1.    #1  
    I just recently got my pre with sprint and got the mobile hotspot app, my mom only a few days ago got the pre plus with verizon, I wanted to know what data plans for each would i need to run it. I am to scared to ask sprint considering I am not supposed to have it anyway and verizon said it came with the internet data plan. Can anyone confirm this for verizon and answer me for sprint what data plan I need or if the $70 unlimited plan they advertise would work.

EDIT: new question: Anyone else try to connect to xbox live with the palm mobile hotspot? It just doesnt seem to be working for me, I am using the original pre on sprint to do so if that helps at all
    Last edited by manordwall; 06/30/2010 at 04:06 PM.
    It's free with verzion but part of the data plan and if your on sprint you should have unlimited data. But shhhh don't tell Sprint!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    It's free with verzion but part of the data plan and if your on sprint you should have unlimited data. But shhhh don't tell Sprint!
    So does this mean that the $70 plan that sprint always advertises will work or not? The one that is unlimited calling web text and other stuff
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Yes it works with the normal Sprint data plan. Remember with stuff like this as far as Sprint's concerned... don't ask, don't tell.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
  5.    #5  
    Can anyone triple confirm this, Its not that I dont trust you guys I am just not interested in a big extra charge on a bill I dont pay
    pretty sure on Verizon it's an extra $40 a month to run the hot spot. The app comes with the phone but you have to pay to use it. is this wrong?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SinsofaSaint View Post
    pretty sure on Verizon it's an extra $40 a month to run the hot spot. The app comes with the phone but you have to pay to use it. is this wrong?
    At the verizon store we were told that as of right now it is included in the internet package for no extra charge
    The app is free to use on Verizon, no monthly charge, as part of their effort to purge the phones from their inventory.

And yes, I have the $70 unlimited plan and it does work. However, it's working is dependent on the homebrew community and can break with subsequent OS updates, so if you absolutely HAVE to have it, no caveats, then you need Verizon. However, if you just like it was a bonus and won't cry tears if it gets disabled by Palm in a subsequent update on Sprint, then you're good to go on Sprint.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    so i'm very confused then, i pay $30 for the unlimited plan and was told when I got the phone to add the mobile hotspot it was another $40 a month... am i missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by SinsofaSaint View Post
    so i'm very confused then, i pay $30 for the unlimited plan and was told when I got the phone to add the mobile hotspot it was another $40 a month... am i missing something?
    Look on the Verizon website, the 3G hotspot is included with the phone. The rep didn't know what they were talking about. If you add in on your line, you should see a +0.00 charge.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Yeah it was a fee for verizon but they made it FREE a few months ago. I been using Mobile Hotspot on my Sprint Pre since it came out but you need to have free tether installed also in order for it work on sprint
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    It's this easy: Mobile Hotspot is FREE on Verizon and Sprint. With Sprint you have to install Preware/Quickinstall to install the patch and app on your phone. I use it on my Sprint Pre and my girlfriend uses it on her Verizon Pre+

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html
    awsome... thanks for the heads up! not sure what sales rep was thinking, but i just moved and have no internet for two weeks till they come out and hook it up so this is great to know!!
    ok ... i decided to look it up ... according to the website the program is free, but the service has an additional cost.

the 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature that will have a $40 incremental cost with a 5GB data allowance with $0.05MB overage rate.
    HOWEVER ...

Activating the Palm Mobile Hotspot application requires you to subscribe to the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, which includes a 5GB monthly allowance for an additional monthly charge. Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please log in to your account at verizonwireless.com, select add a feature, and add the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature.
    there is no option to add this feature on my account. Lots of double-speak if you ask me.

*** UPDATE *** I did in fact call a Verizon representative and they said it was in fact free but there is a 5 GB limit providing you were within the Verizon Wireless Broadband Services Rate and Coverage Area.
    Last edited by siuvhne; 06/30/2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Legal Answer: Mobile Hotspot is ILLEGAL to have on your Palm Pre for Sprint, it is ILLEGAL to be tethering your Palm Pre for Sprint Services. By ILLEGAL, Terms of Service. They are capable of BILLING YOU for your extra usage.

Real World Answer: Don't Ask, Don't Tell. I know sprint employees that use it. Don't abuse it like some nut and download music and 10's to 100's of GB's and you will be fine, stay under a 5GB range to be un-noticed for safe keeping. It is Unlimited. Mobile Hotspot and MyTether have been blocked with every update. Expect it to happen with 1.4.5 and so on and so forth. Each update someone finds a way to get tethering working again.

I use it when im on a vacation trip where a Hotel doesn't have internet service for free, or other related areas. Works great on my netbook. I find it stupid providers rip you a new one for services like this. With sprint tethering has always been there, its more of a... back alley we don't do anything about it kinda thing.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the response's everyone this has definitely answered both my questions. This is why I rely on precentral with a pre more than I do crackberry with a blackberry
    I have had my Pre Plus on Verizon for a few months the free hotspot was what sealed the deal for me and is still unmatched as far as I know on any other phone - the Android phones have it but for an extra charge. Just this past weekend I was at a meeting and we had no wireless where we were, and had five of us on line on our laptops on my Pre. Despite the drawbacks to my Pre overall I am still glad this is my phone and this is probably reason #1. Don't worry about the 5 gb limit - you'll never come close unless you're really going wild...