Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I could understand people saying it's pointless, but in my mind, there's a major (and very important, in my opinion) change that people are ignoring.

The PDK apps are now properly sandboxed (according to the 1.4.5 SDK/PDK release notes), and can only affect certain directories. In other words... before someone could theoretically write a PDK application that would intentionally break other applications, or even the phone's own software, or access data that they shouldn't be, or pretty much anything. Instead, now each PDK app runs in its own little world.

(This is also part of the reason that the PDK apps in the Catalog had to be hand-selected, from my understanding of things).

That's more than just a minor security update as far as I'm concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Again, my 'pointless' addition was to stir things up a bit.
    Of course it's not pointless. It's boring, that's all.
    Yeah, but sometimes boring is necessary.
    Can't believe Uruguay goes through.
    ...sometimes football really isn't a gentlemens sport.

geez, I'm on O2 germany in capital city Berlin, I WANT MY UPDATE so i can finally start reconfiguring kernel and patches after the doctor i have just come from...
    Really, don't know how Palm rolls out the OS update. I'm in Malaysia, had 3 German O2 Pres, 1 gets the update, the other 2 don't gets it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    everybody that has a device that has been activated in the right country, has these apps. you can't hammer on Palm for not supporting things they didn't want to support.

Bugs, etc. are annoying but they already announced webos 2.0 for end of fall, so this should be the next big thing besides app-compatibility. Think you have to wait until then.
    Do you realize that what Palm is doing is not legal according to the EU laws, right?

Update just hitted Portugal!!!! yeahhhh!!!
    oh yeah!1.4.5 is now being downloaded on my german qwertz in Trinidad and Tobago on bmobile network!
    Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    Do you realize that what Palm is doing is not legal according to the EU laws, right?
    Citation required please.

-- Rod
    I'm not a lawyer so I'll need to check references with my lawyer friends but for what I've been talking, superficially, with them this is against the spirit of EU. As you know this Union opens the borders of all EU countries for traveling and for business and that's the reason we can buy everything within EU and be protected by "universal" EU warranty laws and such.

In this spirit of economic trade and free moving within this countries it is illegal to block, for example, app catalog in any country of EU.

I will keep you posted of my research.
    I'm not a lawyer so I'll need to check references with my lawyer friends but for what I've been talking, superficially, with them this is against the spirit of EU. As you know this Union opens the borders of all EU countries for traveling and for business and that's the reason we can buy everything within EU and be protected by "universal" EU warranty laws and such.

In this spirit of economic trade and free moving within this countries it is illegal to block, for example, app catalog in any country of EU.

I will keep you posted of my research.
    Please do. I get quite skeptical when people mix "against the spirit of" and "illegal" in the same assertion.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Please do. I get quite skeptical when people mix "against the spirit of" and "illegal" in the same assertion.

-- Rod
    Rod, I don't know how its like in Australia but, for example, in Portugal, things that are not well specified on our legislation are decided literally "in the spirit of our constitution".
    Rod, I don't know how its like in Australia but, for example, in Portugal, things that are not well specified on our legislation are decided literally "in the spirit of our constitution".
    I'm not sure what positive effect accusations of illegality without accurate citation first will have for those wishing for the app catalog to be opened up to their country. Seems to me that it's likely to have the opposite effect of what is desired ...

I mean calling Palm out for not opening up the app catalog to your country (a sentiment I share) is one thing. But accusations of illegality are quite a different and much more serious matter.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Got it in Sweden this morning on my Pre Minus.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    They would be (more serious) in a court of law.
    On a forum, at a picnic, or during a football match, not so much.

These un-escalated illegality accusations quite easily translate into:
    It wouldn't surprise me if there were a law against that.
    That should be made illegal.
    Palm is a bad, bad company. (męęh)

As an end user, glorified is entitled to express unsubstantiated accusations of alleged illegal activities by named company. There may be laws that limit such freedom, but in the context of a forum I very much doubt they would be enforced.

iow: free your mind, and the appcat will follow.
    Agreed on freedom of speech. I'm calling for precision of speech as well

I wasn't aware that any countries had legal or moral laws that stated that an individual or a company cannot choose who they sell something to.

Now, if someone was deceived into thinking they should have app catalogue access, then the company should be held to the full force of the law. But if someone just fails to research the product they are purchasing, then that's just stupidity, and the law should not reward it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 07/03/2010 at 02:51 AM.
    Agreed on freedom of speech. I'm calling for precision of speech as well

I wasn't aware that any countries had legal or moral laws that stated that an individual or a company cannot choose who they sell something to.

Now, if someone was deceived into thinking they should have app catalogue access, then the company should be held to the full force of the law. But if someone just fails to research the product they are purchasing, then that's just stupidity, and the law should not reward it.

-- Rod
    Why I stated something about the app catalog: I bought my Palm Pre in an O2 shop in Germany, and asked the guy selling it if it would be best to activate it there and then using a German pre-paid card.

His answer: doesn't matter. There's no difference if you just activate it in the Netherlands, using your own Dutch SIM card.

Well... it does make a difference for paid apps access, obviously. Unfortunately, nobody seems to care, despite me explaining the story to O2 support. "can't be helped".

I'm not sure if I should be forced to know better than the O2 staff
    Quote Originally Posted by joebel View Post
    Why I stated something about the app catalog: I bought my Palm Pre in an O2 shop in Germany, and asked the guy selling it if it would be best to activate it there and then using a German pre-paid card.

His answer: doesn't matter. There's no difference if you just activate it in the Netherlands, using your own Dutch SIM card.

Well... it does make a difference for paid apps access, obviously. Unfortunately, nobody seems to care, despite me explaining the story to O2 support. "can't be helped".

I'm not sure if I should be forced to know better than the O2 staff
    That's a situation where I fully agree that you have legal rights to restitution from the vendor. You were deceived by an agent of the company.

-- Rod
    btw, fyi and hooray: 1.4.5 coming down on me in the moment

i bought my pre on amazon.de, dunno where it really belongs to. serial gives me the correct doctor.
    That's a situation where I fully agree that you have legal rights to restitution from the vendor. You were deceived by an agent of the company.

-- Rod
    That's how I feel.

I have a hard time understanding O2's / Palm's reaction in this matter. I never asked them to turn Geofiltering off, or change any mechanism they have in place. I just asked them to give me the choice I had, but was explicitly told would have no influence.

There's obviously some kind of database with phone-id's (IMEI probably) and some country-code. All I asked was to turn the country code to Germany, as it would have been had I done what I initially suggested as an option to the O2 guy. And I'll accept the limitations of that setting.

They won't do that, whereas I fail to see how that hurts O2 and/or Palm in any way. Considering the attitude Palm shows on their phone and O.S. in general (your phone: go ahead) I'm surprised about the attitude displayed in their reply.
    Last edited by joebel; 07/03/2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: spelling error
    1.4.5 downloading in the UK to QWERTZ Pre on Virgin mobile.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    I am very pleased with 1.4.5 update. It fixed all my Luna Crashes I previously reported to HardbeatZ as well as Contact incorrect photo scaling and resizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsirg View Post
    I am very pleased with 1.4.5 update. It fixed all my Luna Crashes I previously reported to HardbeatZ as well as Contact incorrect photo scaling and resizing.
    Ah, nice. I've been waiting for that contact picture bug to be squashed for a loooong time
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast