1. BJB
    I know this has been posted before, but I wanted to share the "reasons" and "solutions" that I received from my pre plus carrier and from Palm.

So after months of (mostly) happily using a Pre Plus, today I get the message that I am no longer logged into my profile, and do I want to reboot or erase my data??!! I googled, and yup, it's an issue....So I reboot...same options, this reboot, it starts and asks me if I want English as my language. Woops!!! No data!

Now of course that most useless of backups the palm profile does not backup anything on my phone really....I sync direct to Exhange and use Chapura sync to a desktop Outlook PST file. So I spend the next 3 hours restoring and syncing. Just crazy.

So I call the carrier and Palm. The carrier says...."well if your phone originally was under another phone number and you changed it as part of an upgrade, that can cause it." Huh? This can affect me months later I say??? My phone number upgrade change was done BEFORE I even turned on the phone. Palm does not even know about that first number!

So I called Palm. That was a joke. The guy says it can happen if 2 people use the same e-mail or credit card in their palm profile. Now since it won't even allow you to setup the same e-mail twice, I'd like to know how THAT would happen. But the credit card thing sounded like a possibility. I checked, and no one on my plan is using the same credit card.

So the question is. We know this happens sometimes. Is there any source with credibility that really knows WHY this happens??? And does any setting reduce the likelihood of it happening again?

Also, other than my few purchased apps, none of my critical data is even backed up by the Palm Profile!!! I still had to re-create all my POP3 accounts, change all my preferences back, re-sync with Exchange, re-sync with Chapura, and then re-marry all the contact duplicates that Synergy did not handle right. So what's the worth?

Can this be turned off? Does changing the palm profile in the apps perferences setting from "submit password every 4 hours" (whatever that means) to only at purchase help??

Do you have any other options when you get that reboot r erase prompt? Pull the battery???????

If I am on the road and this happened, I would be without half my contacts until I returned which is unacceptable. This is very disappointing. I cannot believe the default action is not "let's TRY AGAIN", and not, "hey, let's erase all of this user's data on him"!!!

Any help, most appreciated.

BJB
    This just happen to my wife phone when I updated her UberKernel. luckily all of contacts, etc are stored on her palm profile.

I am going to doctor her phone when 1.4.5 releases just to start her off with a clean slate.

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    If no one on your plan is using the same credit card I would check to see if someone you don't know is using your credit card. Just a thought.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
  4. BJB
    I seriously doubt it truly is the credit card issue, but just in case, I just deleted my card. Figure next time I buy something I'll key it in, then delete it. I have not seen one official posted Palm comment on this issue even though it looks like it has been going on since last year.
    BJB
    You can force an update of the Palm Profile if you go into the backup app, turn backup off, confirm deleting your data, rebooting and turning the backup on again.

Critical note: The Palm profile works best "after hours" when the phone and network are less busy.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I had this happen to me randomly a few months ago and I wasn't even using the phone that day, it was mainly just sitting on my desk. I had to get all my info back too and it was a really big hassle.

But I DON'T have a credit card on my account in the catalog so this CAN'T be a credit card issue. I also did not have duplicate email addresses or anything like that. It just happened out of the blue when I wasn't even using the phone.

I remember seeing a thread about this a few months ago and the palm rep on these forums was asking to see data logs to help figure it out.
    so I was downloading a few apps while they were on sale. downloaded the settlers cuz it was cheap....but it hung up during install. so I restarted the phone, it booted back up and tried to reinstall, then went haywire and said "you dont have a profile on this phone" and asked me if I wanted to restart or erase. I said restart. Phone restarts, and now everything is gone.

thank you for erasing my phone for no reason

im so ticked
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    When they had the issue with the app catalog back in May this happened to me twice in the same day. It was very frustrating. My sympathies to you.
    Sounds really frustrating. So when you tried to log into your profile it didn't work? Or were you able to log into your profile but nothing reinstalled? If the latter, Palm may be able to restore your profile data from a previous backup, but you'd have to call them.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    When they had the issue with the app catalog back in May this happened to me twice in the same day. It was very frustrating. My sympathies to you.
    my touchstones are literally the only thing keeping me from being so mad I trade it in on an evo
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Sounds really frustrating. So when you tried to log into your profile it didn't work? Or were you able to log into your profile but nothing reinstalled? If the latter, Palm may be able to restore your profile data from a previous backup, but you'd have to call them.
    it reset itself back to factory to where I had to enter in palm profile info and its rebuilding itself now.

POS
    @agentmock

Report it to Palm USA|Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses please. They are quick about fixing things and the more reports of issues such as these the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    my touchstones are literally the only thing keeping me from being so mad I trade it in on an evo
    I'm thinking when Samsung's 4g phone is out, if Palm doesn't make an annoucement, I'll buy it for my wife, and switch phones for a little while until Palm's hardware is announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
    I'm thinking when Samsung's 4g phone is out, if Palm doesn't make an annoucement, I'll buy it for my wife, and switch phones for a little while until Palm's hardware is announced.
    i just get tired of investing in stuff and trying to switch every year.....its ****
    @agentmock

15. pdj
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    My wife's phone phone did this several times over the course of a few months, twice while we were travelling. Palm was able to restore the profile, after several hours of trying, but all other data was lost. When it happened last week we took it to sprint, they ordered a replacement for her.
  16. BJB
    65fastback,

I feel your pain. I was not even downloading anything! My phone was just sitting there on my desk. I had just had a call a while ago, the phone was sitting there, and I got the message....reboot or erase data. And a reboot forced the same message and then it deleted my data without asking. I mean if it wants to delete the PALM PROFILE data, that is fine. It has no business deleting my exchange and chapura-sync'd data that it does not even backup or "own"! Why can't it just say "you are not logged into your profile we will try again in an hour"!!!

Cobrakan, as far as turning off backup, erasing data and then turning it back on, that sounds like exactly what I don't want to do unless I am missing something?

Someone from Palm/HP had better fix this.

BJB