View Poll Results: Which Keyboard do you prefer?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hardware Keyboard

96 79.34%
  • Virtual Keyboard

13 10.74%
  • Haven't tried Virtual Keyboard, so no comment

12 9.92%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Only comparing Virtual Keyboard (free via PreWare) and the hardware keyboard. Which do you prefer and why?

When I first got my Pre Plus, first thing I did was install the VK. I quickly uninstalled it though, thinking it might be my problem for crappy battery life, so I had it for maybe an hour. I recently decided to give it a try again; I also installed the enable landscape messaging patch, since this is where I'll be doing most of my typing anyways. So far, only complaint is it covers the messages, so I have to close it everytime to see the new ones. Moving it to the top of the screen worked, but it's difficult for me to type way up there :P. So, which do you prefer and why?
    I don't like the VKB from Preware so I vote for the hardware one.
    Like the actual keyboard, have to be able to feel the keys with my thumbs or I'm lost.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    The virtual keyboard is a nice alternative, especially since it allows for typing in landscape, but the hardware keyboard is faster and more accurate. Plus, (without bluetooth keyboard support) how else can I do Crosswords?
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    I'm the one who voted for the virtual keyboard, but not because of a free version.
    the preware version is just too slow. I can't use it. i double tap, and tap and wait and again. can't use it.
    the other free versions are just not it. again, too slow, sluggish can't correct and fix mistakes and no auto-correct.

especially now, with the 50% off the app-catalog, I'd go with a paid version.
    I like My Home Keyboard. It's just getting better with every update. and I also got prompt responses from the developer.
    Hardware keyboard, just simply because i like to get the click feeling so i know i have pressed the key. When i type on a virtual keyboard i am always unsure about what i am typing.
    There are two things i think would make Preware VKB better.
    1. There is a button that lets up move the keyboard up and down. took me a while to realize when the keyboard would stop working, most of the time its because i hit that key my mistake. Id rather have the option of removing it.
    2. When you are typing in webpages. the backspace does not work. so if you mess up you end up using the physical keyboard anyways.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Although i do have the VKB installed for those rare times that I might need it I greatly prefer to use the physical KB whenever possible. Honestly the Pre having a physical keyboard was one of the main reasons that I got it. After my last phone (Instinct) I don't think that I will ever go back to another phone that does not have a physical keyboard.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    Hardware keyboard, just simply because i like to get the click feeling so i know i have pressed the key. When i type on a virtual keyboard i am always unsure about what i am typing.
    You can enable haptic feedback for the VK. I was the same way, wanted to know when I hit a key, so I did this, and so far I'm liking it.
    The physical keyboard is a big reason I chose the Pre a year ago... while I like having the option of the VKB, I still much prefer the real deal.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I prefer the hardware keyboard most of the time unless my light proximity sensor goes wonky (thank goodness for Brightness Unlinked) or the travel gets to bumpy..., only then does the virtual keyboard come in handy, or unless if an Iphone user complains about using my Pre's keyboard.
    I wanted to clarify my vote ... all the virtual keyboards i have seen available for the Pre are junk. i really want one of those slider keyboards like ShapeWriter for android. they can take up less real estate and they're really snazzy and i type so much faster on it than a typical qwerty virtual kb.
    I like a hardware keyboard the best. I like having the option of a VK but I'm not fond of the preware one (I do have it installed, just don't use it). I've thought about purchasing the paid version but I'm not sure if I'd like it, still deciding on it.
    You should have also asked in your poll, how many know how to actually touch type like on a real fullsized computer keyboard.

I can, so I insist on having a real keyboard on any smartphone I buy, because you can't touch type on a virtual keyboard. It's impossible
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicMan View Post
    you can't touch type on a virtual keyboard. It's impossible
    I saw a YouTube video review recently that showed *almost* touch-typing (using multi-touch) on a virtual keyboard. I think it was on an Evo, so I Googled and found this link that points it out as a feature.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    hardware, my hands get clammy, and I have a somewhat heavy touch...
    KeyBoss will begin to enhance both options (keyboard emulation, repeat rate control, KeyCaps functionality). Coming soon to a testing feed near you.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    voted for virtual keyboard, but really would have liked an option for i like both.

since i have my brightness set to the lowest to save battery the virtual keyboard comes in handy in low light situations.

Also, I actually found that once i got used to the VKB in landscape mode it is actually faster than typing on the hardware keyboard (especially due to the still somewhat existent hardware keyboard input errors like missed letters or spaces)
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    KeyBoss will begin to enhance both options (keyboard emulation, repeat rate control, KeyCaps functionality). Coming soon to a testing feed near you.
    This update is amazing... one of the things i love about the pre is seeing the evolution patches like VKB. I love the fixed backspace issue in the browser and the ability to hold a key to repeat that has been added. GREAT WORK! Thanks for the hardwork!
    i voted xfor the hardwafe keynboard but i am typinvg this replh with the vkb. this is how it works for me every time. and i cant backspace to fix my mistakes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast