1.    #1  
    So I have a backup Pre still in the box...and I am really struggling financially and am considering selling it. Problem is now ppl can get one for fairly cheap depending on their circumstances. I noticed that the *unlocked* Pre's are still pretty pricey, say on ebay for example...which would make it worth it for me to spend the $40 to get it unlocked.

My question is, is it worth it? Are they actually selling? Most of the ones on ebay are "Buy it now", so it's impossible to know.

Any suggestions on how to get the most $$ for this Pre? (..and believe me..I do NOT want to sell it...I love the idea of having a back-up..lol..)
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    you bought two devices???
  3.    #3  
    lol...no...I had a replacement sent to me a few months back, so it was reletively new...then I was due for an upgrade, but what was I going to upgrade to? So I talked them into giving me another Pre for $50. I figured it would come in handy if I had any trouble with mine, but with my financial problems I started looking into selling it...and it seems unlocked ones go for alot more - but I know nothing about that, hence my inquiry..

Not that I would be opposed to buying two of them...I LOVE my Pre..
  4.    #4  
    87 views and no answers? Come on Pre-gods..I know you're there..
    Just sell it straight up. No point wasting money you might not get back.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
    Just sell it straight up. No point wasting money you might not get back.
    The difference would be significant though..

..I did consider putting it on ebay as *unlocked*, but not actually unlocking it until it sold..

...I guess I was hoping that someone here had some experience with either selling or buying an unlocked one..
    what carrier are you on?
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    If you can ship internationaly I think the most important is if it is "activated".
    you can still check on ebay prices for listings that already ended. I checked briefily (you can do the same, there is an option on the left side of the screen under "refine search" that lets you see how much previous listings sold for) and most unlocked pres plus' sold for 300+ if brand new.
  10.    #10  
    @Audemars02 Sprint

@jossanaijr Do you mean ever, or currently? It's brand new and has never been activated. Are unlocked pre's more popular for overseas? Excuse the ignorance when it comes to this but I really don't know much about it..

@mariolive7 Sweet.. thanx...I saw what they were up for sale for, but didn't know how to see what they already sold for..
    For countries where it is not available yet it is easy to unlocked it but difficult to "activate it". If it is not activated in an official country (US, German...) the App Catalog is empty / blank and no option for free or paid apps available (must homebrew...). If you can activate it (AT&T) you can ask buyer first if he wants or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    @Audemars02 Sprint
    If you have a Sprint Pre, there is no such thing as "unlocking" the phone. Unlocking refers to the GSM phones (e.g. AT&T in the US) where you can put in a SIM card from another carrier and it will allow the phone to connect to that carrier. The Sprint phones dont use SIM cards and will only ever work on Sprint, and there is nothing you can do to solve that. sorry
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    If you have a Sprint Pre, there is no such thing as "unlocking" the phone. Unlocking refers to the GSM phones (e.g. AT&T in the US) where you can put in a SIM card from another carrier and it will allow the phone to connect to that carrier. The Sprint phones dont use SIM cards and will only ever work on Sprint, and there is nothing you can do to solve that. sorry
    Aaaah crap...that's the kind of info I needed...that sux, but at least now I know I have to just sell it as is.

Well..maybe..lol..I know it sounds stupid, but even though my current Pre works just great, I have a little happy thought about the one still in the box...and nothing short of a couple hundred dollars would make me feel ok about parting with it. *sigh*
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Aaaah crap...that's the kind of info I needed...that sux, but at least now I know I have to just sell it as is.

Well..maybe..lol..I know it sounds stupid, but even though my current Pre works just great, I have a little happy thought about the one still in the box...and nothing short of a couple hundred dollars would make me feel ok about parting with it. *sigh*

Just be prepared to provide the ESN to any potential buyers so they can ensure it is all legit. And just to offer them an additional measure of security, set a Paypal account so they can pay you via Paypal and know they have some measure of recourse if the ESN doesn't check out via Sprint.

I may be in the market for a new Pre for my wife or daughter. If you can meet the above suggestions just send me a PM, we can talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Just be prepared to provide the ESN to any potential buyers so they can ensure it is all legit. And just to offer them an additional measure of security, set a Paypal account so they can pay you via Paypal and know they have some measure of recourse if the ESN doesn't check out via Sprint.
    Another way to do this is just go to a sprint store to do the transaction. Ask the sprint rep to activate the phone on your account or the buyer's account. This will demonstrate that the ESN is clean and you can deal in cash, if that's what you'd prefer.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post

I may be in the market for a new Pre for my wife or daughter. If you can meet the above suggestions just send me a PM, we can talk.
    Yeah if I decide to go through with it I'll definitely hit ya up...I guess I should decide soon before the prices drop too low...but wow...I would have never guessed parting with an 'extra' phone would be so hard..