Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yep, and to me this is officially the divorce between Palm and Sprint. Notice everything is free with VZW and AT&T (the phone, bluetooth headset, leather case, and car charger), yet for Sprint it is $99 for **JUST** the phone (and a much lesser phone too).

A sad day for Sprint webOS lovers :-(
    Carriers actually control the pricing Mikey, they do the subsidizing.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Yep, and to me this is officially the divorce between Palm and Sprint. Notice everything is free with VZW and AT&T (the phone, bluetooth headset, leather case, and car charger), yet for Sprint it is $99 for **JUST** the phone (and a much lesser phone too).

A sad day for Sprint webOS lovers :-(
    I think this is just economics. Verizon and AT&T bought big batches of Pre and Pixi phones and they are having trouble selling them, so they dropped the price drastically. Sprint has much less inventory to move, they are even buying back used Pre phones to make available for refurbs. I wouldn't be surprised if the new generation HP-Palm devices come out on Sprint first.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Ha! Just got an email about the merger.

"Great news. Palm is now part of the HP family. And that means bigger and better things for customers like you. With the power of HP behind us, the excitement created by the first Palm® webOS™ phones will grow even stronger as we introduce a new generation of devices. At the same time, you’ll still receive the same outstanding support that you’ve come to expect from Palm."
    disappointing, here I was thinking they were unlocked and carrier free. HP is no smarter than Palm.
    Sprint also has a smaller profit margin on their service. Go into a store though. When I went in, the Pre was still $249 minus $100 rebate. They reduced the service price so far, it was a better deal than Amazon, who had it priced at $79.

I'm really glad HP didn't put the phones in the Outlet section. /jk
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    I think this is just economics. Verizon and AT&T bought big batches of Pre and Pixi phones and they are having trouble selling them, so they dropped the price drastically. Sprint has much less inventory to move, they are even buying back used Pre phones to make available for refurbs. I wouldn't be surprised if the new generation HP-Palm devices come out on Sprint first.
    It's too bad that Verizon didn't really try selling them either. I've read that AT&T is at least trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Carriers actually control the pricing Mikey, they do the subsidizing.
    Right, I understand that, but this means Sprint is unwilling to subsidize. Like i've said before, I hope I am proven wrong, but I see Sprint going the Android route, and not the webOS route.

Please HP, prove me wrong! I don't want to switch to Android, but I don't want to switch carriers more.
  9.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Agreed. It's all about clearing out excess inventory to make room for the next Gen Palm devices. Hopefully this pumps in some much needed revenue for Sprint.
    The future for palm devices looks good indeed. I bought a first day palm pre from Sprint and have never looked back. I compare it to any and all phones today and still believe I have the best product available. And when the new phones come out...wow.
    Right, I understand that, but this means Sprint is unwilling to subsidize. Like i've said before, I hope I am proven wrong, but I see Sprint going the Android route, and not the webOS route.

Please HP, prove me wrong! I don't want to switch to Android, but I don't want to switch carriers more.
    I really don't get what you are saying....

In one breath you say you understand Sprint isn't willing to subsidize (ANY FURTHER BTW), then you ask HP to prove you wrong...

Either Sprint is still selling phones at 99 or they are very low stock. It's simple econ man, if Sprint was dumping Palm they would be more likely to be trying to get rid of the phones while locking people into a 2 year contract. I really think you have things backwards on this one. It's just not the way econ or business works.

Also as mentioned above, another theory completely separate from the simple econ/business model is that Sprint knows their plans are lower and have decided to eat the profits on their plans but not eat the extra money on subsidizing the phones any further than they already are. For example sprint doesn't do BOGO like VZW has been doing for YEARS. Sprint seams to want to compete on the long term plan end and let people deal with deciding when/what/and how much to spend on upgrade.

Also from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshk View Post
    As a Sprint dealer I agree that it would be wonderful for them to knock $50 off the Pre and Pixi to match prices with the other carriers but I think Sprint is waiting till they are closer to the release of the next Palm phone to do a price cut. Since Palm hasn't announced a new phone, it's hard to say when that might be.

The main issue with doing more priice cuts on the Pre is that it's full retail price is quite a bit higher than the Hero, Moment or even Evo 4G making every price cut a larger chunk Sprint has to eat.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07/02/2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: added quote
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I'm encouraged also. I have been drooling over the EVO hardware but did not want to give up WEBOS/Homebrew. Looks like webos is here for a while longer anyway and hopefully some new hardware will rock the socks off!
    I don't understand why is the Palm Pre Plus free with a new line on ATT and Verizon, but the original Pre is $99 with Sprint. Sprint needs to get with it!

HP® Wireless Central
    I think they are trying to get rid of extra stock, maybe in prep for new device?
    whats also interesting is how they state "Black" as a color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountainhead View Post
    disappointing, here I was thinking they were unlocked and carrier free. HP is no smarter than Palm.
    Yep, really stupid move on their part. What in the world were they thinking. They should sell the Pre unlocked and carrier free, same way the other major smartphone manufacturers do like ... um ... eh ...

Actually, to be fair, the $99 is a subsidized price.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilpinkeye View Post
    whats also interesting is how they state "Black" as a color.
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe black is indeed considered a color
    This signature for rent
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Black is not a color. Color Matters - Vision - Are black and white colors?

But jeez, I think it is fine that they list "black" as a color. Better than listing it as "the absence of color"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast