Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    What is the difference between these two apps? Are they for a different purpose, or do they accomplish basically the same thing?
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  2. #2  
    They're slightly different. They both do the same things, but they do it with different sets of data. The Pre backup gets your notes, any Palm profile data and a record of which apps you have installed from the App Cat. Save/restore backs up data from other applications such as SplashID, Preware, and many games.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  3. davidtm's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    #3  
    Would be nice if they coordinated or combined the functionalities. What if you use both and restore from both? Do you get duplicated data?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  4.    #4  
    So if you need to replace your Pre, would it be advisable to use both?

    (Not that I'm replacing mine any time soon, just thinking ahead).
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    So if you need to replace your Pre, would it be advisable to use both?

    (Not that I'm replacing mine any time soon, just thinking ahead).
    Absolutely.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #6  
    Save/Restore and Pre Backup Utility take completely different approaches to the problem of backing up data from your device. They cannot be merged.

    Save/Restore aims to safely and reliably save and restore data on an application by application basis. We do not restore anything that cannot be restored safely and reliably. We do save some stuff that cannot be restored safely and reliably (we save it in a format which can be read by a human). For this reason, there are many things that it does not save and restore (the list of supported applications grows steadily, but slowly).

    Pre Backup Utility attempts to save and restore the complete Palm database. If you do this immediately after a webOS Doctor, it will probably work. If you do any other change to your data (including changes like syncing your contacts with Google or other things like that) before or during the restore, then my understanding (which may be out of date) is that subtle problems may occur. So it's great as a last resort if you have no other way to get your data, but I personally (and again, I may be working from out of date information, cause I haven't tried the latest versions) don't use it. You should verify this point with the author yourself, rather than take my word for it.

    Then there is the cloning capability of the WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor. This takes a low-level image of the filesystems of your device, and can clone that back onto the same device.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  7. akram's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #7  
    Just tried Save/restore , but only saved 6 app, am I doing it wrong, or that does not support all apps?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akram116 View Post
    Just tried Save/restore , but only saved 6 app, am I doing it wrong, or that does not support all apps?
    It should tell you which of the apps you have that it supports. If you have apps that are currently unsupported you can ask in the save/restore thread for someone to attempt the script, keep in mind that paid apps may need a bounty to be provided. Read the save/restore thread for more info.
  9. cpfms's Avatar
    Posts
    63 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #9  
    I am unable to install save/restore from preware.


    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    6 89466 6 5547 0 0 14939 0 0:00:05 --:--:-- 0:00:05 22366
    100 89466 100 89466 0 0 98k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 114k
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.saverestore_0.9.3_arm.ipk", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus 1.4.5
    UberKernal 1.0 GHz
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfms View Post
    I am unable to install save/restore from preware.


    download
    % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
    Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
    6 89466 6 5547 0 0 14939 0 0:00:05 --:--:-- 0:00:05 22366
    100 89466 100 89466 0 0 98k 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 114k
    failed
    -1: Unable to run command: /usr/bin/luna-send -n 6 luna://com.palm.appinstaller/installNoVerify '{"subscribe":true, "target": "/media/internal/.developer/org.webosinternals.saverestore_0.9.3_arm.ipk", "uncompressedSize": 0}' 2>&1
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
    ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, { "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
    The correct place to report that would be in the Save/Restore thread.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  11. vandelay's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #11  
    When it comes to backing up any data stored in the palm database on the device, such as text messages, is there any difference between the Pre Backup Utility and simply copying the database over with Internalz? Even if that's all it's doing, being automated with multiple backups and the date it was backed up is still nice. I am aware that this cannot be done reliably which is why it isn't in Save/Restore, I have successfully done this, and what I do is whenever backing up/restoring the database, I put the phone in airplane mode, restart it, do nothing but the backup/restore of the database with internalz, then restart it again and turn off airplane mode. As far as I know, this method should be reliable.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    When it comes to backing up any data stored in the palm database on the device, such as text messages, is there any difference between the Pre Backup Utility and simply copying the database over with Internalz? Even if that's all it's doing, being automated with multiple backups and the date it was backed up is still nice. I am aware that this cannot be done reliably which is why it isn't in Save/Restore, I have successfully done this, and what I do is whenever backing up/restoring the database, I put the phone in airplane mode, restart it, do nothing but the backup/restore of the database with internalz, then restart it again and turn off airplane mode. As far as I know, this method should be reliable.
    A long as there are no embedded references to any other files on the phone, yes it will work reliably. 90% or more of people will have no problems (or at least not notice any subtle data inconsistencies like that).

    -- Rod
  13. #13  
    I'm sorry to cross-link, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the issue i'm having with Pre Backup Utility...

    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2549872
    you can also follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/coveredwagonkid
  14. #14  
    Hi,

    How do i convert the timestamp to an actual date when viewing the output of the save/restore procedure for my text messages?

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions