and you just have to trust them that it's a good backup.

What I'd like to see is an option on your Palm's profile webpage that allows you to store "X" amount of backups so in case one is corrupt, you have others to fall back on.

Say for instance, they let you store 5 total backups, you can go to the site and choose which ones you want to keep, like maybe one from a month ago, one from last week that are "locked" so they can't be overwritten. The ones that aren't locked are overwritten each time there is an auto backup.

Hopefully, in the future we'll have a true "image" backup like NVBackup on the Centro or Resco Backup.
    We're coming pretty close with save/restore which is available in Preware. One thing I don't know about save/restore is whether it would somehow know (or if the App Cat would know) which apps you've paid for already. Preware can keep a list of all your installed packages (to include patches). Save/restore can backup lots of different applications, including Preware. So when your phone gets erased, you could just reinstall Preware, install save/restore, then load all your data back.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    UPDATE: I'm pleased to announce that my beloved Pre took it upon itself to do its first auto-backup at 4:32 am this morning! Yaaaay! Thanks all.
    Good to hear
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post

Although it is not available for end users yet, Palm does keep past backups in case your data does become corrupted etc.

Maybe in the future this can be made available for end users, but do know that it's not a one backup if that fails or gets corrupted you are screwed. Just contact Palm technical support for any issues.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Although it is not available for end users yet, Palm does keep past backups in case your data does become corrupted etc.

Maybe in the future this can be made available for end users, but do know that it's not a one backup if that fails or gets corrupted you are screwed. Just contact Palm technical support for any issues.
    That's good to hear. I know I've read several posts where people say their backup was corrupted.

It would be great if multiple backups were available for end users.