Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've read a bunch of the threads on this. I won't go into the plusses and minuses of the new PalmOS, we are where we are. I've got the trial version of Echo, thinking that would do the trick, and of course, my contacts and calendar seem to imported fine. My memos ended up inside Echo, so I'm not really happy with that.

I'll live with losing security on some of my memos, and will try one of the add ons for passwords. Suggestions welcome.

I looked at Classic, but don't like the loss of screen space and other downsides.

And I saw the idea to create a new profile, temp, to just import memos.

I've decided to bite the bullet and go with the online storage, even though it bugs me a little. But all this raises some questions before I do it.

If I move everything to the online profile, then download to the Pre, will I end up with duplicates in calendar and contacts? If so, how do I prevent that? I guess I'd need to use DTA, but I don't know much about that. I welcome hints there too.

If I have to "blow away" everything already on the Pre, how exactly do I do that? And specifically, how do I delete an app like Echo?

Help! I need to move on past this and get back to backing up my data!

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I guess I forgot to mention the Centro was backed up to my Palm Desktop.
    try using companionlink but it would still transfer tasks and memos to a custom app... and with companionlink, you can use the cable to sync =)
    If you went with "Notes" in the app catalog (currently 2.50), it syncs with google docs, it is pretty painless to e-mail your memos to your gmail and then send em to docs (if you are using gmail). I just recently made this switch and I love it.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Thanks to all so far. A question to you: Can't I just synch to my new Palm online profile or do I have to have another client like gmail? Or are both required?
    I would say most people on these boards would advize against using Palm profile as your sole backup for anything. Some don't like using the cloud, but google at least allows you to backup to your computer and store your backup how you choose. Your Palm profile can only be accessed by your webos device and has had some issues with restoring in the past. Your Palm profile also does not backup all information, I thought it didn't backup memos, but I could be wrong as I don't use my palm profile to backup anything important.

Personally one day when I am not lazy, I will be exporting all my Palm profile contacts to my gmail as well. I don't worry about it much right now because 99% of the info in my Palm profile was imported from my Centro which is still backed up on my PC and my Centro.
    actually palm profile back up includes contacts, calendar, tasks/todo, notes/memos, apps, email accounts (except passwords), web bookmarks (cookies included)
    Quote Originally Posted by dameweg View Post
    actually palm profile back up includes contacts, calendar, tasks/todo, notes/memos, apps, email accounts (except passwords), web bookmarks (cookies included)
    it actually doesn't "back up" apps. Your app purchase history is stored based on palmprofile/app catalog. Any info added into the apps is not backed up, and as I said I still wouldn't trust the profile to backup important notes or contacts.
    youre right... i meant to say "list of apps" =) my bad hehe
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. If I may, I'd like to return to my questions at the beginning. If I use the Palm Profile, and Yahoo (I'm leaning there, since I already have it established and I'm leary of putting too much stuff on Google- sorry), is there a risk of duplicating entries in my Pre since I already imported from Desktop, and how to prevent?

Thanks,
    with synergy in WebOS you can technically get duplicate contacts, but they will attach to each other as to show as a single contact when you pull them up with all information combined.

This shows with a paperclip where the picture is for the contact and the number of total contacts combined. Webos calls this "linking profiles" even though it is done by individual contact.

A quick example, I have contacts in palm profile, google, and then i have my facebook linked too. If the first and last name match of a contact(profile) between any 2 of these or all 3, webos will automagically link the contact profiles. So when I have a contact on facebook and a contact in my palm profile, all the information shows up as a single contact (this works really smoothly). If the first and last names don't match you can choose to link the contact profiles by tapping on the picture next to a contact ni the contacts app.

Personally this has become one of my favorite features of the Pre/WebOS and works universally throughout the OS. When someone updates their FB picture, it updates for the contact everywhere.